• April 16, 2024, 10:24:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: can I acces xm radio or netflix videos using the DSM-520?  (Read 7330 times)

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
can I acces xm radio or netflix videos using the DSM-520?
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:14:33 AM »

On my PC I have the ability to stream XM or Sirrus satailite radio and also videos from netflix since I have a subscribition to these services. It is possible to play this content from my PC through the DSM-520 so I can view it or listen to it on my home theater system?

chenrikson

• Level 1 Member
Re: can I acces xm radio or netflix videos using the DSM-520?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 07:52:51 AM »

On my PC I have the ability to stream XM or Sirrus satailite radio and also videos from netflix since I have a subscribition to these services. It is possible to play this content from my PC through the DSM-520 so I can view it or listen to it on my home theater system?

Load up Active-TV and go to the XM Radio feed.  You will enter your username and password.  This process takes a little while, but once you are done you will have XM.  Be sure to log out the first time you use this service (XM) so as to save your username and password.  If you get a program called TVersity, you can then use a program called usirius to tune Sirius, or uxm to tune XM radio, tho these applications don't have a program guide.

Macfoo

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:02:48 AM »

I believe Netflix will work it works fine on MovieLinks with downloaded videos. You must be using WMP11 as you're media server to support the DRM and share the files in the Add to Librays options.

hmaurer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 06:50:25 AM »

Netflix works?

Whoaa! Could you help some of us with a step-by-step approach. What URL do we use? Is it a feed? How is the selection made? This would be awesome if it can really work!

Thanks for your help.

Macfoo

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »

I did it with MovieLink I have not tried Netflix but it may be similar. Once you downlad a video and saves it to your hard drive it give you a set amout of time to watch it before it expires. During this time you can play it as you would with any other .wmv file (using WMP11 as the media server).

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:01:29 PM »

Netflix does not allow you to download the movie. Once you are logged into the web site you can browse movie titles. Some of the movies have a play option. When you select the play option Netflix downloads an acitve x player into IE and then plays the movie from a stream. The movie is only buffered on your hard drive and not saved.

The question is; can this service be accesed from the DSM-520 directly from the internet or can it be served from a PC using media server software? This would be a nice feature to add to the DSM-520 for users that have a Netflix account. I have no idea how these things work.

A question for D-link; is it possible to do this with the current firmware and if not is it in the realm of possibility in a future frrmware release?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »

I am sorry but Netflix is not supported on the DSM-520. I can however forward a request for an added feature if approved this may be a feature in the future.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »

This could be feature in the active TV online software under movies and music. I use XM radio in the active TV online and I am able to login and listen to music. Adding Sirrus radio would be great also. I enjoy using the DSM-520 for playing media and look forward to more avialble online content. The DSM-520 is a great device.