• March 28, 2024, 10:15:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What media player is compatible with DNS-323?  (Read 9737 times)

gugaucb

• Level 2 Member
What media player is compatible with DNS-323?
« on: December 26, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »

What media player is compatible with DNS-323?

ccontreras

Re: What media player is compatible with DNS-323?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »

The DSM series media players should be compatible with the DNS-323

gugaucb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 03:22:04 AM »

Is "Linksys Media Center Extender with DVD - DMA2200" compatible with DNS-323?

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »

System Setup: DSM-510, DNS-323, DIR-655 (WIRED CONNECTION)

In my personal experience I have found that the DSM-320 has horrific performance while playing divx and xvid. Not only that but there is a significant L-A-G (like 3 seconds) when pressing any button on the remote.

I recently acquired the DSM-510 and found playback to be great but thee are some issues with the device which shouldn't impede your use too much. Such as when you press Video on the remote the list will be empty but if you press server on the remote you can navigate to the folders which have your videos and play them. This is the same for music and photos as well. Note that the DSM-510 photo slideshow is slow even when set to 3sec and that photo rescaling on the device is BAD period. I haven't tried it out but I think that in order to have acceptable quality/speed all the photos will have to be resized. The biggest problem with the remote button issue is that when you have hundreds of folders and thousands of pics you would like to manage them  or view them in accordance to album or time frame. As of now you can only navigate to the folders and play each folder or play all. CUMBERSOME INDEED! I have a 3rd level tech support person trying to figure this issue out. Also note that the 520 is older than the 510 and I have been told that the 510 handles divx/xvid much better.

One other thing worth mentioning is that you will have to manually refresh the media server on the DNS-323 everytime you add a file that you want available to the media player. In otherwords be prepared to wait a long time if you have thousand of photos, videos and music. It's worth the wait...but still VERY annoying. Hopefully a firmware upgrade will address this issue.

Do a search on my posts you will see everything that I am experiencing. Do I think a product should work seamlessly given that that all the components are from the same company? Yes! Should the product have been release and sold before having been thoroughly tested? No! Though some issues cannot all be forseen, the issue with the DNS-323 media player refresh and the video/music/photo button on the remote should have been at the top of the list. Now since there are a limited number of media player products in the market I still recommend this product (DSM-510) even knowing the issues that I am currently experiencing.

I hope this helps.

Lucid

P.S. Don't forget to search my posts.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:41:07 AM by Lucid »

gugaucb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:15:20 AM »

Thanks Lucid,
     I gave up buy the Media player of DLink. I will wait more.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 01:22:02 AM by gugaucb »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 03:24:52 PM »

Our D-Link DSM series media players are supported by the DNS-323 many other media players and media extenders will work with the DNS-323 but we do not have a list of tested working devices. The DNS-323 follows the UPnP AV standards and should work with most devices that stream from a media server.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mbelli

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »

I've been using the DNS-323 on my home theatre network now for the past 3 months and the unit has worked great!

DivX, Xvid and MKV (HD) files playback perfectly as long as you don't use Windows Media Player. I'm using a Toshiba Vista laptop connected to a Samsung 52" DLP HD TV via VGA cable (not quite as good as HDMI but still, quite stunning picture quality).

The Toshiba laptop is hard wired to my home network so I get instant access of my media contained on two 500 Gig drives inside the DNS-323.  Video plays back perfectly if you substitute Windows Media Player with any one of these excellent players and install the K-Lite codec pack:

- KMPlayer (my absolute favorite)
- Windows Media Player Classic
- GOM player
- Zoom Player

All the above are free and better than Windows Media Player when it comes to video handling and using system resources. So the fact that Windows Media Player stutters when playing movies from the DNS-323, is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

I might add that the DNS-323 is one of the best things I've ever purchased. I can't rave enough about it. Prior to using it, I was close to throwing my PC's out the window due to the all kinds of firewall and folder sharing issues that prevented my PC's from communicating with each other. The 323 is always available to any of my PC's hooked into my network -- ALWAYS!!!

One thing though, if there's lots of bandwidth activity over my network or I'm downloading files directly to the 323, I have noticed some mild video stuttering if watching a movie. By reducing/stopping write/read operations to the 323 eliminated this problem entirely.

Love, love this unit!!!

gugaucb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 03:53:11 AM »

Does the KMPlayer, GOM or Zoom player work with UPnP-AV Protocol?

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »

Pardon my naiveté but if you have a full computer to play the music on why don't you just grab the files via SMB or best of all FTP?  If your media player can play the formats as they arrive on the wire it should be able to play it as it arrives on the wire regardless of delivery.

That said I believe all people should enjoy the magic that is mplayer and it's various spin offs and front ends.  It really is an amazing little media player.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

mbelli

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 12:12:15 PM »

Sorry, I'm not quite sure "what UPnP-AV Protocol" is exactly.

The DNS-323 goes into one of my SpeedTouch 780s free ports and a long ethernet cable goes from the SpeedTouch to a Vista laptop a few rooms away. My laptop has numerous media players and all play video and music great except for Media Player 11, which stutters on some video material.

Frankly for all I know, I might not have enough RAM on my laptop or a powerful enough video card (it's only a $600 laptop) to properly run WMP.

Windows Media Player does play MP3's nicely from the DNS-323, so at one point I had the great idea of working directly on the DNS-323 and moved my WMP music library to the 323. Well, this proved to be a pain, via basic ethernet the speed is too slow and normal WMP operations which were instant on my SATA drives, took as long as 5-minutes to complete going through the DNS-323.

So, I put my music library back and now just copy the music I want to share to the 323. I actually think that Microsoft discourages the use of network drives for WMP library storage.

Again -- love this product!!!! I'm playing my entire DVD collection on it, which I converted to DivX. I've had no issues running the DNS-323 with Vista and it was very easy and fast to set up.