• April 26, 2024, 02:11:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 (C1 Rev. Known Fan Issue + High Disk Temps Still Remain)All BETAs Tested  (Read 9912 times)

eilz

• Level 1 Member

Appolgies if already on similar posts, but there seem to be a underlining issue with all C1 models.  

Earlier firmwares either stopped the Fan completly or never started them, THOUGH newer BETA firmwares appears to now work better BUT are still not switching Fans on/off at safe temperatures which I believe will causing harm to drives.

Mosts users on these forums have noticed disks HOTTER reaching 45 Dregrees! and no FANs kicking ON, the actual disks are very HOT and I believe pyscially they are much warmer than the listed 45 Degrees on the stats page.

>>Q) Can this be controlled, or can the Firmware be edited so that AT least the SLOW FAN kicks in a little earlier, I believe the listed DEFAULTS are set as:

OFF = 43 degree celcius
LOW = 46 degree celcius
HIGH = 49 degree celcius

REQUEST>> I believe they should be reduced by at least a couple of Degress each, does anyone agree?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:07:22 AM by eilz »

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member

Is this a non-issue?

...The figure shows that failures do not increase when the average temperature increases. In fact, there is a clear trend showing that lower temperatures are associated with higher failure rates. Only at very high temperatures is there a slight reversal of this trend...

labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

You must live in a warmer climate than me, my drives are currently 29 C and 30 C and the fan never comes on.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:04:49 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

Boogieman

• Level 1 Member
FAN CONTROL PROPOSAL
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:49:17 PM »

I concurr and can confirm that fan mode OFF/SLOW/HIGH activate fans to late (at least on 1.08).
I would like to have the following added:

1. A table for adjustable settings for fan start/stop, something like below.
Add a min level so that the end user can not "disable" the fans - ie you can not set LOW->HIGH to more than 55 degrees.

2. The hard disk temp readout from the S.M.A.R.T table. This is standardized and should be a no brainer to implement for D-link engineers. Allow end user to choose fan activation due to both HD-temp and DNS cabinet temp

LIKE SO:

Code: [Select]
Current temp        HD1.temp              HD2.temp            DNS.temp

FAN ACTION        HD1 TEMP             HD2 TEMP             DNS TEMP
LOW -> OFF        x0 degrees            y0 degrees           z0 degrees (default: 35)
OFF -> LOW        x1 degrees            y1 degrees           z1 degrees (default: 40)
LOW -> HIGH       x2 degrees            y2 degrees           z2 degrees (default: 45)
HIGH -> LOW       x3 degrees            y3 degrees           z3 degrees (default: 39)

SAVE          DEFAULT

Lets provide sample code to make it easy :)
Code: [Select]
! FAN values
! 0=Off
! 1=Low
! 2=High

SELECT CASE FAN:
Case 0
  IF (HD1.temp >= HD1.x1) OR (HD2.temp >= HD2.y1) OR (DNS.temp >= DNS.z1) THEN
     FAN := 1;
  END_IF;

Case 1
  IF (HD1.temp >= HD1.x2) OR (HD2.temp >= HD2.y2) OR (DNS.temp >= DNS.z2) THEN
     FAN := 2;
  ELSIF (HD1.temp <= HD1.x0) AND (HD2.temp <= HD2.y0) AND (DNS.temp <= DNS.z0) THEN
     FAN := 0;
  END_IF;

Case 2
  IF (HD1.temp <= HD1.x3) AND (HD2.temp <= HD2.y3) AND (DNS.temp <= DNS.z3) THEN
     FAN := 1;
  END_IF;

END SELECT
Of course you can add ELSIF's also for FAN CASE 0 and 2 to also check temps that move them "2 steps" i.e. High-Off, but that is only if you can not force the temp values to be "on the correct side of each other" :)

When done it could look something like this :)

My DNS-323
Hardware Version: B1
Firmware Version: 1.08
Software Version (Easy Search): N/A
Additional software installed: Transmission BT-client (and funplug of course)

Harddrive 1: WD Caviar Green 1TB (5400 RPM)
Harddrive 2: WD Caviar Green 2TB (5400 RPM)

When disks are idling (spun down) the DNS-323 idle temp is 39 degrees C.
Room temp about 21 degrees.
Fan still off.

Considering that most hard disks prefer lower temps for a long lasting life, users that can live with some fan noise should have this option to perfect their system and it sure is not a hard task to implement.

Now just DO IT to shut all of us up that want our disks to last...I mean it is a DISK-PRODUCT :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:42:14 PM by Boogieman »

thejinx6

• Level 1 Member

may be just a coincidence but my 323 rarely gets above 42 degrees now i've put 1.10 beta build 7 on it. The 06 build had it regularly over 44 degs...

this is all with the fan still not coming on at all...

thejinx6

• Level 1 Member

yeah its just a coincidence.. 45 degs and no fan.

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member

Just a suggestion until the issue gets fixed in the firmware. I picked myself up a cheap laptop cooler that has 2 fans and connects via usb. I sit my router and my DNS-323 on it and plug it into the USB on the NAS and problem solved for under $10.

Now i did this more for my router which was running really warm, put it works like a charm. Also if you need the USB port on the NAS, you can alway pickup one of those outlet to usb ipod charger things for pretty cheap. The best part is that since these fans are larger they run alot quiter that the one on the NAS.

Boogieman

• Level 1 Member

laptop cooler - ok.
Do you just mount the cooler outside or did you remove the entire rear plate and replace with the cooler?
Or did you just put the blinky on the cooler and rely on cooling the cabinet?

You are better off with an airflow through the DNS-323, since the air should pass the hard drives to transport away the heat evenly by convection cooling, ie move all the hot air closest to the drives out on the rear.

Anyway - I dont like the idea of fans spinning constantly, i like control :)

But thanks for the idea, I am just a bit picky when it comes to perfect solutions :$
Boogie

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member

Yeah, i hear ya. I literally just sat the DNS323 and my wireless router on the laptop cooler. It does a great job for my router WRT310N. and helps a bit with the DNS323, cause like you mentioned it's just blowing on the case. even with the fans always spinning, they are very quite, and even if it just drops it a few degrees, its worth it for me since im already running it for the router.