• March 28, 2024, 03:02:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Issues with the wireless network  (Read 10205 times)

steph_444444

• Level 1 Member
Issues with the wireless network
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »

Hello,
As of last night, my DIR-655 is having the strangest issue and I'm at a complete loss as to what's causing it and how to fix it. The hardware version is A4 and firmware is 1.32NA. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. The wireless connection drops from any device connected. The connection completely disappears from the list of access points for a short while, and when it comes back, it's impossible to connect to (the computer tries connecting, gut it fails every time). The only way I can get it to connect is by doing a factory reset and reinstalling the router, but that only works for 1-3 minutes before it drops again and has the same issue. I've reset and reinstalled it in different ways countless times, and I've also contacted my ISP and the model (it's a cable connection) has been ruled out as the issue. Any help for a solution or maybe even the cause of the issue would be appreciated.

Hard Harry

Re: Issues with the wireless network
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »

I hope I'm not right, but sounds like the ol' gal might be on her way out. How old is it?

And when you lose the wireless, can you can still access the 192.168.0.1 gateway from a wired connection? If not, yea, the router is crashing, and if it requires a factory reset, then yea, that's bad. If its just the wireless, and wired is solid, its possible the wireless is just going a little buggy.

Next time it happens, if you can still access the router wired, try changing the wireless settings to G only, saving, then putting them back to normal and saving again. If that doesn't work, try disabling the wireless on the router, then enabling. Not a long term fix of-course, but at least it would show where the wireless problem is occurring.

steph_444444

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 06:49:30 AM »

Wired connection worked just fine, it was just the wireless. The router was purchased in October 2010. I had issues accessing the gateway, where it wouldn't accept my set password or the factory default option of no password, forcing me to full reinstall it. I've manually updated the firmware to 1.35NA (it said I had the latest version when checking for latest version through the gateway. So far so good, I'm posting this from the wireless, which has been working for about 5 minutes. I'll keep an eye on it for a bit and see if this is just temporary or not.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:50:59 AM »

Link>Welcome!
What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.
What region are you located?

Has a Factory Reset been performed?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?

If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.
Double NAT
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.
If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.

Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP server feature. Tools/Time.

Link>Wireless Installation Considerations
What wireless modes are you using? Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?

Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

steph_444444

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »

Since updating the firmware to 1.35NA, I don't have the issue of not being able to reconnect without a factory reset, but I have other issues now. Now, the connection stays up a bit longer (5-10 minutes), but then the wireless signal completely disappears and comes back under the name and settings of a previous connection that should have been removed with the factory reset. When that happens, it does not accept my password for the 192.168.0.1 gateway. This connection lasts 5-10 minutes as well, and then it drops again and the router goes back to factory settings, which allows me to access the gateway with the default factory setting option. When I get in, I can then set up a secure wireless again, but this process repeats itself afterward. Throughout all this, there are also times where there's no internet connection available (either wired or wireless) through the router, while my modem works without issue.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »

Lets us know if you can answer some of questions presented and also give some of the suggestions a try.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

steph_444444

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »

I'm not at home at the moment, but here's the information I know.
I'm located in Ottawa, Ontario.
My ISP is a cable service and the modem does not have any router functions.
I've performed factory resets on everything, and the wireless on the modem goes into factory reset on its own now, without any input (while wired, the connection name remains).
The wireless modes I am using are a mix of of G and N (I believe there were a couple other letters in there).
The only devices that were connected were a Mad Catz wireless adapted for Xbox 360, a 4th gen iPod touch, and my laptop, and ASUS G51JX-A1. The Xbox adapter has not been connected since the issues have began.
There are no cordless phones in my apartment.
For the other wireless networks, I'm in an apartment building, so there's well over a dozen other signals I receive.
The router has been used in this apartment for well over a year without any issue more than just a loss of connection for a few seconds.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »

I'm not at home at the moment, but here's the information I know.
I'm located in Ottawa, Ontario.
My ISP is a cable service and the modem does not have any router functions.
I've performed factory resets on everything, and the wireless on the modem goes into factory reset on its own now, without any input (while wired, the connection name remains). "the wireless on the modem goes into factory reset"? Do you mean the DIR-655?

The wireless modes I am using are a mix of of G and N (I believe there were a couple other letters in there).
Try Mixed G and N only.

The only devices that were connected were a Mad Catz wireless adapted for Xbox 360, a 4th gen iPod touch, and my laptop, and ASUS G51JX-A1. The Xbox adapter has not been connected since the issues have began.
There are no cordless phones in my apartment.

