• April 24, 2024, 09:58:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NAS Shutdown via HTTP / HTTPS Call  (Read 5552 times)

AndyB

• Level 1 Member
NAS Shutdown via HTTP / HTTPS Call
« on: August 29, 2009, 01:27:18 AM »

Hi,

Would it be possible to shutdown the NAS via HTTP / HTTPS Call with User / Password?

It is possible to shutdown the NAS via certain UPS directly.
Since we have multiple servers attached to UPS, we use APCs Powerchute Network Shutdown to control the servers via Network in case of a power outtage.

There is a linux version of the tool which is java based, but I doubt we will get a Add-On ;-)

It would be really usefull, to be able to shutdown the NAS via an HTTP / HTTPS Call - e.g. from a shutdown script. Since the random id is generated during the web session, it is not possible to shutdown the nas using a script.

I'm aware that auto-power recovery is not available for older H/W Versions then C1. So the UPS would need to be turned on manually after a power outtage - but at least the correct shutdown would be ensured.

Thanks,
AndyB

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: NAS Shutdown via HTTP / HTTPS Call
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:37:44 AM »

If you have telnet access to the unit you can do a scripted shutdown - and it may be possible to achieve the same thing without telnet - please note - I have not tested this with recent versions of the firmware.

From a command line prompt use touch to create a file called shutdown in the /tmp folder - touch /tmp/shutdown - will do it, and the unit will shut itself down.  This used to be a part of the front panel shutdown process, but like I say, it's been awhile, so I don't know what changes have been made in the newer firmware versions.

I don't think it matters how you create the file, or even the contents of the file.

Now there are challenges to running telnet from a script, and out of the box there is no telnet server running on the DNS-323 - trust me, it can be done, Google is your friend - I used to have a script running on a Windows server that ran Powerware's Netsafe shutdown software - Netsafe would call the script before triggering the Windows shutdown routines and the Windows server would shutdown, the DNS-323 would shutdown and then the UPS would turn itself off.

APC's PowerChute also has similar capabilities, so you should be able to achieve similar results.

A second way to go about this would be to modify D-Link's NUT (Network UPS Tools) implementation - the DNS-323 in a couple of the newer firmware revisions supports UPS monitoring using what appears to be a default NUT implementation.  NUT, as the name suggests, can communicate over a network and at least in theory, can be used to shut the unit down on command.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

rsbrace

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 08:42:54 AM »

Have there been any advancements on this topic.

I would love to be able to shut down the unit through Cobian Backup after the file transfer is completed.

AndyB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »

rsbrace

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »

Nice work. Exactly what I was looking for.