• April 19, 2024, 05:48:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: When? or forced to use 3rd party media server hacks?  (Read 3870 times)

slyder

• Level 2 Member
When? or forced to use 3rd party media server hacks?
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:45:12 PM »

Just curious about when we can expect some fundamental upgrades to the media server components to facilitate the more common media type compatibility that many are seeking?.. or are we forced to HACK this box to use 3rd party alternatives such as Twonkey or Mediatomb etc?.

Preference would be for Dlink to simply and quickly facilitate some of the more simple and fundamental additions to the firmware which would certainly seem to alleviate more than 80% of the user complaints on this forum concerning ability to select file types visible to the media server and simply let the end user accept accountability for compatibility to hardware they are seeking to use with this DNS.. ie: DS750 etc..

Just curious, as I have two of these units, one I hacked and sent out, and the 2nd I am hoping for a more OEM based solution.

THanks

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
Re: When? or forced to use 3rd party media server hacks?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »

Just curious about when we can expect some fundamental upgrades to the media server components to facilitate the more common media type compatibility that many are seeking?.. or are we forced to HACK this box to use 3rd party alternatives such as Twonkey or Mediatomb etc?.

Preference would be for Dlink to simply and quickly facilitate some of the more simple and fundamental additions to the firmware which would certainly seem to alleviate more than 80% of the user complaints on this forum concerning ability to select file types visible to the media server and simply let the end user accept accountability for compatibility to hardware they are seeking to use with this DNS.. ie: DS750 etc..

Just curious, as I have two of these units, one I hacked and sent out, and the 2nd I am hoping for a more OEM based solution.

THanks

I'd be happy if all they did was allow us to enter valid media type that our media player can handle.  Why do they hardcode the formats they think are valid? What if a new format is introduced? We are locked out of those formats.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »

I am looking for the post but someone explained it perfectly. Right now the data has to be hardcoded because of metadata and possibly other variables. In order to communicate information about the file the server has to understand how to read it and if we just open it up to any file it could cause all kinds of problems for users and impact customer experience. Future builds should incorporate a LOT more file types but as of right now they still must be coded in.

slyder

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:51:33 PM »

........ if we just open it up to any file it could cause all kinds of problems for users and impact customer experience. .....

I agree with this statement as it applies to less sophisticated user however, we who appreciate the issues of format compatibilities and the inherent issues that may be involved when attempting to serve file types not compatible with the viewing hardware/applications and are willing assume those risks understanding that such issues will arise, leaving the accountability to us who wish access to all files types.  Not asking to have it transcoded or otherwise validated prior to making the files available, simply an ability to access the files we wish to access without DLink assuming they know best what we need.  THE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE IS ALREADY BEING NEGATIVELY IMPACTED DUE TO INACTION ON THIS ISSUE

Example:  I use twin DSM-750 Media players able to play MKV formats directly and that playing such a media container has its constraints in video and audio codec compatibilities.  I simply want to be able to access the file from my DSM-750.. I will ensure that the MKV container is suitable and compatible to the DSM.

Perhaps a quick little upgrade release ie: Version 1.06.X that users may use to upgrade their DNS's with the understanding that the user is assuming all risks and problems that may be encountered with malformed media files.  Simply have the Media server make the files visible and available to provided to the networked device leaving the suitability for use of the file to the user opting to upgrade to a more open server...

I believe that the user community that is using these devices for the purposes of serving files to media devices on their networks are already accustomed to ensuring the formats of the media files they are attempting to use..

The less sophisticated user can stay with the default firmware...

Just my rant reflecting my impatience with Dlink in coming to a viable offering to resolving this issue more quickly that it has to date.
>:(

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:54:49 PM by slyder »

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »

I am looking for the post but someone explained it perfectly.

Was it me?   8)

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4142.msg23833#msg23833