• April 25, 2024, 10:31:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Network is unstable and slow after being secured  (Read 4597 times)

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
Network is unstable and slow after being secured
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:34:52 AM »

Hello,

I am using a DIR-655 with a DWA-142 (D-Link USB adapter) hooked up to a desktop and an an 802.11g network card in a laptopk. After creating a password to access the network, network has become unstable and slow. On the computer with the desktop, the adapters connection manager shows the signal strenth is 100% at 300 mpbs. The laptop connection manager shows the signal strength at 100% at 54 mpbs. We are using the network only to share a cable internet connection.

Below are the settings on the router:

WIRELESS NETWORK SETTINGS

Enable Wireless  : (check in box) Always Add New

802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b

Enable Auto Channel Scan : (check in box)

Transmission Rate : Best (automatic)

Channel Width : Auto 20/40 MHz

Visibility Status :Visible

WIRELESS SECURITY MODE

Security Mode : WPA-Personal

WPA

WPA Mode :  Auto (WPA or WPA2)

Cipher Type : TKIP and AES

Group Key Update Interval : 3600 seconds

(How do I add an image to my post?  The print screen does not work on my computer.  I attached a Word file with a picture of the web page with my router settings.)

If I set the Visibility status to invisible, will my network still be detectable?  If it is still detectable, can someone determine what the SSID is? If the answer is no to either of those questions, couldn't I turn of the password protection and still have my network be secure?   

Is there any setting that I can change that might improve the stability and speed of my network?  Just before changing the settings, I updated the firmware on my router to 1.05. Could this be the problem?

KLA
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:44:00 AM by kevinla »

JHK

• Level 3 Member
Re: Network is unstable and slow after being secured
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »

Keep in mind, that range is limited by the number of walls, ceilings, or other objects that the wireless signals must pass through. Typical ranges vary depending on the types of  materials and background RF noise in your home or business.

Frankly speaking, the WPA encryption method, every connection will have more to be authenticated with the WPA and which means, every packet will have to include little more encryption information than WEP. (Applies to no encryption vs encryption as well.)

What you may try is enabling the MAC Address filter. The MAC (Media Access Controller) Address filter option is used to control network access based on the MAC Address of the network adapter. A MAC address is a unique ID assigned by the manufacturer of the network adapter. This feature can be configured to ALLOW or DENY network/Internet access.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:00:25 AM by mpcshop »
Life is cool! :)

Mhigz

• Level 1 Member
Re: Network is unstable and slow after being secured
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:09:31 PM »

Well you actually receive a 54 mbps connection on your laptop because the card built in to it is on 802.11g and G Standard can only receive up to 54 mbps....