• March 18, 2024, 10:01:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: IPv6 Support  (Read 5056 times)

Klaas

• Level 1 Member
IPv6 Support
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:48:44 AM »

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a DNS-323 for my home storage. However I would like to use it with IPv6 as well. Does the DNS-323 currently support IPv6 or will it support it in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Klaas

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: IPv6 Support
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »

Currently it does not support IPv6, if I had to guess at future support, I'd say don't hold your breath - but then I also don't see the world at large and home networks going IPv6 in the near future either.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Klaas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »

I just enabled my home network and some production servers with IPv6 a few months ago. I actually like the way of every computer having its own public IP-Address (ok you need to do some firewall work). At least I can see that there seems to be an active community using and working on the 323 :).

Thanks

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:38:26 PM »

I just enabled my home network and some production servers with IPv6 a few months ago. I actually like the way of every computer having its own public IP-Address (ok you need to do some firewall work). At least I can see that there seems to be an active community using and working on the 323 :).

Thanks

Interesting - how are you connected to the internet?

For the most part, I'm actually quite comfortable with my computers all having private "non-routable" ip addresses, it gives me that extra layer of security.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Klaas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »

My DSL-Router supports IPv6 via sixxs, native or 6to4 and the subnet is propagated through my home network. All unauthorized access is blocked by my firewall except for these computers which actually should be accessible from outside my private network. The tunnel is actually quite fast and I don't see any greater lags using this. Connections which are possible over IPv6 will use this and everything else is just running over IPv4.