The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DNS-323

Is the UPnP/DLNA directory structure part of DNS-323 or my device?

(1/3) > >>

jack468:
Hello.

I recently purchased a D-Link DNS-323 to serve media files to my TV via wireless DLNA Samsung bluray player.

It works great, except for two (minor) issues:

1) The directory file structure is kinda annoying. Is this part of the DNS-323 or my player? For example, when I choose the initial Music Video or Photo icon, it shows another directory Music Video and Photo. Then it has a bunch of other directories, like All Folders, after all that then it shows the actual /directory/ I setup on the DNS-323 configuration. Going back you have to remember to go all the way to the main screen to choose Music Video or Photo otherwise your files don't appear. If this is an issue with the DNS-323, is there any way to configure it without having to go through all those folders?

2) When streaming a video, trying to fast forward shows an error 'Not available'. But I can go to my player's options menu and input a time to skip to, but would have been nice just to press a button. Is this cause of the D-Link, my player, or possibly my encode (works fine on WMP though)?

Oh, and is there any possible way to turn down the brightness of the front three LED lights of the DNS-323? They are like a laser pointer into your eyes in the dark.

I've updated to the latest firmware 1.09.

Overall it's a great device, I'm sure I can get more use out of it once I learn the security settings.

Will appreciate any help on the issues above, thank you.

jamieburchell:

--- Quote from: jack468 on October 20, 2010, 08:43:17 AM ---The directory file structure is kinda annoying.

--- End quote ---

This isn't specific to the DNS-323. I've seen the same with media players using UPnP on other NAS drives (Synology). There seems to be an initial "section" i.e. Music, Photos, Videos - then it shows you the folders on your NAS with those file types filtered.

--- Quote from: jack468 on October 20, 2010, 08:43:17 AM ---When streaming a video, trying to fast forward shows an error 'Not available'. But I can go to my player's options menu and input a time to skip to, but would have been nice just to press a button. Is this cause of the D-Link, my player, or possibly my encode (works fine on WMP though)?

--- End quote ---

If it works with WMP, it would suggest the issue is with the player. However are you streaming via UPnP in both cases?

--- Quote from: jack468 on October 20, 2010, 08:43:17 AM ---Oh, and is there any possible way to turn down the brightness of the front three LED lights of the DNS-323? They are like a laser pointer into your eyes in the dark.

--- End quote ---

You can turn the front LED off in the web admin

jack468:
Thanks for the response.

1. Regarding the file structure, OK I see. This was my first NAS device so I was very unfamiliar. I hope in the future these devices just show the folders instead of using their own folder-based-filter. It makes no sense to me. I suppose it is good for people who dump all the files in one place.

2. Regarding the fast forward issue, you are correct it is a limitation of my player. I did a bit of researching and it seems people are complaining about the Samsung blu-ray player not fast forwarding on any media other than a BD or DVD disc.

3. Unfortunately I couldn't locate where to turn off the LED lights. Is that available on the normal admin web interface or must some add-on/plugin be installed?

jamieburchell:

--- Quote from: jack468 on October 21, 2010, 02:39:21 PM ---3. Unfortunately I couldn't locate where to turn off the LED lights. Is that available on the normal admin web interface or must some add-on/plugin be installed?

--- End quote ---

In the normal web admin > Tools > System > Power LED Control.

I think this was introduced in 1.08 firmware, so if you're not running that (or later) you likely won't see the option.

gianni66:
Hi at all.
Again regarding the file structure.
I have the same problem that the one that Jack describe from a Samsung TV UE32C6000.
When I select "video" icon from TV I found three directory for video, music and photo and if I select video again I have link for "all files" and "folder". Inside "all files" I find the video that I want and also some other video that I have within the photo directory..

At now, from NAS I have "root" shared in UPnP config and all files, video (avi), music (mp3) and photo (jpg) in root folder.
Reading your post I think that something is wrong in my config... I don't understand the way to obtain the right structure.. can you suggest me the right way?
Thank you in advance.. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version