• April 26, 2024, 10:33:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problems With World of Warcraft  (Read 7568 times)

karl21

Problems With World of Warcraft
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:46:48 PM »

Just got the 4500 yesterday and I am having latency issues with World of Warcraft. With my old linksys router my latency was running in the low 100's. With the 4500 I am running in the upper 300's and tonight it spiked up to 2500. I am also having dis-connect problems. I have looked through the forums for trying a few things out but nothing has worked. I have tried disabling GameFuel, turning off SPI in the firewall settings and cloning my PC mac address instead of using the router's mac address, thus getting a different IP address from Comcast. I have run the speed test and getting great results 8,000 kbps download and 640 kbps upload. It has version 1.02 of the firmware. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I just tried enabling DMZ for the computer I am playing WOW on and the latency dropped to the upper 100's, disabled it and it went back up to the upper 300's
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:04:27 AM by karl21 »

URRIAH

Re: Problems With World of Warcraft
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »

By your speed stest results it looks like your modem is from comcast? If it is, this is your first problem as they lock the bandwith on their own modems.
I would get the beta update for the 4500 and sync the time with your pc.
Take your computer out of DMZ, not a good idea.
Turn game fuel back on.
The router should have WOW in it as an application. those ports as well you would put in special applications, this will help get past the firewall for those particular ports as well. turn off spi and dynamic fragmentation.
Make sure your pc firewall is configured correctly for the game as this will slow you down greatly as well.
You may have to create a gamefuel rule for this game.
As for the modem you can go to bestbuy or circuit city and purchase a Motorola cable modem, works great and opens the bandwith right up.
Aslo look at your logs and internet seeions when playing or logged into WOW, this will give you some idea of anything you need to change.

karl21

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »

Thanks! If I purchase my own cable modem will it work out of the box? or do I have to give comcast some info on the modem?

URRIAH

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:08:02 PM »

There is a mac address on the modem that comcast will need. if you run the setup cd it will walk you through the blah blah and then will give you the mac address for the modem, then call comcast internet tech support and tell them you purchased a new modem and they will help you get it online.

gqkull

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »

I don't mean to hijack.  Urriah you stated the following

As for the modem you can go to bestbuy or circuit city and purchase a Motorola cable modem, works great and opens the bandwith right up.

Is this strictly with the comcast ones, or would this apply to the Time Warner ones as well?  I see good timing on mine, but if this is realistic, I may look at doing this as I do intermittently see issues with the wan, and not necessarily based from the router...

URRIAH

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 04:39:43 AM »

Time warner and comcast are essentially one in the same