• March 28, 2024, 06:34:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DSM-520 audio out of sync if FF  (Read 11397 times)

seal6kill

DSM-520 audio out of sync if FF
« on: February 09, 2008, 11:07:07 AM »

I have been having this issue since the latest firmware upgrade and wanted to see if anyone had a fix.  When I am watching a video, typically an AVI file with Xvid or Divx MPEG-4 encodcoding file with MP3 sound, I either fast forward or use the numbers to jump and the audio is then out of sync.  If I just watch it regular without fast forwarding it works fine.  I have tried the standard media server app that D-Link has, TVersity, as well as Windows Media Player 11 as the media server and the audio get's out of sync with all of them.  If I play the file on the PC and FF it is fine as well.  All of this leads me to believe it is something with the DSM-520's firmware but I have no way to go back in a FW revision to test (as far as I know).

I did check one additional thing which I am not sure has an actual impact but seems to.  If I open the AVI file with GSpot and look at the Stream Type and A/V Interleave section the files that do not FF well are all Type: AVI, IMRR: 1.00 and in the I/L section they do not have the 'p' specified which I looked up and is a setting for an audio sync mark.  The files that FF fine are Type: OpenDML AVI, Version: 1.00 and have a 'p=498' or similar in the line for I/L.

I would love for a D-Link person to comment on the following:

1. if there was something in the latest firmware that would cause this
2. Is D-Link actively working on a fix for this
3. Can I go back to an earlier firmware version manually and if so how?

I should also state that I am running the DSM-520 through component because it does not work with my new TV and HDMI.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:08:42 AM by seal6kill »

boggystudios

Re: DSM-520 audio out of sync if FF
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:09:43 PM »

I am having the same problem.  I really wish we could get a fix for this.  It is really annoying.

jrandell

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »

I am having the same issue and it is driving me batty. can someone from Dlink address this topic?

tlchris

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »

I have the same problem, could someone at D-Link acknowledge that there is a problem?

Its driving me crazy.

jrandell

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »

this is a polite page for ECF, D-link Technical Services Moderator.
can we get an acknowledgment from Dlink on this issue? and whether you are, or are not planing to address it?

thank you for your attention,
-JR

skeil909

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »

I have the same problem with ALL AVI's but only if I run wireless. Wired and playing my DivX/XviD (AC3/DTS) they stay in sync no matter how much jumping around I do.

All my AVI's come up as OpenDML (v2.0), Interleave: 96 ms (2.3 v.frames), preload=96.  I haven't seen any "AVI, IMRR: 1.00" encodes in my travels. 

Are you all running wired or wireless? 

What encoding software or device produces the encode with the problem?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:31:50 PM by skeil909 »

boggystudios

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »

I am running wireless right now because I don't want to use wires.  54/Mbps is plenty bandwidth to stream HD content.  I can stream content to my laptop with absolutely no problems.  The problem is the DSM-520 and I have just about decided that they won't fix any of these problems, instead just point us to the DSM-720 when it comes out and then make us spend another 300-400 dollars.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »

AVI is supported as AVI (mpeg layer 4).

Are all AVI files encoded AVI (mpeg layer 4) we recommend Nero recode settings: Nero Digital Category: Nero Digital, Nero Digital Profile: Standard? 

We are currently looking into some issues with other AVI formats and setting to further support AVI playback. Some AVI's that are not mp4 have been found to have an issue with out sync audio.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

lotsotech

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 06:55:22 PM »

Regardless of file type, I've found that AVIs encoded from TV shows always get out of sync when you jump around whereas AVIs from DVDs are fine.  I'd imagine the issue is that the former have been joined together (to remove commercials) whereas the latter we're probably done in a single pass encode.

I've got 400+GB of stuff on my D-Link and I wouldn't consider re-encoding an option.  One, that'd only further degrade the video, second they all play fine on my PC.

tlchris

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 02:44:32 PM »

I dont want to re encode with nero, take too much time and too much hd space.

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:47:21 AM »

I don't understand how re-encoding can be a valid suggestion.  These files worked before the firmware upgrade and don't work now.  Something obviously has been broken.

The new features in the firmware are awesome, however if it does not play the video files correctly then the unit is un-useable even with the new features.

In my case I have two units, one at 1.02 firmware and one at 1.05.  The 1.02 plays all supported video files perfectly(the ones listed in the DLink manual).  The one at 1.05 has major out of sync problems with some of these exact same files (both are connected to the same computer and server software).   On top of this, the unit that is currently at 1.05 played all the files perfectly UNTIL I upgraded it to 1.05. 

Basically I have a DSM-520 that is un-useable until a firmware update comes out that gives me the same file support as was in 1.02.

KB

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »

What firmware did they work properly in?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

kolinb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »

version 1.02

mycomputers.ca

• Level 2 Member
    • MY Computers Corp
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »

yea from the very first version of the dsm that i had the 320 to the 520 it's always been out of sync.

another thing it's been a bit better with the 520 but still the same probelm with the audio sync.

daveman1000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 06:42:27 AM »

Pages: [1] 2