• April 23, 2024, 02:10:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Best bet to not losing all data during migration to 1.08  (Read 8115 times)

buju

• Level 1 Member
Best bet to not losing all data during migration to 1.08
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:51:11 AM »

Hi, I am on 1.06, intending to move to the 1.08 beta.

I am using Raid 1 and ext 2.
I hope that someone can help with the following:
- Since the data is mirrored on the 2 disks, how can I use that to my advantage and hopefully upgrade to 1.08 without losing any data? What steps should I take?
- I am thinking of switching to ext3, as I hear that it is better than ext2 - I believe that upgrading from ext2 to ext3 will not result in data loss, unlike when downgrading from ext3 to ext2. Is that accurate?
- Do you think that with a RAID 1 config it is worth moving to ext3? Judging from: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5572.0 it may not. The robustness seems to be there with ext2 RAID 1. Is it really worth the upgrade?

Thank you.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:33:57 AM by buju »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Best bet to not losing all data during migration to 1.08
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 03:56:22 PM »

Updateing to 1.08 beta will not require you to format or loose any data. However if you with to change the drive format to EXT3 it will require a format. This can be done after the update only if you choose to do it manually.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »

If it's ext2 already, upgrading to ext3 isn't really the way to go.  I don't think the mechanism to do so really works well in the long run.  In my tests, while I could do the process, I wasn't ever able to get disk checking to work properly.  So what's the point of the journaling filesystem if you can't run a check? :)

Best to start off from scratch with ext3 rather than upgrading to it.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:59:31 AM »

If it's ext2 already, upgrading to ext3 isn't really the way to go.  I don't think the mechanism to do so really works well in the long run.  In my tests, while I could do the process, I wasn't ever able to get disk checking to work properly.  So what's the point of the journaling filesystem if you can't run a check? :)

Best to start off from scratch with ext3 rather than upgrading to it.

The point of running a journaling file system is the additional security it offers ...

- let's say you open a file and modify it, when you save that modified file, the changes to the file system that are going to be made, are written to the journal before the file itself is saved (ie before the changes are made to the file system itself), if the system were to crash or a power outage were to happen in the split second between your clicking save and the file actually being written to the disk, chances are quite good that, when power is restored, those changes can be completed, from the information written to the journal, or if it was incomplete, the changes reversed or backed out, again based on the information stored in the journal - this is of course a very simplified explanation.

In an ideal situation - you'd have UPS systems to provide power protection and systems would never crash, but the real world is far from ideal and a journalling file system could mean the difference between a Point of Sale transaction that simply needs to be re-entered or the entire Point of Sale & Inventory database corrupted.

On a SOHO NAS such as this a journalling file system could mean the difference between losing all your stored data in the event of a power failure whilst writing to the disk and just running a disk scan and fixing the problem.

Also - for what it's worth - I have been able to use that disk scan tool on both ext2 & ext3 file systems - it's just not very informative as to what it is doing, has done, or has failed to do.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

buju

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:16:18 PM »

OK, so I performed the upgrade to 1.08 and indeed there has been no data loss.
Thanks D-Link for making this possible and thanks for confirming this works, in this thread.
I will likely go to ext3 some time soon, when I will have the time to transfer the data to another drive.
Till then I will stick to ext2 and test the new goodies.

And BTW, mkv does NOT work for me - I did even a full UPnP AV/ DLNA refresh and the mkv files do not show up.

So, what's going on? I suppose that I have to open a different thread for that. Thanks folks.
I will also test mts - which was one of my main asks - I am glad D-Link listened to the users...
Cheers.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 09:31:58 AM »

And BTW, mkv does NOT work for me - I did even a full UPnP AV/ DLNA refresh and the mkv files do not show up.

So, what's going on? I suppose that I have to open a different thread for that. Thanks folks.
I will also test mts - which was one of my main asks - I am glad D-Link listened to the users...
Cheers.

What device are you using this with?

buju

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »

PS3

The files extension is .mts, the extension used for HD video in Sony HD camcorders.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »

Yeah .mts High-definition MPEG Transport Stream video format is currently not supported.

As for .mkv I don't think PS3 supports .mkv playback natively.

buju

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »

Thanks for the answer. But I don't get it... .m2ts and .ts are supported and they are basically the same thing... Why would you not support .mts??
Actually, for the time being I have to view the files by changing the extension to .ts - which works??

I hope that you can add .mts, shortly. Thanks.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »

The PS3 does not support .MKV files with the current firmware (2.76).  It's not the 323 that can't serve .MKV, it's the PS3 not being able to understand the format.

There is a small but rather significant difference between m2ts and mts.  M2TS has timecode added to the stream which allows random access to stream data.  MTS in and of itself is a file with a beginning and an end.  Without aid from another file with timecode data (or some kind of database), the file would be non-seekable.  Hence when working with camcorders, they export MTS into M2TS, merging the audio/video stream with the proper timecode.  It's all on Wikipedia...

Another example of MTS would be live television which is stream to your high-definition set top box.  Because it's designed to be consumed live, it is sent as MTS.  In the case of a STB with DVR, the DVR adds timecode to the MTS, creating a M2TS, which we all have come to know and love as the ability to pause live TV.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:47:26 PM by ttmcmurry »