• April 26, 2024, 12:51:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-160 A2 not working Windows 7 64bit, fails to activate, unable to connect  (Read 6938 times)

Dani723

• Level 1 Member

My DWA-160 is not working with my Netgear WNDR3700 (dual band) router on Windows 7. It's revision A2 DWA-160, firmware version 1.50(E).

I already have another PC connected to this router wirelessly and working well, so it's a problem with the adapter.

I just tried to install it today and when I try to 'activate' after adding my SSID and network key, it says it is 'attempting to authenticate' in the dlink wireless icon under network connections, and that message remains indefinitely. If I try to connect through the Windows 7 options it says 'windows was unable to connect' for 2.4 and 5G modes. The network key is definitely correct. Strangely sometimes when I hit activate, I get no 'attempting to authenticate' message, but same result, doesn't work.

I read that there are compatibility issues sometimes with Windows 7, but also checked with Windows and apparently it is compatible. I also read of users saying the DWA-160 worked with Windows 7 64 bit before I bought it.

I have tried to install the latest 1.80 drivers for windows 7, but I'm told that I already have the latest version when I try. I have also tried the XP drivers listed, no change. However the version listed in the device manager says 3.5.0.21 regardless of whether I install with the CD that came with it, or try and get the latest drivers, or the XP drivers, it doesn't change. So are these installations working properly at all?

I have another wireless network listed when I plug in the adapter. 'microsoft virtual wifi miniport', but I read that this is just for developers and I should just ignore it. It doesn't work either.

I've tried to connect disabling my Comodo firewall and running it, no change.

I ran cfconfig reading the troubleshooting, and saw the subnet mask and IP is was assigned from the router were all filled in properly.

Can someone please suggest something else for me to try?

Thanks.