• April 19, 2024, 05:19:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1224T, unable to see ports through switch/port forwarding not possible  (Read 5044 times)

akcub

• Level 1 Member

I have a DGS-1224T switch for my 24 port gigabit home network. I recently decided to setup access via wan to the lan for a NAS and a game server. However I am unable to see/connect to anything on the switch. I had an Airport Extreme router and just changed to an ASUS RT-N66U with no change.
If I connect the devices I want to see from my external IP address directly to the router, with port forwarding on I can connect. If the devices are connected to the switch I can't see them.

The desired setup is (device-NAS, Server, Etc) -- (DGS-1224T Switch) -- (Router) -- Cable modem

As I said above if I go Device -- Router (either one) -- cable modem I can ping and see the ports I want open. If I plug into switch. Nothing. I can see devices from within the LAN with items plugged into the switch.

I am learning as I go here but (as you can tell) I'm probably over my head.

Some things I have verified:
Firewall is off
IP addresses for the switch and the router in same range. In this case the router LAN IP is 10.0.1.1 and the switch is 10.0.1.75.
Almost all of the items on my LAN have static IP addresses.

I am looking for anyone who can tell me why I wouldn't be able to  port forward through the switch? What am I missing here....
Any help would be appreciated. Let me know what other info that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Scott

Here is the device information from the switch:
Device Type    DGS-1224T
Firmware Version    4.21.02
Protocol Version    2.001.003
MAC Address    00-24-01-3c-32-ec
DHCP Client    Enabled   
IP Address    10.0.1.16
Subnet Mask    255.255.255.0
Default Gateway    10.0.1.1
Safeguard Engine    Disabled   
Trap IP    0.0.0.0
System Name    Dlink Switch
System Location    Tech room
Login Timeout (minutes)    5
System Up Time    2 days 0 hours 0 mins 34 seconds
802.1D Spanning Tree    Disabled   
Port Mirroring    Disabled   
Broadcast Storm Control    Disabled   
Jumbo Frame    Disabled 
IGMP Snooping    Disabled   
SNMP Status    Disabled   
802.1x Status    Disabled   
802.1Q Management VLAN    Disabled   
Trusted Host    Disabled   
Power Saving    Enabled   

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
Re: DGS-1224T, unable to see ports through switch/port forwarding not possible
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 05:21:20 AM »

Hi,

maybe a problem due to port autoconfiguration error between the LAN port of your router and the switchport the router is connected to? In this case, manually configuring this switch port (speed, duplex mode) might help.

Another reason might be, that the switch port your router is connected to, belongs to a VLAN different from the VLAN configured for the switch ports, your devices are connected to.

PT
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:23:02 AM by PacketTracer »

akcub

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:04:23 AM »

What settings would you suggest for the uplink port (3) on the switch?

How would I ID and fix the vLAN issue? How would I know if the VLAN's were different (or even there?)

Thanks,

Scott

Hi,

maybe a problem due to port autoconfiguration error between the LAN port of your router and the switchport the router is connected to? In this case, manually configuring this switch port (speed, duplex mode) might help.

Another reason might be, that the switch port your router is connected to, belongs to a VLAN different from the VLAN configured for the switch ports, your devices are connected to.

PT

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:59:51 AM »

Hi,

according to the datasheets for DGS-1224T and ASUS RT-N66U both devices support 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet. Hence, if autonegotiation fails you could give it a try to set the switch port the router is connected to to "1000/full". According to page 26 of your switch's manual you can do this via "System > Port Settings".

According to page 28 of this manual you can control VLAN settings via "Configuration > 802.1Q VLAN".

PT