• April 23, 2024, 04:05:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbox 360 not seeing DNS-323 even w/ 1.06 FW  (Read 12942 times)

turkvu

• Level 1 Member
Xbox 360 not seeing DNS-323 even w/ 1.06 FW
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:47:04 AM »

Just got a xbox 360 yesterday and have been struggling to get it to recognize my DNS-323. I came here and saw the post about upgrading the firmware to 1.06, so I did. I rebooted the DNS and the 360 several times after the update and it's still not showing up.

As a last resort I installed the Twonkyvision trial server on the DNS and it immediately popped up on the 360 as available...although most of my directory structure was lost.

Personally, I'd rather not use twonky and just use the native Upnp server on the DNS (hopefully it preserves the directory structure).

Any ideas for other things I can try to make this thing work?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Xbox 360 not seeing DNS-323 even w/ 1.06 FW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »

Log into your DNS-323 and go to the UPNP AV section, verify that the server is set to enabled (it is set to DISABLED by default in 1.06).

Set your directory of media.

Click the Refresh button. Once it is done check if it is showing up on your XBOX360.

If it is still not showing up verify that your Xbox360 is updated and has all OPTIONAL updates as well.

turkvu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »

It is enabled and I have set the media directory (Volume_1 contains 3 different folders of media) and pressed the refresh button. Still not showing up.

The xbox360 has been connected to Live and doesn't download or offer any new updates.

DBDave

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »

I am having the same problem - I have had the DNS-323 for a couple of months now, and I have just been copying media to a PC that has uPnP turned on it WMP11.  Two PC's do this, Xbox 360 sees them fine.

Updated DNS-323 to v1.06 firmware tonight, uPnP server shows enabled on root, clicked refresh (waited about 5 mins to finish), still nothing on 360 under My Video (where I see my other network uPnP devices).

Xbox 360 is connected to Live and offers no downloads.  I have looked for a way to manually update it with no luck - if it exists, help finding the menu would be nice.

Don't want to pay $40 for Twonkyvision - want to use native uPnP service, as well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

bripab007

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 05:59:20 AM »

My DNS-323 is serving quite a few files to my Xbox 360 just fine (~120GB of .mp3 files, ~100GB of assorted video files and ~5GB of assorted pictures).

That said, doing a refresh takes ~30min. to complete, then it takes another hour or two, typically, for the updated files to show up on the 360.  It seems no amount of power-cycling on the 360 helps, however, sometimes rebooting the DNS-323 directly after a UPnP refresh helps them show up quicker.

I don't know how D-Link coded their UPnP server, but apparently it just takes a while after rebuilding its index to begin broadcasting the new files in the index.

turkvu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:17:37 AM »

To add another wrinkle to this, last night I tried changing the folder that I shared, going from just my Movies folder to sharing the whole of Volume_1 (which contains about 8 folders). Volume_1 has about 1.6TB of files total. Now when I press refresh it cranks along for a while, but gets stuck at 83% - I left it at 83% when I went to bed last night and woke up to it at the same point. Then I restarted the refresh this morning and this time in a matter of minutes (not hours as on the first time through) it got stuck at 83%.

Still nothing showing up on the 360.

bripab007

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:11:59 AM »

Well, you need to start simple.  Instead of trying to force the UPnP service to index an even bigger volume (1.6TB!), start with setting UPnP to index a folder with just one video, one music file and one photo.  Hit refresh, wait for it to show up on the 360, test that all three are able to be seen and viewed/played.

Now, start adding a bunch of video files, say, that're the same codec/container as the one that you got working, refresh/rebuild the index, test them on the 360, and so on.

Basically sounds like you've got some kind of file that the UPnP service hangs up on when trying to index, so you need to figure out what that is.  The UPnP service is apparently not sophisticated enough to handle indexing certain types of files and, rather than just skip over them and output the error to a log file, it just hangs up or causes other problems.

turkvu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:39:11 PM »

Just created a test directory and added one video into it, updated the settings to just point at that directory, saved, refreshed. Not showing up on the xbox yet...I'll give it a while and check back...

DBDave

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 04:26:39 PM »

I have only 100+ GB of videos, photos, and music on the DNS, so it only took about 5 mins for the "Refresh" to complete.  This was last night, waited 4 hrs for it to show up on Xbox, no luck, rebooted xbox and DNS-323 last night.  Still nothing showing up tonight.

I am using a Netgear router that does support uPnP fine, since my other devices show up on my 360.  Maybe that's the wildcard, Dlink and Netgear not playing well together.

Maybe on Monday Dlink will attempt to help us here.

Dave

Side issue with DNS 323 FTP server - when issuing a PASV command, the referenced IP is local LAN (192.168.1.x) and when connecting over the internet, the user's client sees this as "unroutable." Other "soft" ftp servers (like filezilla) allows for the server to acquire the IP to issue with PASV from an online DDNS service.  Yes, I have programmed DDNS into the 323.  Was hoping v1.06 would fix this - didn't.  Dlink's last advice was that I was double NAT'ed, have since bridged my DSL modem to negate its routing functions, still no luck.  Works great over local LAN - halfway there.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:43:18 PM by DBDave »

freestyledub

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »

Not sure if this info will help but I ran into a similar problem. Apparently the 1.06 when I flashed the device was set to "enable" by default but wasn't truly enabled. The way I got around this was to reset factory settings which sets the upnp to disabled as it should have defaulted originally. Simply went into the setting and enabled it and my xbox saw it instantly.

Hope that helps

tcog

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »

@freestyledub

Ha! Nice dude. I've had the same problem as these guys and been screwing around with the damn thing all night.

That did the trick!!!

Like he says just restore the defaults. The UPNP should come up as disabled. Enable it and the xbox will pick it right up!

Thanks Again... i can go to bed now  ;D

DBDave

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 08:47:47 PM »

Yeah, just worked for me too.  Resolution was to reset DNS-323 to factory defaults and re-Enable the uPnP service.

Thanks!!!!! 

Dave

mikemike666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »

I'm planing on getting one of these to replace my Linksys nas200 in the hope this will be a lot faster to transfer files from my PC to the NAS.

My network is gigabit and the linksys is just 100mb..

If i use the D-link im hoping for heaps faster transfer speeds and also want to confirm that i can stream pics/audio/video using this nas so the 360 can play files off it without neediing the PC on..

can you guys offer some advice?

Mike

DBDave

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:13:42 PM »

I can only tell you that the DNS-323, on a 100base router to my laptop, is limited by the laptop's HD speed, or about 9MB/s to the laptop and up to 12MB/s from the laptop.  I have read, however, someone say the DNS-323 was "faster" than their gigabit network, transferring to a fast PC.  I have my array striped RAID 0 for maximum performance, for when I upgrade my router to gigabit (sooooooon).  The new 1.06 firmware supports 1.5TB drives, too!  I'm having some FTP server issues, granted, but I think I prefer a software FTP anyway.  But I'm sitting here watching vids from the 323 now, luvin' it.

Anyway, I'd recommend it, specifically for the uPnP-xbox relationship.

Dave

mikemike666

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 12:18:24 AM »

Cheers.....

ok cool.... im finding transferring gigs to the linksys nas on 100mb a bit slow... this d-link could be an option.

If any1 has this hooked up to a gigabit lan if they could comment it would be great.

Mike
Pages: [1] 2