• April 24, 2024, 10:46:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 and DWA-652  (Read 6208 times)

aces40love

DIR-655 and DWA-652
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

Hi. I just purchased the DIR-655 about two weeks ago. At first, I couldn't connect wirelessly with my laptop's built-in wireless adapter so I purchased the DLink Wireless PCMCIA adapter DWA-652. I am able to connect to the SSID, however cannot maintain a steady internet connection. It's really wierd, the wireless card never looses it's connection to the router but the internet will always give "Page cannot be displayed" after about 1-2 mins of usage.  I have done hard resets on both my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard SB4200 - Comcast) and the router to no avail. I have tried using wireless security, no security, broadcasting SSID and not broadcasting which doesn't seem to matter. I have upgraded to the latest firmware today which didn't seem to help either. I even manually assigned an ip address to the card and still get the same result. Any ideas?

PS - Running Win XP SP3, Alienware Area 51M 7700, using DWA-652

bspvette86

Re: DIR-655 and DWA-652
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 01:22:53 PM »

Not sure what type of laptop you have, but in my case, I had an Atheros based wireless abg card built in that had to have the drivers un-installed and then be disabled in the bios.  If I didn't do that, the DWA652 would connect, but never recieved an IP from the DHCP server in the 655.  You might also check your router log to see if you are getting the infamous deauthentication errors.

Cheers!
BV

tipstir

• Level 3 Member
    • Tipstir's LAN ZONE
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:49:26 PM »

You should be able to disable the internal wireless mini card in Windows. What would make more sense is to replace that mini wireless card inside with Draft-N 300Mb/s. This would cost you less than using a external PCMICA or PCI-Express Card. Thus you can use the internal ANT usually embedded in LCD panel.
LAN Zone | Twitter @ tipstir | Youtube @ tipstir | Facebook @ tipstir

DIR-655 A3 1.11 APNs | DP-301U (3x)

bspvette86

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:50:05 PM »

aces40love,
Bring up device manager,  double click on the built in wireless card, and click on the Driver tab.  What is shown as the Driver Provider?

Cheers!
BV

vrod2003

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »

:(  I am having the same problems.  I am unable to maintain my connection as it loses the IP address.  I even went in and created a DHCP reservation for each MAC address, but to no avail.  I'm running firmware 1.11 since 1.20 was a complete disaster and cost me three days of lost time to repair.  I have tried every remedy I can think of at this point.  I have the same problem on three different computers and I have it whether I connect to the router via the DWA652 or an Ethernet cable.  The router seems to be unable to sustain an IP address and pass it on to the connected computers.

Any suggestions?  Let me know if you need specific information from me and I will be glad to oblige.  Thank you.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 07:13:44 PM »

:(  I am having the same problems.  I am unable to maintain my connection as it loses the IP address.  I even went in and created a DHCP reservation for each MAC address, but to no avail.  I'm running firmware 1.11 since 1.20 was a complete disaster and cost me three days of lost time to repair.  I have tried every remedy I can think of at this point.  I have the same problem on three different computers and I have it whether I connect to the router via the DWA652 or an Ethernet cable.  The router seems to be unable to sustain an IP address and pass it on to the connected computers.

Any suggestions?  Let me know if you need specific information from me and I will be glad to oblige.  Thank you.

Do all your computers belong to the same Workgroup? Are you using Network Magic that came with the Router? Are you making use of the Mac / Network Filter or Network Lock?

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

vrod2003

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »

No, they are three independent computers.  I found Network Magic to be more trouble than it was worth.  It did some things well, but created just as many other problems.  Additionally, I found it would not work with my Mac and would not work with the VPN on the one computer.

I have tried the Mac filtering in the past, but eliminated it since it was of little security value.  I have never used Network filters.  How and why would I use them?  No, I have not used a Network Lock either.  Again, how and why?

Thanks for the questions.