• April 15, 2024, 08:51:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Trouble connect DSM-510 to a LinksysWRT350N UpNp AV server  (Read 11637 times)

Rick_Johnson

• Level 1 Member
Trouble connect DSM-510 to a LinksysWRT350N UpNp AV server
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:50:53 AM »

I have been unsuccessfully been trying to connect my D-Link UpNp AV media player (DSM-510) to a LinksysWRT350N wired router using the Linksys (with an attached USB NAS storage divice) UpNp AV server enabled (and Shares scanned). I have been attempting this off/on for about 4 months. The DSM-510 sees the LinksysWRT350N but never presents a file list.

If I remove the USB drive from the LinksysWRT350N, and attach it directly to the DSM-510, The entire drive contents (photos, music and video) can be played. The DSM-510 is running FW 1.08.

Do I need to use (how?) Single Port Forwarding on the LinksysWRT350N?
How about Port Range Forwarding on the LinksysWRT350N?

I believe that User Management or Group Management on the LinksysWRT350N is set to low enough levels for read only by any divice.

I have also tried enabling media server in Windows Media Player (V. 11.0.5721.5230) and scanning the shares from the LinksysWRT350N (they play fine in WMP on the laptop). The DSM-510 sees the Windows Media Player server but the DSM-510 sees no media to play. The share my media to the DSM-510 is enabled and all settings seem set correctly.

My LinksysWRT350N Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link (WRT350N) has the latest Firmware Version: v1.03.7

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Trouble connect DSM-510 to a LinksysWRT350N UpNp AV server
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 08:58:27 AM »

If you place the media on your USB NAS into a folder and copy it to your My Documents folder and share it using WMP11 does the content show On the DSM-510?

I know WMP11 has some issues with NAS storage when sharing the files and I am not familiar with the LinksysWRT350N and the UPnP AV media server and attached USB feature so I dont really know whats going on there. Try putting the media files into a folder on the USB drive and shared only that folder with the LinksysWRT350N UPnP AV server if you can select specific folders.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Rick_Johnson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »

I tested the server shares/partitions to scan and noted the AV server had a file on the root directory that grows each time that I add a partition to scan for AV serving. This has a file name of simply "d.s". That file is recognized by the DSM-510 as long as it is not too large. D.S is now 1.9 megs and playing (video, photos and mp3's) fine (about 2500 media files). I added one more directory scan that boosted the file size to about 2.3 megs  (about 2900 media files) and the DSM-510 no longer recognizes the AV server.
This limit seen very lame. I have well over 20 thousand media files on the LinksysWRT350N UpNp AV server that I would like to access (mostly mp3's). The LinksysWRT350N UpNp AV server side administration software will properly scan the entire contents of the drive but the DSM-510 player software just cannot handle the d.s file that is created (about 35 megs as I recall).
I have browsed the d.s file with a text editor and it appears to contain the contents of the Linksys media share scans.
Any help would be appreciated, including some tech help from the D-Link folks.
I will cross post this to the LinksysWRT350N UpNp AV server forums/support folks to see if I can get any help there.

ECF, I will try the: "copy USB NAS into a folder and copy it to your My Documents folder" in WMP 11 but that sort of defeats the whole UpNp AV server concept. I will report back on my findings. Thanks

Rick_Johnson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »

If you place the media on your USB NAS into a folder and copy it to your My Documents folder and share it using WMP11 does the content show On the DSM-510?
I know WMP11 has some issues with NAS storage when sharing the files and I am not familiar with the LinksysWRT350N and the UPnP AV media server and attached USB feature so I don't really know whats going on there. Try putting the media files into a folder on the USB drive and shared only that folder with the LinksysWRT350N UPnP AV server if you can select specific folders.
I tried WMP11 as an AV server with the DSM-510 as the device to which WMP11 shares. The DSM-510 does not recognize the WMP11 share at all. There are no firewalls in the way. The Windows Media Player (V. 11.0.5721.5230) seem configured properly. The laptop running WMP11 is a higher end HP media PC with XP Pro (SP2).

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:59:28 PM »

Please see this FAQ link for WMP11 setup instructions this may help.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2692&question=DSM-120%20/%20DSM-320%20/%20DSM-320RD%20/%20DSM-510%20/%20DSM-520%20/%20DSM-750

Rick_Johnson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »

Please see this FAQ link for WMP11 setup instructions this may help.
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2692&question=DSM-120%20/%20DSM-320%20/%20DSM-320RD%20/%20DSM-510%20/%20DSM-520%20/%20DSM-750

