• March 28, 2024, 01:28:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Backup to 3TB USB drive  (Read 21440 times)

Mausschubser

• Level 2 Member
Backup to 3TB USB drive
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »

Anybody experience with a backup from NAS to 3TB USB drive?

Got a brand new USB drive (Intenso Memory Center 3TB) but I couldn't get the backup running when directly connetcted to my DNS-320L. In the USB backup section I was not able to select a destination folder on the USB drive. The dialog for selecting the destination folder simply shown a blank list (even "new" disappeared when doing so). Trying to activate the backup anyway leads to error message that I have to enter a destination.

1) Which file format does the USB drive need to be formatted with to get the 3TB when running on my NAS?
Anybody succes with NTFS, exFAT or FAT32 - all for >2TB of course.

2) Anybody seen the same problem with non-existing destination path?

thx folks!

btw.: Firmware 1.02 and a WD-Red 3TB inside my NAS.

Mausschubser

• Level 2 Member
Re: Backup to 3TB USB drive
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:31:13 AM »

As nobody replied until now, I like to post my own experience on progressing to backup a 3TB HDD to USB drive:

:( I could not use my 3TByte Intenso Memory Center, formatted with NTFS or exFAT, as a USB backup drive on the DNS-320L.
Originally it was formatted with FAT32 (however this is done - so far beyond FAT32 specs...), but this restricts maximum file size to <4GByte.

The only way of making use of this nice drive is to connect it to a PC and simply copy files through Windows from the network shares to the USB disk.

If anybody ever had a >2TByte USB disk running directly on the DNS-320L, please give me a note.

thx, folks! And good luck to everybody trying the same.

vveris1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:38:38 AM »

Hi! I dont suppose you worked out what the problem was? I now have exactly the same issue. Bought new 3TB Seagate drive. The NAS can see it as I can see the model and such but when I open destination windows for NAS to USB backup (or source window for USB to NAS) it is just blank. :(. I have now opened a case with D-Link but it does not look good. Thanks Vita

lkernan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:59:23 AM »

I just solved this with my drive, it was disappearing when setting up backups too.

Formatting the USB drive as EXT3 makes it appear and work with the USB backup function.
Of course, you need a Linux installation or live CD to be able to format as ext3.

jkayca

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »

I have a similar problem. I just got a Seagate Expansion desktop drive which is 3TB in size. The NAS just doesn't want to recognize it properly. It shows up under the USB devices tab but I can't backup to it. I just don't have the option for the USB drive when selection the destination folder. I've tried formatting it as exFAT, EXT4 and EXT3 but nothing seems to work.  :(

regi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »

hi,

i have a 2 tb external drive attached directly to the nas, the drive is formatted in ntfs and havo no problems with it except for the speed
read 15 MB/s
write 6 to 8 MB/s

(MB=megabytes not megabit)  :)

i am using firmware 1.0.3

jkayca

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »

Hi Regi,

I see the same information you posted but the drive just isn't an option for doing backup etc.

regi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 11:10:46 PM »

just tried a nas to usb backup, it works

jkayca

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 05:42:14 PM »

I'm getting closer. I re-partitioned and re-formatted the USB drive using a 3rd party disk tool. The NAS now recognizes the drive and I can select it as the destination for the USB backup. For the partition type I used a primary rather than a logical partition which was how the drive came from the store. I used EXT3 as the file system.

However, I get an error in the status saying the back up failed, error code 2.

jkayca

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »

I got things working. Not sure why the error occurred first time but after restarting the NAS I was able to perform a backup.

I got a little stuck with the whole 'press the usb button' thing. First the manual doesn't say you have to keep it pressed for few seconds. And secondly, why isn't there a button on the web interface?

giuvax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 07:12:46 AM »

I'm getting closer. I re-partitioned and re-formatted the USB drive using a 3rd party disk tool. The NAS now recognizes the drive and I can select it as the destination for the USB backup. For the partition type I used a primary rather than a logical partition which was how the drive came from the store. I used EXT3 as the file system.

Hi, can you please tell me what 3rd party tool did you use? I have the same problem. I had my Intenso 3TB at the begin formatted as fat32 and it worked. Then I converted it to NTFS to store larger files and the NAS can see it but it doesn't mount it. So I tried ext4 and ext3 but it was also the same. It shows the disk but it's missing the third line with the size, which means it is not mounting it.

jkayca

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 07:24:17 AM »

I used gparted

giuvax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 09:11:23 AM »

I used gparted

Uff. Me too, but it didn't work.

jkayca

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »

Make sure you don't use a logical partition. Since the drive is 3TB you will probably also have to use a GPT partitioned drive.

giuvax

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »

Make sure you don't use a logical partition. Since the drive is 3TB you will probably also have to use a GPT partitioned drive.

I formatted it as primary partition ext3. Is this wrong?
Pages: [1] 2 3