• April 26, 2024, 07:36:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Faulty NAS or Not?  (Read 4264 times)

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
Faulty NAS or Not?
« on: July 16, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »

Ever since purchasing this NAS unit I have been having problems which seems to be in one area.
First off I created a RAID 5 and transferred my data over to it to be told RAID has degraded, I tracked it down to the drive in slot 4 being abnormal so replaced it and it rebuilded the RAID to be told again it has be degraded so tested all 4 HDD's in a computer and they all came back OK.
After reading many comments of flakey RAID support on the DNS-343 I decided to flag the RAID and opted for 4 x standard volumes and all was well until a scheduled quick test was stated on all drives it ran drives 1, 2 and 3 ok but was wondering the next day why I was missing the 4th scan email notification I went into the disk diagnostic settings to find the 4th bay drive still sitting on 0% progress.
So would anyone think it is a fault with the NAS?

skrupka

• Level 1 Member
Re: Faulty NAS or Not?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »

I just don't think this unit is suited for RAID.  I think using just JBOD will yeild the best results.  Software RAID is really not very effective, and that is all the DNS-343 does is software RAID.  if your serious about RAID, you need to purchase something that does RAID at the hardware level.

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »

I'm using JBOD at present but still would like to know why I'm having issues with HDD's plugged into slot 4?
RAID or non RAID

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:28:45 PM »

Anyone?? Do you think I should RMA this unit?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »

Anyone?? Do you think I should RMA this unit?

Hard to say. . . although an RMA wouldn't do any harm and would exclude the hardware as the culprit. If an RMA is issued D-Link will offer you two options:

(1) ship your DNS-343 back to D-Link, and a replacement is sent upon receipt
(2) D-Link ships a new DNS-343 immediately and you have 15 days to return your unit. D-Link requires that you provide a credit card number and D-Link will charge the purchase price and revoke the charge when they receive your unit.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »

Thanks for the information, I might revert back to the latest official firmware and see how that goes, I don't what to waste anyone's time sending it back if it isn't broken but then again I think something strange is happenning.
Is it possible to downgrade the firmware? someone mentioned in these fourms that they did it and it bricked their unit.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »

Thanks for the information, I might revert back to the latest official firmware and see how that goes, I don't what to waste anyone's time sending it back if it isn't broken but then again I think something strange is happenning.
Is it possible to downgrade the firmware? someone mentioned in these fourms that they did it and it bricked their unit.

Moving forward or backward in firmware versions will not brick the DNS-343. In all likelihood, the users that reported problems (both upgrading and downgrading) either uploaded a corrupt firmware file or experienced a network disruption during the actual upload process.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:15:31 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC