• April 20, 2024, 02:43:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vista X64  (Read 11813 times)

ZardozTX

• Level 1 Member
Vista X64
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:44:58 PM »

I just loaded the new Vista X64 drivers.

This did remove the "Unknown" device from Device Manager and the DNS-323 Icon shows up under "Network". Great!!!

Sadly - the system crashes - Blue Screen of Death - everytime the system goes into "Stand-By" mode.

It's happened 3 times and each time the system boots up OK.

There was an error message - saying it had to do with the system sleeping.

This is a totally new problem and just started with the install of the driver.

I have removed the driver and I am not having any problems.

Any Ideas???

TIA

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Re: Vista X64
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »

Please see....

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3906.0

What is the make/model of your machine?  What security product(s) do you have installed?

ZardozTX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »

TT,

I have a homebrew PC - Dual Dual-Cpu's - 4GB memory - Windows Vista X64 - SP1.

I am running Norton AntiVirus 2008.

I had a very simular (If not the same) problem as you. BSOD - I used system restore to get back to before the driver install. I had the same problem with Installing the driver - i.e. - it took forever - then timed out - but was installed.

BTW - I have two DNS-323's.

Anyone???

TIA

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »

At the time I was using both Vista x64 and Seven x64, both crashed.  Vista had Symantec Endpoint Protection v11.0.3000 on it (which is newer than norton 2008 -- SEP v11 is the corporate version of norton 2008) but Seven had no AV on it until I got it working today (v11.0.4010 was released on 2/17).

I use parenthesis too much.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:53:02 PM by ttmcmurry »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »

I think the anti-virus software is your issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:45 PM »

AV wasn't the issue; until yesterday I was never able to get AV to install.  I'd be happy to shoot a video of my system with no AV install, show the PNP-X driver install, then make it BSOD, it's really easy.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:22:36 PM by ttmcmurry »

ZardozTX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »

BTW - I am running Norton AV - Are you trying to say that your driver wil not work with Norton???

If so - then that sounds like a D-Link bug - not a problem with AV S/W!

ZardozTX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »

Still waiting to hear why the X64 driver causes a BSOD.

TIA!!!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:21:49 PM »

Or an issue with Norton?? So you were getting the BSOD without Norton installed to the PC? Could there be another issue with you PC?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ZardozTX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:26:41 PM »

Why would I remove Norton? ttmcmurry has this without any AV installed.

If your S/W will not work with AV installed then it's not very realisitc - is it? Everyone much have some AV and Norton must be 1 or 2 in the world!

Just face facts - your S/W does not work with Suspend on Vista X64 and warn everyone!

whitegreyblack

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »

For what it's worth, I have NO issues with my DNS-323 and Vista x64... I put my computer in and out of sleep several times per day with no BSOD problems.

I think you might need to look deeper.

I do not use Norton AV - Avira for me.  Norton's name has been mud for me for many years... I steer well clear of any product with their name on it.  Your mileage may vary!

czentner

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »

Thank goodness I have checked in here.  I have had my DNS-323 for about a month now.  I set it all up, upgraded the firware to 1.06 and everthing was good until my machine started asking for the driver at startup (running Vista 64 Business).  I also looked in device manager and it had my DLink listed with the Yellow question mark.  Like any good IT person I installed the driver to try to make my machine happy and I have had nothing but issues since.  Like many of the other posts my machine does not go into sleep mode or shut down or restart without me having to power down.  It will also BSOD every once in a while at random when I am working on it with the same error mesaage saying my machine did not shut down properly.  I have never had issues like this previous to installing the driver.  I originally thought I had a virus so I checked Computer Managemen and the Application logs and there really was nothing in there.  I even phoned HP to see if they could help.  After some more of my own trouble shooting I found out the issue was with the driver so I have called DLink and have opened a ticket (Case ID: DCA1522921). 

Now I have tried to remove the driver.  I have tried going into Device Manager and clicking on my dlink device and removing the driver but my machine just freezes.  I have tried rolling back the driver and nothing.  I have also tried going to control panel and running regsrv32 \u to uninstall the driver, nothing there either.  I wuold just love to get ride of this driver and have my machine work good again.

Again like the other posts the driver did appear to install but took about an hour.  It also said it was not digitalled signed which is not a good thing.  Talking to people at work I know Vista 64x is very sticky when coming to drivers and gets mad if something is not right. 

As for Anti virus, I really do not think this has anything to do with it.  I am running AVG and that is it.  THe issue started exactly like the other posts after the driver was installed.

Myself the only reasion I installed it was because I thought it was necessary.  I do not need it for the special features especailly if it is going to cause such headaches.  Can DLink not fix this driver or maybe have something on the webpage stating its not needed, or not have a driver avaialbe that is going to crash their machine and cause it to be unstable??

I really just want my machine to work again the way it was supposed to without having to reformat it.  If you have had luck unnstalling the driver please let me know what you did.  Thanks.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »

My system is a Lenovo ThinkPad T61 with pretty much the basic system software set that ships with every ThinkPad of that generation.

I can do (and have done) a ThinkVantage System Restore to factory state and once the 323's PNP-X driver comes into play with the 323 on that network (i.e. I have to be at home, not work or Starbucks) I will get a BSOD as soon as I try to suspend or shutdown.  It's that simple. 

If my (W)NIC is off/disconnected, I never had trouble with it.

Perhaps it's the way the PNP-X driver interacts with Lenovo's Power Management Driver (if it interacts with it at all).  However, that would be a dialogue D-Link would have to discuss with Lenovo.  What I do know and can verify is the BSODs I have are linked to D-Link's driver causing an invalid power state which causes the Windows kernel to panic and the crash dumps point right in that direction.

Jet Black

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 02:39:14 PM »

What does the PNP-X Driver do? I'm using Vista 64 and have mapped my DNS-323 as a network drive and have absolutely no issues. What advantage is there in installing drivers?

Zardoz66

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »

To tell you truth I would blame norton more then dlink. most like norton AV  does not like something with the Dlink driver. norton AV can be just as much as fault as the dlink driver.

***UPDATE

I have the Vista 64 drivers installed with no issues. I do not use norton at all.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:16:42 PM by Zardoz66 »
Zardoz66

DGL-4300 v1.9 | DAP-1522 v1.20 | DGS-2208 | DPR-1260 v1.24 | DNS-323 v1.6
1Gb JF=9k single drive mode
1 Seagate ST3300831AS 3NF1E956 300 G 
2 Seagate ST3300831AS 3NF1E03G 300 G
Pages: [1] 2