The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DNS-320

DNS-320 Transfer speeds

(1/2) > >>

andrewjames:
Hi Guys,

I couldnt find a DNS-320 sub forum, i guess as its a fairly new product so im posting in here
hope thats ok.

I have recently purchased a DNS-320 from Amazon along with 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB HD204UI drives
i couldnt see an updated compatabilty list for the 320 so i hope these are ok. these are Advance format drives which use a 4K sector but apparantly emulate a 512 byte for compatability.

For those that know these drives had a firmware bug which caused data loss, i wont go into too much detail but have also upgraded the firmware

My issue is like many others transfer speeds, but i am not complaing about not getting 25-30mb/sec that these boxes should do
im complaining about getting around 800kb/sec in both directions when using a WLAN connection
My LAN connection is much better at around 9-10MB/Sec, still 1/3rd of what it could be but its usable.

I have done the following so far

upgrade the DNS-320 firmware to V2
rebuilt the array with a full format / raid 1 config
Update my Laptops Wifi Link 5100 to the latest intel drivers
Rebooted my Netgear DG834 54Mb router

im running Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate edition on a Dell Studio XPS 1640 laptop

Im thinking my router could be the bottleneck but have some suspicions over the HDDs
any help would be great guys

I still need to test with another laptop / wifi card
and possibly swap the router out for a N spec with Gigabit port support

Andy

billb:
I suspect the main problem is your router... the theoretical max speed you can do is:

54Mbps (wireless G) = 6.43MB per sec
100Mbps (normal LAN) = 11.92MB per sec

With wireless you will never see your maximum, even if you are next to it - its not going to happen.. Over a normal cabled LAN, I generally get around 10 MB/s.. Wireless is always rubbish for me - i get around 2MB/s over wireless...

I guess your router is only 100Mbit, 1000Mbit hence you're maxing out your LAN...

Re your HD's.. I believe you may have issues with RAID and the disks - eventhough you have the 512byte compatibility turned on, performance may degrade as the disks fill up - thats not through personal experience, just from what I have read on the forums - please make sure you have a backup somewhere of your data incase the RAID array degrades.

andrewjames:
Billb,

Thanks for your reply, the 100mbit / 11.92Mb makes sense
i wouldve thought my wireless speeds would at least be 1mb but as you say wireless isnt that great
i think i will try a decent N spec / gigabit port router to see if that improve the speeds

I have seen the RAID degrading issue you mentioned its talked about here but has mixed opinons on if its an issue or not - http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=23234.0

Thanks again

andy

TekDes:
I'm also try to understand if any of these disks are compatible with the DNS-320.
None of them are in the compatible list but I heard people are using the first option.
What do you think about the Barracuda?
Which between these are you guys advising?

1) Samsung 2TB SpinPoint F4EG
Interface: SATA3
Cache: 32MB
Speed: 5400 rpm
Data Transfer Rate / Media to/from Buffer(Max.) 250MB/sec
Data Transfer Rate / Buffer to/from Host(Max.) 300MB/sec
Max Operating Temperature: 60 °C

2) Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green
Interface: SATA-600
Cache: 64MB
Speed: 7200RPM
Spindle Speed: 5900 rpm
Drive Transfer Rate: 600 MBps (external)
Internal Data Rate: 144 MBps

3) Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green
Interface: SATA-300
Cache: 64MB
Spindle Speed: 5400 rpm
Drive Transfer Rate: 300 MBps (external)
Internal Data Rate: 110 MBps

Am I wrong of the Barracuda Green is far better then the other two?

andrewjames:
TekDes,

im using the Sammy F4s but only because they was the cheapest option, normally i use barracudas (7200.11) types

have a look at my link above theres a lot of talk about drives

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version