• April 26, 2024, 05:58:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Streaming MP4 files to DSM-320  (Read 10787 times)

yeti2112dd

• Level 1 Member
Streaming MP4 files to DSM-320
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »

I have my DNS-323 configured to serve media files to my DSM-320. Everything works fine except when I play a Nero Recode MP4.  I get a "this file is not compatible" error!

All my MP3's, MPG's and AVI's(divx and Xvid) work but the Nero Recode MP4's do not (which is most of my library).  I used the D-Link Media Server running on a PC to stream the files on the DNS-323 to ensure that the files were still good and this worked perfectly. I can't understand why the DNS-323 will not stream the MP4's to the DSM-320 when it's the recommended format for the media lounge series of players. >:(

I've emailed D-Link tech support multiple times and they have not provided any help.  They say that it may require some advance troubleshooting which may not be possible through an email assistance.  When I called they couldn't help either.

Has anyone been able to stream Nero Recode MP4's from a DNS-323 to a DSM320/520?

I have Firmware:
DNS-323: 1.06
DSM-320: 1.09

Thanks!

P.S.  I apologize if this issue has already been resolved somewhere in the post boards.  Please point me in the right direction if so!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:47:55 PM by yeti2112dd »

yeti2112dd

• Level 1 Member
Re: Streaming MP4 files to DSM-320
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:14:35 PM »

I guess this is a bigger problem than all of us in this forum can handle.

Maybe the DSM-320 never worked with the DNS-323 for MP4 playback for anyone.

On my PC running TVersity, I added my media folders from the DNS-323.  The MP4 video files started to play, then after a few seconds got really choppy, then just froze.  The DNS-323 really stinks when even trying to stream video through another server.  It is even configured to run as a Gigabit ethernet port, as is my router and pc.  I give up.

I really thought all the D-Link Media players would work great with the Dlink NAS media server.  What a joke.

If I wouldn't have waited so long, I would return this product and get my money back.  Stinks for me. >:(  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:07:05 PM by yeti2112dd »

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »

I did some reading and believe I understand the problem you're experiencing. 

You were clear about:
1) .MP4 videos don't play, or play then fail
2) You are using a DSM-320
3) You are encoding with Nero Recode into MP4

What you need to understand is there is a HUGE difference between MPEG-4 ASP (Advanced Simple Profile) and MPEG-4 AVC.

ASP = h.263 = DivX, XviD, 3vix = .AVI container (usually)
AVC = h.264 = Nero Recode, x264 = .MP4 container (not AVI compatible)

The DSM-320 is not and never will be compatible with h.264.  The DSM-320 manual states only ASP support for MPEG-4.  The DSM-330 & DSM-510 are also in this category.  None of those are capable of playing h.264 video at all. 

Nero Recode only encodes MPEG-4 AVC and does not generate ASP video files.  The Manual for Recode states it only generates AVC video files. 

If you want to play Nero Recode .MP4 (h.264) files, get a DSM-750. 

In the meantime, encode for what the DSM-320 is capable of doing.  Try Googling for "MeGUI" (and DVD Decrypter if you're ripping from DVDs) and do some reading on how to use it.  You will be able to take said video and encode it into XviD (read: MPEG-4 ASP).  If you want something simpler, you can download DivX and pay for the Pro upgrade & DVD plugin (~$40). 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:07:32 PM by ttmcmurry »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »

yeti2112dd

I couldn't tell for sure by your wording but were you able to play these same mp4 videos on your DSM-320 streaming from the D-Link Media server on your PC?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »

ECF-

I wouldn't be surprised if the DSM-320 was able to sometimes play an AVC file provided the buffers didn't fill up and the profile used to encode was "baseline".  You can reproduce that effect to a certain degree playing such videos with Quicktime player. 

Once I was able to get a Ben Stiller movie to play for about 30 seconds in QT when it shouldn't have even played.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »

Is the file an MP4 ASP or is it AVC?

What version of Nero Recode are you running?

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »

I think you're asking me that. :)  So I'll reply...   ;D

If my memory doesn't fail me, I used x264 via MeGUI to create the video 320x208/24p, Baseline Profile 1.3.   Never used Nero.  The problem with a player assuming the .mp4 is AVS is even at AVC BP1.3, the buffers are going to eventually overflow.  Even at the encoder's default VBV setting for BP 1.3, it would be > AVS can accept. 

The problem is most users won't know better when reading the side of a box or a spec sheet.  Most people will associate "This device playes MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile" with "it plays .mp4 files." 

It's not obvious that h.264 files = .mp4 or MPEG-4 ASP = .avi.  Welcome to Marketing meets IT.

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »

May i add also...

There is so many codec out there, so many way to encode video and Audio... !

It is "impossible" to find a hardware that are 100 % compatible with All codec.

Like MP4, also known as DIVX, XVID,... there is a way to encode the audio, and also another way to encode the video. Both are encoded seperatly (but look like encode at the same time), and MUX toghether after. It's the reason why we found so many problems...

And also, all software creator preach for they're codec first. They offerd the "compatible one", but argue that their "own" codec are better. It work perfectly with their application, but not necessary compatible with everything.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »

The reason I ask is the DSM-320 will play MP4 ASP if is is AVC it will not playback on the DSM-320, AVC is .h264.

The DSM-320 seems to have an issue with videos recoded using Nero recode3 using ASP. Something seemed to have changed in the software in this profile. Nero recode or Nero recode2 will playback fine using the ASP profile.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »

The reason I ask is the DSM-320 will play MP4 ASP if is is AVC it will not playback on the DSM-320, AVC is .h264.

Right.  I wanted to be very clear that an MPEG-4 ASP (h.263) video should be in a .AVI, .MKV or .MPG (as in MPEG-TS) container. 

.MP4 containers are designed to accommodate the properties of MPEG-4 AVC & AAC which .AVI could not and it provides the ability to directly differentiate ASP & AVC by the containers which they require.

yeti2112dd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:47:45 PM »

To All Of You-
Thank you!  I thought I wasn't going to get any answers on this topic, so I really haven't checked back for a while.  You all know a LOT more about video encoding than I, so thank you for the education.

To answer some questions about my encoding process:

1) All my videos in .mp4 format work flawlessly using the Dlink Media Server Software.
2) I rip videos from DVDs using DVD Fab Decrypter, then I use Nero Recode 2 (ver 2.1.1.21) to convert the ripped DVD video to Nero Digital (.mp4).  I use all the defaults and have never had any problems using the DSM-320 until I use it with the DNS-323 Media Server.

I will take all your advice and keep reading this thread for new info.  If anyone has anything more to add, please do!!

Thanks.

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 07:19:08 AM »

A bit off-topic, but this is precisely the reason I built a small-factor HTPC for every TV in the house. At first glance, it's a definitely a step backward in terms of convenience, but this way I've yet to encounter any unsolvable playback problem. Sigh...

A side-effect is that now I'm pretty good at building PCs...  ;D

hankchill

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »

I would like to add that I am having the exact same issue -- before I got my DNS-323 a few days ago, I've been using TVersity to stream to my devices, and my MP4's streamed no problem to the DSM-320 as they were not H.264 (they were encoded with ffmpeg and xvid MP4)...

Now I've got this device and this problem, the DSM-320 doesn't want to read the MP4's anymore, yet using TVersity or Twonky it will play them just fine.

D-Link, Help!