• March 28, 2024, 07:11:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DES-1228P all lights red on switch  (Read 59632 times)

svalles

• Level 1 Member
DES-1228P all lights red on switch
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:16:10 AM »

We have been having alot of issues with DES-1228P, 8 have gone bad in the last 3 months same symptoms look at the switch and all lights are solid red. I have tried to reset to defaults but no success this is a big issue for us. Anybody have any fedback on this thanks.

jkeane

• Level 1 Member
Re: DES-1228P all lights red on switch
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 06:01:10 AM »

We had the same problem, 6 switches in one week. My manager ask me to keep a spare switch in the trunk of my car, in case one when down at night.

We have found that turning off the Safeguard under the security options and updating to the latest firmware helped. But we have had one switch with the latest firmware and safeguard turn off die as of this week (Nov 24).

One thing to keep an eye, before the switch goes bad the Rx and Tx error counters start to increase a lot, at that point you should try and have  a switch ready to replace it, if that is possible. We found once the error counters start to increase and you reset the switch via the GUI or by removing the power cord, switch won’t come back it will lock up (all the lights go red).

We could not resolve the issue, you will need to call Dlink and get an RMA.  If you check the switch, its most likely H/W Ver.:A1, the replacement switches that we got from Dlink was H/W Ver.:A2 and have had no problems with them.

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:41:48 AM »

Any time you have a switch that is 100% lit up with nothing attached and the problem is not resolved with a reset it is time for am RMA.

I am sorry the both of you have had so many failures with the DES-1228P.  D-Link will honour it's warranty, call in with the defective S/Ns and we will get you RMAs ASAP.
non progredi est regredi

jkeane

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 09:16:40 AM »

Sorry, Fatman, didn't mean to sound negative, I have RMA all of the switches I had problems with and have never had any issues with Dlink honoring the warranty. Just put some tips I used to minimize down time.

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »

And the tips were much appreciated.

I just wanted to throw that out there because if this becomes a thread that attracts all people having problems with their switches I want them to know that if their switch looks more like a Christmas tree it's beyond repair.
non progredi est regredi

cbunting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »

I've replaced several also... seems to be all the A1 versions...others have been OK so far.. Just keep plenty of spares and one in the truck at all times, thats for sure. Other than that they are a great switch, except when you have to put one in a closet or open office, the noise of the fans bothers people :)

JJS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »

These units are starting to really scare me.

Here is my experience so far.

4 DES-1228P Switches installed 02/08 (all A1 HW)

*3 have failed. (All lights stuck on/Replaced by Dlink with A2 switches)
*1 Replaced (A2) switch failed and took down my entire network/interfered with other switches/nics (switch had no lights but fans were running)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:44:22 PM by JJS »

4CCT-Telecom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »

We have had 4 go bad in the last few months.
All where HW A1. Luckily we keep a couple spares
handy and D-Link has good RMA policies.

jhennessy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »

I just had my DES-1228P A1 die with all lights lit up and putting thru an RMA today.
Its making me a bit uneasy seeing so many other failures reported.  I'm glad that only my wireless is connected thru the switch and nothing else on the ports but since it takes down all my WiFi I can not have this happen more then once.  If this happens again I think the response will be to drop Dlink and move to another vendor. 

I was hoping that it was just an A1 version issue but the above post about the A2 doing the same is not making me feel any better. 

JJS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:41:43 AM »

Another one just died. Here is the tally:

(4) A1's have died
(1) A2 has died (this was a replacement)

THIS IS JUST CRAZY!! THE WORST PART IS SUPPORT DOES NOT ADMIT TO ANY FLAW WITH THE DEVICE. JUST MY BAD LUCK!!!?!?!?! I SAY BS. I WANT AN EXPLANATION!!

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 08:24:46 AM »

Unfortunately, we do not have one for you.
non progredi est regredi

tgeddings

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 09:27:11 AM »

We purchased 3 March 08.  All 3 have been RMA'ed due to this problem.  Now this weekend one of our replacement switches (A2) has quit.  It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't require a complete unit replacement to fix.  If you use these switches you must have a spare at all times.

4CCT-Telecom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »

Just had a failure with an A2. This was one of the replacements for a failed A1.
Luckily we had a spare on the shelf.
Failures per version
A1-6 most where S/W version 1.20.08
A couple where S/W version 1.20.12
A2-3 all where S/W version 1.30.15
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:47:22 PM by 4CCT-Telecom »

cbunting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »

Ok, so I'm updating from my earlier post.

(6) A1's later
and (2) a2's later

This has gotten out of hand!
Last sunday I got a call from 2 properties that were down, both were des-1228p's....
One was a1, one was a2

sometimes they die with all lights on, sometimes they die with all red lights on only...

I'm going to really ***** to dlink today when I rma this one...at this point these things are so unreliable, I need them to provide a replacement product... I keep 2 spares, but I find myself using the 2 spares quickly with this unreliability factor....

On the other hand, I have plenty of des-1526p's out there that have been in for years and flawless...

I wonder if it's a problem with the PS or what causes this, obviously dlink cannot figure it out, or refuses to make adjustments to manufacturing them.

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »

I don't know what word got replaced by asterisks, but I can only assume it shouldn't have been censored.

Please do speak to your concerns when you call in for your RMA.
non progredi est regredi
Pages: [1] 2 3