The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DNS-321

Can't see DNS-321 in Easy Search

(1/7) > >>

Highmaster2:
Just got this unit as a replacement from D-Link.  Never got the 1st unit to show up either - tech support said return it.  Opened the replacement, installed a Seagate Barracuda, plugged the ethernet cable into my DIR-655 and plugged up the power cable.  Eventually, the power and left drive lights go steady and activity light flashes intermittently.  Unit shows up in the DHCP list of my DIR-655 (1st unit never did) and has an IP assigned to it.  Ran Easy Search from the CD, hit Refresh several times, unit would not show up.  I d/l the latest version of Easy Search (4.8.0.0) from the WD site.  DNS-321 still will not show up in Easy Search so I can configure it.

Any thoughts/solutions/ideas appreciated.

Ryder:
Highmaster2, as many on the forum have said before me, give up on the Easy Search and just use the mapping utility that came with most flavors of Windoze. It is an easier and faster way to get the drive mapped to your PC. I have yet to use Easy Search and I have the 321 mapped to all 4 of my PCs, running anything from XP to Win 7.

Or, if you know the IP of the 321, try logging into it directly from your browser and configure it that way, that always works for me too.

Hope that gives you some help.

Ryder

gunrunnerjohn:
I agree, I can't see any reason for Easy Search, it's very easy to map drives with Windows, and that works every time.

Highmaster2:
Ryder & gunrunnerjohn,

I appreciate the suggestions, but the 321 does not show up when I try to use Vista's Map Network Drive function.  Also, if I put the IP address into the address bar of IE, I get 25,000 search responses on that IP address.  Let me give a little more detail on what I'm seeing:  If I access the router using IE, I get the Status/Device Info page.  Near the bottom is a list of LAN computers.  When I power on the 321, the light for that connection lights up on the router and a few seconds later an entry shows up that is named dlink-0B433E and shows an IP of 192.168.0.197.  (That is within the range of addresses I have the DHCP set for.)  If I then go to Map Network Drive or click Network in the folders list of the Computer window, the DNS-321 is nowhere to be found.  Also tried turning off DHCP to allow the 321 to provide it's own IP address.  Still can't find anywhere the 321 shows up.  Have also tried doing a reset on the 321.  Still no change.  Find it hard to believe that I've gotten 2 bad units in a row - feel like it must be something I'm missing.  Would call D-Link tech support again, but I don't speak whatever language it is they're trying to communicate in.

Again, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

PS to D-Link... You should modify your spell check dictionary to include "D-Link"

ECF:
In the address bar are you typing http://192.168.0.197?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version