• April 17, 2024, 10:54:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: dlink dns 323 question about two identical HDD  (Read 1843 times)

velocci

• Level 2 Member
dlink dns 323 question about two identical HDD
« on: April 20, 2019, 06:49:37 AM »

Hi all, I just bought two 2gb HDD. I want both to be the same, but not use Raid 1.  I want to do it manually.  So I have all my files on the first HDD.  I want to insert the second HDD and copy the files from the first HDD to the second HDD.  instead of doing it manually, can I configure the second HDD as a raid 1, then when its done, convert it to two separate HDDs (I think its called JBOD)  without formatting the second HDD?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: dlink dns 323 question about two identical HDD
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 08:27:30 AM »

Sorry, you will have to do it manually if you want to edit what is on the second disk.  You can't just convert RAID 1 to JBOD without reformatting both disks.

I do have to wonder why not just use RAID 1 - both disks are identical and if push comes to shove you can pull one disk and read the data on a Linux computer.  Quite some time ago there was one person using 3 identical disks as backup.  He would pull one and replace it with the spare then rebuild the RAID array, after a time he would pull the rebuilt disk and replace it with the old disk and again rebuild the array.  We only heard about it when something went wrong with the hardware - the NAS boxes aren't built with that type of use in mind.