• April 19, 2024, 02:22:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Sending e-mail alerts  (Read 11595 times)

PhillB

• Level 1 Member
Sending e-mail alerts
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »

Under v.1.06 firmware I was unable to get the DNs-323 to send e-mail alerts and was told tha this would be fixed in the next release.

Trying 1.08b still doesn't appear to work.  I've entered the same settings my mail client uses to send mal via Zen, but using the "test e-mail" function appears to try to send the e-mail then fails.

Any idea if e-mail alert functionality is supposed to be working in this beta version?

Thanks,

Phill.

PhillB

• Level 1 Member
Re: Sending e-mail alerts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »

Ok, think I may have found out what's happening.

The e-mail gets sent to Array_E-Mail_Alert@....   rather than the address I enter in the DNS-323.  That seems to then get rejected by Zen's mail system giving the following error:

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<Array_E-Mail_Alert@......

If I set the sender e-mail address in the DNS-323 to my address I then ge the mail bounced back to me as being undeliverable and the DNS-323 reports the mail as sent rather than failed.

I'm not sure why the incorrectly addressed mail is rejected my Zen, but for some reason the DNS-323 is ignoring the receiver e-mail address I set and sending it to ay_E-Mail_Alert@ instead.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Phill.

p.s. is this he correct place to post bugs or is there a way to submit them to D-Link?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »

This is the correct place. It appears to have missed a bracket closing the code so its static set to that address instead of taking the form value.

PhillB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »

OK, great, thanks for the reply.  Will this get corrected before release?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »

<rolls his 8 ball>

Survey says, Probably yes.

Fully intend to make sure all features advertised are working before final release :).

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »

Same problem here. Activated e-mail alerts and setted it for automatically sending 1.A.M. every night.
DNS-323 running since 3 days with Firmware 1.08 now. Never received an e-mail from my DNS-323 :(
DIR-825 - HW: B1 - Firmware: 2.05WW Build05 Beta01
DNS-323 - HW: B1- Firmware: 1.08 Beta build 05

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 04:41:12 PM »

Just wanted to mention - I've had no problems with email alerts since maybe 1.03, they worked for me with 1.06, 1.07 and still do so with the 1.08 beta
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »

my alerts are working as well, i was on 1.06 and now on 1.08b and all is working well, i like the new bt alert, that is helpful!!!

PhillB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 01:20:52 AM »

Those that have e-mail alerts working, do you receive the alert to the address you enter or is it received via Array_E-Mail_Alert@...... address?

I think they fail for me as I use pop3 mail so only get mail that's addressed to pop boxes I've already set up, where as I guess if I were using smtp I'd get them anyway.  If I enter my own address in the sender fiels I then receive an email that the mail was bounced back as my e-mail provider assumes I've sent an e-mail to array-e-mail-alert@... so lets me know its failed.

Thanks,

Phill.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 05:51:46 AM »

Those that have e-mail alerts working, do you receive the alert to the address you enter or is it received via Array_E-Mail_Alert@...... address?

I'm not certain I understand this question - if the alert does not go to the address I enter, then how would I receive it?

I think they fail for me as I use pop3 mail so only get mail that's addressed to pop boxes I've already set up, where as I guess if I were using smtp I'd get them anyway.  If I enter my own address in the sender fiels I then receive an email that the mail was bounced back as my e-mail provider assumes I've sent an e-mail to array-e-mail-alert@... so lets me know its failed.

Thanks,

Phill.

Ok - this sheds a little more light - what you seem to be seeing is the "failure message" from your ISP - no, I get my alerts at the recipient email address I enter, and it shows as coming from the sender address I enter.

One more thing - email is always sent using smtp - simple mail transfer protocol - it goes via smtp to the server and is recovered using pop3 - post office protocol 3 - or something similar, there are pop1 & pop2, both now obsolete, pop3, & imap4
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

PhillB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 08:15:53 AM »

Hi Fordem,

Ok, thanks for that.  I realize pop3 is only for collecting mail, but it does make a difference as I only receive mail specifically addressed to one of my pop boxes, all other mail is rejected.  If I were using a system where by I received all mail sent to my domain I'd get the ones the DNS-323 is wrongly addressing to array-e-mail-alert@mydomain rather than the phill@mydomain.

You are correct, when I had the "sender address" set to anything other than one of the addresses of my pop3 boxes I received no mail alerts from the DNS-323 as they were rejected by my ISP and the DNS-323 test message shown mail faiure.  However, if I I set the sender address to my actual e-mail address I then get a failure message from my ISP and can see the incorrect addressing as being array-e-mail-alert@mydomain.

Interesting that you get correctly addressed alerts.  I'd have expected the same behaviour as I'm seeing if the coding is missing a closing bracket as posted by D-Link.  I guess there's more than one factor affecting this.

Cheers,

Phill.

Spalf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 05:17:06 AM »

This works fine for me. I receive the email from my specified email address.

Wilson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 04:24:48 AM »

Hello Phill:
    Could you please have shown all the settings that you set? This may help to point out the issue too.

Wilson

PhillB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 07:40:44 AM »

Hi Wilson,

What settings would you like to know?

I have the login method as "Account" with my e-mail user name and password leaving the port as 25 astting the receiver e-mail address to my adddress and the sender as DNS-323@mydomain.

Thanks,

Phill.

Wilson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 02:09:42 AM »

The fully address of receiver addr and sender addr and the SMTP server. Did you check SMTP authentication option. Because most of the ISP need to check this and also please confirm your mail server didn't use a specified port other than 25 like gmail.