• March 28, 2024, 09:36:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Fan always on high problem  (Read 4060 times)

Zxurian

• Level 1 Member
Fan always on high problem
« on: February 04, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »

The fan on my unit has always run on low, with no problem of cooling the unit. Within the past month though, the fan has been always on high, and noisy as well.

I tried updating to the v1.10 firmware hoping that would solve the issue (read on some topics that people with fan problems said it helped.) Update when fine, but it's always on high (noisy) still.

looking through the System Log (http://gyazo.com/bba4ada60f9ed4b548771cea5a46c663) it's got continuous error messages about "fan can't rotate, check it please".

Is there anything I can do to fix this and have the fan go back to it's normal low speed?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Fan always on high problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »

Have you checked the fan is clean and not clogged up with dust?  This could be the reason for the noise and the log report.

Zxurian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »

so I've checked the fan, it's as clean as can be, rotates fine.
When the unit is powered on, i an can certainly feel air being pushed out the back, however the log files are still spamming "fan can't rotate, check it please."

any other ideas?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:39 AM »

In that case it would appear that the speed sense circuit in the fan has died which means you need a replacement fan.

jhtopping

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »

I am curious, have you done a "Restore to factory default settings" yet?  It seems this to produces unexpected results, and since it is relatively easy compared to finding and installing a new fan, I thought I would ask if this has been done.

Zxurian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 07:53:59 AM »

I am curious, have you done a "Restore to factory default settings" yet?  It seems this to produces unexpected results, and since it is relatively easy compared to finding and installing a new fan, I thought I would ask if this has been done.

I thought about resetting to factory defaults, but my only worry is that if I do that, i'll be unable to access the data on the drives.
I know that the drives are formatted especially for the DNS-323, and don't want to end up loosing access to all 4TB of data that's currently on them.

Can I safely reset the DNS-323 to factory defaults without loosing access to the data or having it decide to reformat the drives?

Zxurian

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »

In that case it would appear that the speed sense circuit in the fan has died which means you need a replacement fan.

Figured as much.... any ideas on where to pick one up? Does D-Link sell them directly?

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 10:51:27 AM »

Hi Zxurian,
I am not sure if you have done the "Reset to factory defaults" or not, but if you still want to try, it will not effect your data but will likely remove some settings and passwords.  You could save the configuation file somewhere and then do the reset and reinstall your save config file though or manually re-enter if you wish.  If that doesn't fix your fan issue, it almost certainly is hardware related.  If you can't live with it.  I would think twice about just trying to find a replacement fan.  It might be both hard to find and difficult to replace and not cheap.  Then there is the chance that something else, another component on the board is causing the unusual fan behavior.  Another option might be to consider checking the auction sites for a used 323, if you get lucky and get a reasonable price on one, it might be cheaper and less aggrivation in the long run.  Good luck