• April 23, 2024, 02:47:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Low connection reliability on DIR-815  (Read 5047 times)

jellis00

• Level 1 Member
Low connection reliability on DIR-815
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:44:40 PM »

Since there is apparently no forum for the DIR-815, I am posting this here on the DIR_825 forum in hopes I can get some help due to their similarity.
I recently purchased a DIR-815 and am currently trying to use the 2.4 GHz Wireless mode so I can connect a remote WiFI product to it (approx 30 feet separation) to get access to the internet for sending email and to FTP data from the remote WiFi product over the internet.  It is imperative that this connectivitiy be reliable and continuously accessible.  The PC host and the WiFI product are unattended and require 24/7 use and conneciton reliability.

My problem is that for no apparent reason the connectivity to the DIR-815 by the PC host (wired to DIR-815 by ethernet) is not reliable....and even though the connection is obviously lost, my PC thinks it is still connected according to the Network status info shown in Windows.  I then have to do a Network Repair on the PC to get the connection back.  Whenever this is happening during the loss of connectivity by the PC to the DIR-815, the WiFi connection from my remote WiFi product is also lost which we cannot tolerate.

PC host is connected to DIR-815 via ethernet cable.  DIR-815 is connected to a ViaSat Surf Beam Satellite modem (model SM2100) that is accessing Big Blue sattelite service as the ISP.  I have the DIR-815 using 2.4 Ghz channel set to WEP2 TPIK-AES security.  When connected everything works fine.   We just need it to stay coonnected without having to be rebooted all the time.

Is there any way to resolve this problem and improve the connection reliability of the DIR-815??  I wish there were some way to send a WiFI command from our remote application to the DIR-815 to reboot it, which we could program into the remote product, but when wireless connectivity is lost, obviously that is not possible.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:54:45 PM by jellis00 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Low connection reliability on DIR-815
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »

The ISP modem Stand Alone or built in router?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.

Some things to try on the 815:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?

Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area?

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jellis00

• Level 1 Member
Re: Low connection reliability on DIR-815
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »

The ISP modem Stand Alone or built in router?
My ISP modem is a stand alone Motorola Cable Modem and is separate to the router.
Some things to try on the 815:
I will try the things you listed.
What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?

Here is what the data sheet says about my wireless module: " Mini Socket iWiFi™ is a secure serial-to-Wireless LAN device server module that also acts as a bridge to connect serial devices to 802.11b/g Wireless LANs." So I guess the answer is mode G.

Thanks so much for your advice on this.
John Ellis

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:59:28 AM by jellis00 »