• March 28, 2024, 03:38:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: "fans can't rotate" error in system logs after upgrade from 1.04b3 to 1.04  (Read 28613 times)

HoustonREF

• Level 1 Member

I've got 4 2gb drives in the DNS-243.  When I upgraded to the 1.05 beta software currently on the board, the "fans can't rotate" error went away, and has been gone for several hours.

Sigh.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic

I've got 4 2gb drives in the DNS-243.  When I upgraded to the 1.05 beta software currently on the board, the "fans can't rotate" error went away, and has been gone for several hours.

Sigh.

Firmware v1.05b01 specifically addressed the "fans can't rotate" error (along with AFT support).

Since it took just under 2 years for this firmware upgrade to occur, will it take a similar amount of time for the next?

The last firmware update was released less than one year after the prior v1.04, not 2 years as you stated.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:25:50 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

HoustonREF

• Level 1 Member

JavaLawyer - Where were you when I needed help?  Look at the competition...  Much more frequent (useful) updates.  Yes, you've got lots of beta updates, but getting out "stable" updates would really be a boon for the users.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

Look at the competition...  Much more frequent (useful) updates.  Yes, you've got lots of beta updates, but getting out "stable" updates would really be a boon for the users.

Yes, there manufacturers with better support, and there are also worse. IMHO, for the DNS-343 price point, the level support is average. Functionally speaking (i.e. critical functionality), the beta updates were rather stable for the most part.

From my perspective it looks like the D-Link development team is of limited size and is required to support too many products, with emphasis on the newer product lines -- and this is why DNS-343 support has fallen to the wayside.

skrupka

• Level 1 Member

On the other hand..  I have a second NAS the Lenovo D400 IdeaCentre and I bought it at the end of the product life cycle.   Even during it's life cycle, it never had any updates or support or even a forum to talk about it.  However.   It's bulletproof, and a much better product than the DNS-343.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

As I'm sure you know, product quality and aftermarket support hinges on the manufacturer. A mainstream name like Lenovo is competing with Dell and HP, so competitive pressure (and reputation) forces them to ensure all their products are more robust. As far as aftermarket support is concerned, I have a Netgear media player that was discontinued at least 1.5 years ago and Netgear still maintains a heavily trafficked and supported community forum the product.

Eilerp

• Level 1 Member

Where can I find the firmware 1.05b01 software?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

Where can I find the firmware 1.05b01 software?

Here: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=39068.0

drick

• Level 3 Member

For those with this issue, does it persist through a reset?

+1 for this problem on all 3 of my units.

all hw v1
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
2x750GB Seagate HDD's / RAID1+EXT3
DNS-343A - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343B - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343C v1.05b + ffp 0.5
4x2TB Seagate HDD's / RAID5+EXT3
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500
Pages: 1 2 [3]