For the other wireless networks, I'm in an apartment building, so there's well over a dozen other signals I receive. This could be and is probably the source of your wireless problems. Having many or more than a few and only having 11 channels to work with, the router(s) are all competing for an open and clear channel. Some maybe attempting to work on the same channel which is not good or recommended. You may need to consider installing a DLink DAP modem unit that is 5Ghz. Please review this for some information: Bridge Mode vs Relay vs Acess Point (AP) / Routers vs Dedicated Access Points (AP). I would recommend get a 5Ghz AP going and upgrading those devices from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz using the 5Ghz AP and DLink DWA USB adapters for Laptops and PCs. There are some different options to using 5Ghz on your current HW.

The router has been used in this apartment for well over a year without any issue more than just a loss of connection for a few seconds. Run a test by turning OFF the 2.4Ghz radio and connect a couple of wired LAN devices to the 655. I bet the router will maintain connections. You can try setting the Power Output from High to Medium or maybe try LOW and test.

steph_444444

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »

Yes, sorry, the DIR-655, I meant to say router, not modem. I'll try the mixed setting when I can. At this point, I'm not looking into buying extra equipment except a replacement router if the issues can't be resolved with this one. The issue is only with the wireless function of the router, and not the wired connections, but it came quite suddenly after well over a year, so I somehow doubt it's interference.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »

Again, as more people acquire and move in to your area, the channel will be used up and your area may have hit a threshold of near by WiFi and has just become congested and the router was dealing with it ok, however now theres probably more than it can handle. This can and will effect any Mfr router using 2.4Ghz regardless of brand. It can't be resolved by buying another 2.4Ghz Wifi device. You need to move to 5Ghz where your area isn't so congested on that frequency.

One thing you can do as a test. Take this router to a different location, say a friend or family that lives in a different area and hopefully a non congested WiFi area. Connect it up there and run the Wifi. I bet the router will work better at this location.

This is problematic of all 2.4Ghz WiFi, just the nature of the beast. Seen it here in the forums with many other users dealing with areas congested by WiFi. Again, as an option, you need to consider going with 5Ghz for your Wireless needs or go wired on as many devices as you can.

Good Luck

steph_444444

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

FurryNutz, thanks for all your help, it's been working fine for 45 minutes so far. I've changed the mode to a mix of g and n, and I set it to channel 11 (default was 6), figuring there might be less people on that one, and I haven't had any issues. I'll post back if anything changes.

steph_444444

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »

Seems I spoke too soon. After 45-50 minutes, the connection went out for a second and came back with one of the names that should have disappeared after the numerous factory resets. After that, I was not able to access the gateway with any of the passwords I had ever set it to, or the default access without password. After about 15 minutes, the internet connection was not available when wireless or plugged in. I reset it again, and changed the setting to N only and put it on channel 1. I'll see how long it lasts this time (hopefully it's fixed).

Edit: Before I could post this, after a few minutes, the wireless completely disappeared once again, so I've reset it another time.

Hard Harry

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 06:56:12 PM »

My gut is still telling me something is broke with that router. Short of there being a second router somewhere (maybe a AP with the same settings?) I cant think of any fixable reason of showing a old SSID. Sounds like the decompiler or something in the firmware is having a hard time with the config file. When did the problem start? Any brown outs, storms, etc around that time?

steph_444444

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »

No storms, brownouts, or anything like that. The issue just came out of the blue. Happened sometime between 9:30 and 11:30 pm on Wednesday (can't remember exactly when). Here's the thing, I have an old D-Link DI-524 which worked many months ago, and which has been kept in a box since then. This works for a bit, before dropping back to an old connection, and then back to factory settings, without any input. This one has been doing that since I took it out, the day after the DIR-655 started having issues. My room mate has his own connection for work, on a modem/router combination, and that wifi works just fine. It's a Sagemcom F@st 2864, and I have no idea if that's a 2.4 or 5 GHz (looked in the manual, looked it up online, can't find that information).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:12:53 PM by steph_444444 »

Hard Harry

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 02:19:52 AM »

So you have a DI-524 that had the same symptom? Thats different. If your seeing settings revert to old settings, or the SSID change, with two separate devices, then its unlikely a device issue, but someone or something interfering. Maybe your room mate is loging into the your router from the network and changing things so he can log in? Maybe his IT?

Try disconnecting both your routers and looking at the networks around you. See any named the same as yours or similar?
Pages: [1] 2