Step 1-2 done

Step 3 Your D-Link DSM-510 should now have a green check mark over it. Click the Apply button and then click the OK button.
Done
Step 4 Select which folders will be shared to your D-Link DSM-510. Select the down arrow under Library again. Next select the Add to Library option.
Done
Step 6 Windows® Media Player 11 will now scan the folders you have selected for supported media files.
Done (found 42 items more since the last scan)
Step 7 Once your folders have been scanned and your media has been added to the Windows® Media Player 11 library you can select the Close option.
Done
Step 8 You can now return to your TV and select the Server option from the Home page of the D-Link DSM-510 or you can press the server button on the D-Link DSM-510 remote control.
Done but the WMP server is not listed (the LinksysWRT350N is and is functional with only a fraction is my files showing/scanned/playing)
Step 9 Once you have confirmed that your Windows® Media Player sharing has been enabled and is showing on your D-Link DSM-510 you can select your Music, Photos or Videos options in the Home menu or press the hotkeys on your remote control.
Done-Not applicable per #8 notes

Vista help-Not Applicable

Other notes, the HP Laptop, D-Link DSM-510 and LinksysWRT350N are all on the same T100 wired network (192.168.1.103 .102 and .1 respectively) and are on the some subnet 255.255.255.0.
I can ping all 3 from the laptop.
XP Pro (sp2) has the firewall completely disabled.
The Anti-Virus is AVG 8.0.138 (latest available) has been disabled for this WMP 11 test.

Is it time for a RMA on the D-Link DSM-510

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »

I don't believe it is the unit . You computer has anti-virus software on it and when I see this issue this is almost always the case. Disabling anti-virus software almost never work properly there are still services running which can do this. Please properly configure the software for WMP11 to have access to network devices. 

Rick_Johnson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »

Please properly configure the software for WMP11 to have access to network devices. 

The WMP 11 is not recognized as a media server with the following settings:

Anti-virus softwares. I totally disabled all Anti-virus services from running (both AVG and 3 remnants from Symantics that was used earlier and un-installed) by setting these services to disabled | rebooting (and confirmed they did not restart). The Anti-virus made no difference to WMP 11 server-it was not seen by the DSM-510.

I shut off Windows XP (Sp2) Media Center services (this made no difference to WMP 11 server).

Multi Media Home Network services are on (Automatic start and on/off cycle with DSM-510 power cycle made no difference to WMP 11 server-it still never functioned).
WMP 11 is set for auto in the services.

In all the above, the WMP 11 was configured according to the help provided and seems functional (the D-Link Up Np AV media player (DSM-510) was shown in start| Media Library Media as a media server and enabled).

All of the above seem to just be a diversion. I have NO DESIRE to use the HP Laptop as a media server, either as a WMP 11 or as a Intel Viiv™ Technology device (my chip set in the HP is an AMD Turion 64 so the Intel Viiv™ Technology is of no help anyway.
Lets stop wasting time with the WMP 11 server setup and move back to concentration on the July 07, 2008, 05:33:18 PM post in part reading:

"I tested the server shares/partitions to scan and noted the AV server had a file on the root directory that grows each time that I add a partition to scan for AV serving. This has a file name of simply "d.s". That file is recognized by the DSM-510 as long as it is not too large. D.S is now 1.9 megs and playing (video, photos and mp3's) fine (about 2500 media files). I added one more directory scan that boosted the file size to about 2.3 megs  (about 2900 media files) and the DSM-510 no longer recognizes the AV server."

Obviously the DSM-510 firmware recognizes the smaller d.s file on the LinksysWRT350N Up Np AV server and plays its contents fine. Please check with the D-Link software folks and see why there is a ceiling on the file size/media count. It is not reasonable to set such a small play file limit with terabyte drives.

If you cannot support larger play lists in the 1.08 version of the firmware, can resolving this low cap be made a priority in the next firmware release?

Otherwise, can we try a tested DSM-510 through a RMA?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:16:38 AM »

I think it is best that you contact technical support by phone. Although the LinksysWRT350N is not a supported media server it can be determined if the DSM-510 is working properly with WMP11 and files on you local PC if not and RMA can be issued.

zoulourichard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »

I HAD (I THINK( THE VERY SAME PROBLEM

Had to spend about 3h with Level 3 teck support with D-Link.
In Lynksys setup, there is a Application and Gaming setup, in this setup there is a upnp port fowarding and that's what's causing the DSM-510 not to be recognized.  I was angry cause i just baught this router.  Whent back to the store and baught a cheap and easy router from D-Linkd ...2310 and it worked well the minute i pluged it in!

Hope it will help you spare some time and start to use your 510.. I know i do now (for 2 days) and i love it!
Still have some isues with some avi files:  The setup with Wmp11 whent like a charm the minute Vista could see it (note: Same for my other machine Xp)

Rick_Johnson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »

I finally gave up on the LinksysWRT350N UpNp AV server for UpNp AV purposes. I switched over to a D-Link DNS-321 NAS with UpNp AV that works well with my D-Link DSM-510. It is fast and I have had no issues (other than AVG getting in the way of formatting the drives - the 94% hang issue).