• April 23, 2024, 11:31:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Having issues with Remote Desktop and Dlinkddns.com  (Read 8047 times)

Carlo

• Level 1 Member
Having issues with Remote Desktop and Dlinkddns.com
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »

Hi there. Have three seperate but possibly related problems

1) Can't get remote desktop to work within my network. I have a few linux machines and a few windows xp pro, and 1 vista home premium. I know home premium doesn't have RDP ability setup, so for that I would probably end up using UltraVNC or TurboVNC. But for the time being i'm trying to get RDP to work between 1 linux machine and 1 windows machine.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 for my linux box. I've tried to use RDP and VNC to the XP box and vice versa but was unsuccessful. I have enabled the proper ports in Virtual server section of of my router. I have also set it up in application rules so those ports should be open. 

2) I can't access my router's configuration from outside the network. I've enabled it to be accessible, set it to HTTPS, port 8181. I have used a "what is my ip" website, used that IP address listed, and the proper port# and it can't access the router.

3) I've set up dlinkddns to forward to my network so that i can (eventually) use it so that I can hopefully RDP to my various computer on my network when I'm not at home. However I can't seem to get my router to talk to dlinkddns.com - it never seems to connect. Correct username and password have been enabled.

If needed I can take screenshots and post them here (if possible) to show you my settings (On router, xp, and linux side) and what the errors i'm getting.

Another thought I had was to setup vpn connections to the units but I want to make sure i can get basic rdp setup and working before trying to tackle that.

FroZen

• Level 1 Member
Re: Having issues with Remote Desktop and Dlinkddns.com
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:53:21 AM »

Hello Carlo (italia?  ;D )

i've your "same" problem...i'm running the 1.31EUB02 firmware on my 655 and i'm trying to connect from the outside of the network using dyndns (that works for me!there is a "little bug" when you try to insert the info in the router, you have to, before writing your dyndns account, choose "dyndns" in the first listbox, save the settings and then write in the form the account info. After that obviously re-save and see on the bottom of the page if the router has syncronized with the dyndns server....), open the right port in the port forwarding, open the port locally in the windows client (of course even enabling the "allow remote desktop connection") and try the connection...BUT nothing happens, i mean the rdp call get error that cannot find the remote machine, if i go checking in the router log (without any filter of course!) there is NO log about the remote connection!!!

So i made two tests:

- PING my dyndns account and found that IT WORKS!!!in the log i see the ICMP packet been filtered by the firewall...
- Make a TELNET to my dyndns and even this WORKS, because i see in the log the entry trying to connect to my telnet default port (23)........

So it is an RDP bug?Or a "port" bug?So i moved on, i edited the default port of Windows for RDP, restart the system, modified the rules in the various firewalls local and not, retried to connect with RDP on the custom port but...i got the SAME, no connection, no log entry in the router...retried PING and TELNET and i get the log entries.... ??? ??? ???

I tried even with virtual server but nothing change.......so, who i have to shoot? Microdoft ,DLink or DynDns? or everyone? eheheheheh

cheers!!!!

FroZen

• Level 1 Member
Re: Having issues with Remote Desktop and Dlinkddns.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:27:03 AM »

Noone?