• April 25, 2024, 09:09:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Exteme latency in games (wireless)  (Read 8099 times)

abowlofsoda

• Level 1 Member
Exteme latency in games (wireless)
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:43:07 PM »

I have the A4 version of this with the latest? firmware 1.37NA.    I am on Comcast Business class internet with 50/10 speeds.

Speed test from 2 different places show 54mb/10 up which is normal.
Downloading a file through newsgroups I get the full speed of my connection, consistantly thru the whole transfer.
I can steam Youtube video and HD Netflix at the same time without buffering or issues.
I can surf the web without any issues.

When I load up Team Fortress 2 or Borderlands 2 things go to hell.    I ping the server I'm connecting to on TF2 and I notice 2000+ms pings.  I can't move around in the game without it going nuts and placing me all over the place after short freezes.

This all happeneds without any other device connected. Nothing is downloading when I try to game.  I have no cordless phones. I tried switching channels.  I've tried channel bonding with and without.  I turned off WMM, WISH, DNS Relay, QOS, etc etc..  I've looked thru tons of threads over a 2 day period and tried many many suggestions.   I have done a factory reset before and after a firmware flash.  

I'm loving everything about this router until I turn on a game.    What would cause that?   Please give advice outside the box as I've been thru all the typical stuff.

I picked this thing up used.   Thinking about buying a brand new one- I like it that much..  I just would hate to find out I have the same problem with a new one.

I have a Linksys WRT54G that works flawlessly with the same modem and cables.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:48:56 PM by abowlofsoda »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Exteme latency in games (wireless)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:15:14 AM »

Link>Welcome!
  • What region are you located?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • Any cordless house phones?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
  • Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Enabled WMM Enable.

3rd Party Security Software Configurations
  • Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
  • Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
6" minimum safe distance between devices.

Your old linksys router probably doesn't adhere to the Good Neighbor Policy maybe one reason why that router worked, also its a G only router.

BTW, it's highly recommended to game over a wired LAN connection as wireless can introduce various problems due to many variables in operation on 2.4Ghz.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:33:27 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

abowlofsoda

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »

My pings come down and my game is playable when I'm downloading a file thru usenet (saturating my connections full speed).   The moment the file completed the ping shot up and the lag started again (I was watching the download on my 2nd monitor).

How is that possible?     What setting would cause that.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

Almost sounds like something else is going on your network other than your game and the download...

Does this happen if your wired to the router on the gaming device?
Please post your responses to the questions presented so we can get a better idea of your system and provide you with better feedback.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

abowlofsoda

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »

I'm in Sacramento, CA USA
Factory reset was performed before and after firmware update and set up from scratch
Router firmware was upgraded before I tested gaming
Purchased brand new DIR-655 today from the store with firmware B1 on it-  Same issue
Upgraded to brand new CAT-6 cable from router to Comcast Modem
Comcast branded Modem is a SMC model SMCD3G  (Docsis 3.0) subscribed to the 50down/10 up package (Business class)
I tried wireless mode mixed b/g/n, tried g, tried n, tried g/n.  Same issue
I tried channel width at 20mhz and 20/40mhz.  Same issue
I tried channels 1, 6 and 11 with a mixture of the above.  Same issue.
I tried no security, I've tried WPA-Personal WPA2/AES only.  I've tired TPIK and AES.   Same issue
There are no cordless phones plugged in.   I unplugged my wireless mouse and used a corded mouse.  Same issue.
I've used InSSIDer to see I have someone with a very weak signal covering channel 1-3 and once in a while 1 or 2 networks show up around 9-11 also very weak signals.
I've tried ON and OFF of Short GI, WLAN Partition, and WMM Enable.  Same issue
I've tried Firewall off, Endpoint independant.  Same issue.
I've tried manual uplink at multiple different settings and cable broadband.  I've tried setting WAN to 100mb.
I don't use 3rd party firewalls.   I don't have any anti-virus on.
I've tried all this stuff with nothing else connected to the network.

I HAVEN'T tried wired gaming but the wired computer in the other room works fabulously smooth on everything but gaming (no video card worth testing anything).
I'll need to find a cable long enough to reach the router today since I'm about out of settings to toggle in the firmware.

If I hook back my Linksys WRT54G g router it works flawlessly. Gaming is perfect.  I am not violating any Good Neighbor Policies and the router won't even do channel bonding.

I'll update more as I try more things.   Still seems odd that it works fine while downloading a file. You would expect the opposite effect.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »

• If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

Its not that your violation Good Neighbor policy, its the fact that your older Linksys router does not include this standard in that router and is more or less a beast on the block and a bully when it comes to wireless. All newer generation routers have this Good Neighbor policy built in to the wireless framework so that neighboring routers will play nice next to each other.

Check out a wired connected on your gaming PC and test. I presume this is a wireless issue. You might update your wireless adapter card drivers if there are any as well.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:01:40 PM by FurryNutz »

abowlofsoda

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:40:25 PM »

Wired gaming worked fine but my speeds were a fraction of what they should of been on a download and a speed test.

I then did a factory default reset from the Tools > System menu.   Unplugged the LAN cord and disabled adapter, went back and enabled my wireless N adapter.

Upon reboot I had great download speeds, a good speed test and gaming was stable and running good.  SUCCESS!

But wait.. thats the new router I just bought today.   So lets try all that for the old router. 
Nope back to the problems.

I been looking in to downgrading the firmware from the 1.37NA but haven't been able to find any that would work.   Not even the russian or german firmwares would work.

I'm about to give up on it and write it off as broken wifi.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »

Seems like this could be a configuration issue.

I don't have any problems while gaming when I do game on Wifi. I gaming on XBL when I do gaming on WiFi.

Wired speeds should not be a fraction of what you have on Wifi, and should be way better. Something is not right.

Maybe someone can review your router settings with you using Link> teamviewer if your interested. Its safe and secure.