• April 23, 2024, 06:44:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 Routor and Parental Control  (Read 36701 times)

mike44444

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 Routor and Parental Control
« on: April 06, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »

Hi, I recently installed the DIR-655 for my home network system. I currently have 2 desktops and 1 laptop connected to the system. one of the desktops is directly connected across ethernet cable while the other 2 are wireless.

I want to be able to have schedule control on just only one desktop which is for my daughter, but not have this schedule affect the other 2 computers, what is the best approach to my dilema. Any input would be greatly appreciated. All this networking stff is fairly new to me, I spent countless hours to get to where I am with everything functioning. BTW - the wireless desktop in question has the XP OS.

Thanks,

Mike

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Re: DIR-655 Routor and Parental Control
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »

Access Control.

Part 1 - Get the MAC address of the computer you want to restrict.
Setup -> Network Settings -> Look at the DHCP Client List -> Write down the MAC address

Part 2 - Create the schedule (times you wish to deny access, e.g. 10pm-5pm)
Tools -> Schedules
Name -> Give it a name
Days -> Choose All Days or define a range.  **If you want to define a weekend schedule that is different that then weekday schedule, then create TWO schedules.**
Specify a start & end time
Click Save -> Reboot the router
**If you're doing multiple schedules, create your additional schedules before moving on

Part 3- Create a new access policy.
Advanced -> Access Control -> Add Policy -> Next
Give it a name -> Next
Click the dropdown box where it says "Always" -> Choose the schedule you defined -> Next
Select MAC -> Enter the MAC address you wrote down earlier -> OK -> Next
Select Block All Access -> Save -> Reboot the router
**If you're doing multiple schedules, create your additional policy after the router reboots

Done.

Notes:
1)  Make sure the DIR-655 has a really difficult admin password; but not too difficult that you can't recall it.
2)  NEVER use an IP address to do filtering.  It's too easy to bypass.  Always use a MAC address.  Remember:  KIDS ARE SMART
3)  Regarding schedules, the first time is when you wish to begin denying access.  The second time is when you wish to stop denying access.  Most parents are going to want to start denying at some point in the evening and allow access at some point the following day.  My above example begins denying access at 10pm, then on the following day at 5pm, the kids can get back on.
4)  If you are doing multiple schedules, pay careful attention that your times don't overlap or you'll end up with less access or a computer that is always denied access
5)  You could also consider using the SecureSpot feature of the DIR-655.  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:25:16 PM by ttmcmurry »

mike44444

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 01:50:24 PM »

Thanks! I will have to give it a try.

Regards,

Mike

GZ

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-655 Router and Parental Control
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »

Greetings,

As background, our homeschooled teenager was getting a little distracted with the constant availability to the internet, so we set up two access control policies for that computer (identified by mac address). We ended up with two very similar access control policies because we wanted to block all internet usage at the same time for most days, but on Wednesdays we needed to block a little longer. This obviously required two schedules and two access control policies tied to the same machine. We made sure the schedules did not overlap, and I can confirm this setup has been working just fine for some time now.

Recently, however our student enrolled in an online biology class. Instead of blocking the entire internet I realized I could use the "Website Filter" feature of the DIR-655 Router to allow that computer to access only that website (while the policy was active).

I'm writing because after I modified the existing policies to enable the website filter (which was configured to "ALLOW computers access to ONLY these sites"), I found all devices in the house were suddenly denied access to the internet (they don't even get to access the sites in the website filter).

As a computer programmer by vocation, I can see where the website filter would be applied to all devices, but the documentation says:

"When Access Control is disabled, every device on the LAN has unrestricted access to the Internet. However, if you enable Access Control, Internet access is restricted for those devices that have an Access Control Policy configured for them. All other devices have unrestricted access to the Internet."

In our case, only one device has access control policies, so I was expecting the website filter to only apply to the one machine that is tied to the access control policies. I'm wondering if this is a known bug or error in the documentation. I tried to search the forum, but this thread was the only one I could find that mentioned access control.

I've got a DIR-655, Hardware Version: B1, Firmware Version: 2.07NA

Please let me know if I'm just doing something stupid, or you can confirm this is a bug in the firmware or an error in the documentation.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:46:38 PM by GZ »

GZ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:44:37 PM »

As an aside for those who set up schedules, one gotcha is that the router time must be correct. I was surprised to find the router defaulted to manual time so apparently rebooting the router was resetting the time to the firmware date. By enabling the automatic time lookup, the router had the correct time and the schedule was applied in the expected manner.

GZ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »

Of course my "aside" above was just an observation. I still remain puzzled why the website filter is applied to all devices attached to the router when only one machine has any access control policies set to use the website filter.

After spending some time on this, I concluded this must be a bug in the firmware (applying the website filter to everybody instead of just the machine with the access control policy). So I put things back the way they were and our student will have to use my wife's machine to access the internet during the scheduled "Internet blackout" periods.

Once again, if I have made some mistake, please by all means let me know. I would still very much like to use this feature for this purpose if possible. I just don't currently see any means to accomplish it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:17:25 PM by GZ »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »

Have you found any resolution on this? I should work for you and as expected. If your only inputting a rule for one PC. That PC should be the only one effected by the Filter and rules. All others should not be.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

GZ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »

Thank you so much for replying FN, as I would really like to get website filtering working for just the one computer (without blocking everyone else). Here's the current setup:

Model: DIR-655
Hardware: B1
Firmware: 2.07NA

Schedules:
(Name, Day(s), Time Frame)
"SMTTF", [Sun, Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri], 01:00-16:30 (1 AM until 4:30 PM)
"Wednesday", Wed, 01:00-18:30 (1 AM until 6:30 PM)
(NTP server enabled to ensure correct router time)

Access Control Policy Table:
(Enable, Policy Name, Machine,Filtering, logged, schedule)
Enabled, "Blocked1", {one single computer's mac address specified}, Block All Access, no, "SMTTF"
Enabled, "Blocked2", {same single computer's mac address specified}, Block All Access, no, "Wednesday"

The above configuration works fine to block the internet as we first desired. However, if I set the Website Filter to "ALLOW computers access to ONLY these sites" and specify the single site we want the one machine to be able to access, and then if I change the above policies to enable Website Filter (Block Some), then ALL computers on the network are blocked. If I change the policies back to "Block All Access", then the other computers go back to normal.

I saw in another thread  someone suggest creating a policy that listed all other devices on the network. I did this for just one machine with schedule "Never" as a test and that machine still could not access the internet, but it could be I need to do some reverse logic, like "Never" "Block All Access" or something. I will try this again when I have more time, although I remain puzzled why I would have to set up policies for all computers just to make sure this one computer can access a single site, but whatever.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.