• April 23, 2024, 07:38:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Tried to upgrade to 1.03 - NAS dead now  (Read 8178 times)

michaeljc70

• Level 1 Member
Tried to upgrade to 1.03 - NAS dead now
« on: December 24, 2009, 07:31:37 AM »

I tried to upgrade to the 1.03 firmware. It sat at the 100% mark for over 30 minutes.  The NAS became unrepsonsive through the web interface. I tried unplugging for a while and plugging back in.  It showed the blue light, etc, but did not connect to the network. 

I have no clue what to do now as I cannot even get it to connect to the network.

mzpx

• Level 2 Member
Re: Tried to upgrade to 1.03 - NAS dead now
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:02:08 AM »

How do you know the IP address of your DNS-321?

Do you have a fixed IP configured for the box?

Even if yes, login on your router, check the list of DHCP clients and see if the DNS-321 got an IP address from there. Could be that after the update the config was corrupted and now it is using dynamic IP that it gets from your DHCP server (the router).

There is some kind of 'reset to factory default' procedure. That should get you back to dynamic IP - assuming that the firmware update actually worked and did not brick the box. But I don't know if your data will be still there after factory reset. (I think it should, but I never did it myself.)

Generally the recommended update procedure is to save your config, reset to factory default, update the firmware and THEN restore your config. The old config file might be incompatible with the new firmware. What was your previous firmware version?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:45:10 AM »

Data is not affected by a factory reset.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

michaeljc70

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »

I am looking at all devices connected to my router and it isn't there.  Since it isn't connected, I don't see how I can do anything.

How do you know the IP address of your DNS-321?

Do you have a fixed IP configured for the box?

Even if yes, login on your router, check the list of DHCP clients and see if the DNS-321 got an IP address from there. Could be that after the update the config was corrupted and now it is using dynamic IP that it gets from your DHCP server (the router).

There is some kind of 'reset to factory default' procedure. That should get you back to dynamic IP - assuming that the firmware update actually worked and did not brick the box. But I don't know if your data will be still there after factory reset. (I think it should, but I never did it myself.)

Generally the recommended update procedure is to save your config, reset to factory default, update the firmware and THEN restore your config. The old config file might be incompatible with the new firmware. What was your previous firmware version?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 12:21:56 PM »

If it doesn't appear anywhere after a factory reset, you're probably right.

mzpx

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 12:35:01 PM »

@ michael:

Have you done a factory reset? If your config got corrupted / incompatible, the factory reset SHOULD bring back the box to life (with a dynamic IP).

If that doesn't help.... you might have a brick.

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
  • Retired Rocket Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »

If after you try a factory reset and it doesn't work, I think you should either, if you purchased locally take it back to the vendor, otherwise try to get it RMA'd.

Have you tried the CD that came with the product to "Discover" the NAS?  I've never used it but I hear it works.

And to reset the firmware to factory defaults...  Normally you need to log in but this isn't an option for you so you should unplug the unit, press and hold the reset button (it's a pin hole in the back) for a good 7 seconds (I don't know if 7 seconds is good or not, could be 3 or 10, I cannot find it written down).  Plug it back in and try it.  If that fails, try it again with it powered up.  The instructions don't seem to exist.  One post I saw said it took several hours for the NAS to become visable after a reset.  I don't know why that was but give it some time incase it's true.  It beats sending the unit back.

Let us know what you find out.

If I'm incorrect on how the reset button works, someone please correct me.  I do know it will reset to factory defaults.

-Joe

michaeljc70

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »

I tried pressing the reset button for 12+ seconds both with the power on and off.  It still didn't show up. It is acting the same as it was before- which is the blue light kind of flashes like it does in regular use. It still doesn't connect to my router though.

I will give it some time...not sure if the reset requires time....

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »

I think it's dead.  I'm assuming you're pushing that button with power on, right?  15 seconds or so should certainly do the trick.

michaeljc70

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 04:33:09 PM »

Yes- tried with the power on and also tried pushing in the button on the back while holding the front button.....

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 05:00:11 PM »

It's DEAD!

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
  • Retired Rocket Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »

Nice photo, were you tired that day  :D

Too bad the NAS appears dead.  I was hoping you could have got it to work to save you the hassle of returning it.

michaeljc70

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 05:39:35 PM »

I got an RMA #.   

I am sure they can just change out the chip or flash the chip. 

I didn't mention the upgrading firmware part of it....thought it would just complicate it and possibly not be covered under warranty....

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 05:18:58 AM »

I can't see why upgrading the standard D-Link firmware using their standard procedure wouldn't be covered.  I doubt they're that picky.  AAMOF, they specifically recommend upgrading to the latest firmware if you experience any issues.  It would be hard to square that advice with not covering the unit if you followed it! ;)

TheWitness

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »

It's DEAD!

That's what you call "feet in the air" dead.

TheWitness