• March 29, 2024, 06:48:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Sudden Internet Speed Drop  (Read 4661 times)

pewchewpew

• Level 1 Member
Sudden Internet Speed Drop
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:46:18 PM »

Hello, I'm using a D-LINK DIR-615 router, hardware version : C1 and firmware version 3.11NA (most recent firmware). It is hardwired to my desktop while I have a laptop that connects wirelessly.

I've been experiencing issues where I would still be connected to the router but the internet speed would suddenly drop to almost zero. Connecting to the router (192.168.0.1) is also very slow while my internet connection does not die nor does the signal strength drop dramatically (confirmed with inSSIDer). This has occurred when both the desktop and laptop are simultaneously accessing the internet AND when only the laptop is accessing the internet.

I often have to access the router via 192.168.0.1 (even if it takes a long time for the pages to load) and reboot it from there. After rebooting, the speed is fixed and I can go on using my internet. I usually have to reboot the router once at least every week. It has become very annoying and tiresome.

I've noticed that there has been a lot of TX packets dropped (wireless) but another forum said that as long as the percentage of dropped TX packets to the number sent is less than 5% then it's okay. For me, I have approximately 4%.

Can anyone shed some light on what is going on and how I could change the settings on my router to fix the internet speed drops? Thank you in advance.

Other information you may want to know :

802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11 n/g
Auto Channel Scan disabled (currently using channel 6, the one that gives me best signal strength in my neighborhood)
Channel Width : Auto 20/40 MHz
Visibility Status : Visible
Security Mode : WPA - Personal
WPA Mode : Auto (WPA or WPA2)
Cipher : TKIP and AES
Group Key Update Interval : 3600 seconds

Advanced Wireless Settings
Transmit Power : High
Beacon Period : 100
RTS Threshold : 2347
Fragmentation : 2346
DTIM Interval : 1
WLAN Partition : disabled
WMM Enable : enabled
Short GI : enabled

Advanced NetworkEnable UPnP : enabled
Enable WAN Ping Respond : disabled
WAN Port Speed : 10/100 Mbps Auto
Enable Multicast Streams : disabled
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:50:53 PM by pewchewpew »

Skello

• Level 3 Member
Re: Sudden Internet Speed Drop
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 01:17:10 AM »

I experienced this when I ran on factory firmware, before switching over to DD-WRT. To me it was happening when I was downloading something on torrents with many connections on the desktop. The wireless connection on the laptop was almost unusable.

I suspect it has something to do with poor resource management. All those connections eating up all the RAM too fast and the router not having any for the wireless ones. A form of self-denial-of-service (DoS) if you will.

I don't really have a solution to this. Just wanted to share my similar experience. I have a D1 though. You could switch to DD-WRT if you're up for it.

pewchewpew

• Level 1 Member
Re: Sudden Internet Speed Drop
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:06:55 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion. My speed drops on my laptop whenever my desktop is connected but it has never gone down that dramatically. The sudden speed drop also occurs when my desktop is not on. D-LINK hasn't come up with new firmware for the DIR-615 C1 almost two years now...I think it's time for a switch to DD-WRT!

Speaking of DDoS, I'm also getting a lot of these messages on my logs :

Blocked incoming TCP packet from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx to xx.xxx.xxx.xx:xxxxx with unexpected sequence

Before when I had my logs on, messages like the one above would show up very often...often to the point of 'flooding' my logs and causing the router to die on me. So I had to turn off all logging. I've read elsewhere that the message is telling me the router's firewall is at work but to get so many of those messages? Hmmm...