• March 28, 2024, 12:34:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 1.08 + BT addOn 1.00; unexpected outgoing connections?!?  (Read 12530 times)

abellofi

• Level 2 Member
1.08 + BT addOn 1.00; unexpected outgoing connections?!?
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »

I upgraded to 1.08 from 1.06 (with the old BT client installed).
After upgrade, the old BT client was still installed (no torrents, all BT directories EMPTY).
I installed the BT 1.00 addOn which replaced the old BT client.

After noticing a lot of network LED activity, I checked the router and found MANY outgoing connections from the DNS323 to other BT peers.  I have NO torrents running (everything in BT and the HTTP interface is EMPTY/CLEARED).  It's as if there are hidden torrents running...
Stopping the BT addOn results in ALL the outgoing connections closing.

If I remove the BT 1.00 addOn and reinstall the OLD BT client via EasySearch 4400, everything works again as expected (no unsolicited outgoing connections).

Help, anyone?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:19:51 PM by abellofi »

soda666

• Level 1 Member
Re: 1.08 + BT addOn 1.00; unexpected outgoing connections?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:34:44 AM »

Hi!

I have the exact same problem. Feels like my NAS has gotten hacked..

//Sam

abellofi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »

I'm glad to know it's not just me, so there is a bonafied issue.  I had started one torrent with the new BT client and after it was over and removed, I still had tons of outgoing connections; even after removing and reinstalling 1.00.

Now that I've reinstalled the OLD client via easyshare 4400, all is good again - email on torrent complete even works.

abellofi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:41:22 AM »

This is a real issue.

I have three friends at work that also did the 1.06/7 to 1.08 upgrade over the weekend.
We checked today and they ALL have the same unsolicited outgoing connections from the DNS with the 1.00 BT client installed.

Can one of the DLINK reps put this on the BUG list and check into this?  This is a pretty serious security issue.

vk

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:14 AM »

I'm having the same issue. The workaround so far is to stop this addon when it's not being used.

In general this BT addon feels buggy: status/progress page under FireFox 3.6 looks messy although still works, but my Android phone cannot render this page at all. Besides I chose stop seeding after downloading reaches 100% but it appears it does not work, the client keeps uploading after my downloading has completed. I didn't have any of these issues with old BT client.

blackn6345

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 01:35:37 PM »

I just updated to the 1.08 from 1.06 and see the same but also something else.  I noticed that when I first used the addon bit client, I was getting a lot of DoS request from an IP on Comcast network.  Never seen this before, did not think much of it. I downloaded something again and during the process, router ended up going down.  Once I disconnected the DNS-323 it was fine. Log was filled with DoS request. Switched out the router and rehooked it up, did a reformat and reload of the firmware and the client. THen tried it again. Same thing happened BUT the DoS was now coming from the DNS-323. The DNS-323 was now spamming my Router.  So I think this took the router down to begin with.  I removed the 1.08 and back to 1.06 using the old bittorrent, and not getting anything like this. Not even the DoS request.

Now that I know the old bittorrent works with the new 1.08. Think I will go back to 1.08 and see what happens.  Thanks for the info on the old client ABELLOFI.  I didnt even think of trying it.

lvn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:23:12 AM »

I have the same problem. When I go to Add-Ons under Advanced, i dont see Bitorrent listed (I dont use bit torrent and i installed the 1.08 without Bittorrent add on). Can someone help please?

Thanks

JAMBEBVBA

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 02:17:06 AM »

I have the same problem,

I have uninstalled the new bittorent client (the BT folder disapeared by doing this)

However, when I try to install the old bittorent client with easy share 4400

I get a message "please check hard drives" after it should install and the old version is not installed and the ICMP message's keep going :( :(

for now I have blocked the entire box with my router but im getting nuts by the "blocked ports spam" and I dont want to disable my router log :(

for now a fix to simply get rid of bittorent and those message's would be nice,

anyone got any clue what the "please check hard drive's" message after trying to install the old bittorent means ?

thank you,

Hans

JAMBEBVBA

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 01:32:18 AM »

Anyone with a solution for me to be able to install the old version again ???

I get a message 'please check hard disk's' after it should install the old version :(

MPoWeRM3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 11:11:06 PM »

How do you guys go back to the old BT client that came with the system? I can't find easy share 4400/easy search 4400 anywhere on D-Link's download site or the old BT client. Need help with this as the new client keeps sending packets for some reason.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:14:49 PM by MPoWeRM3 »

rhysee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »

ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DNS-323/REV_C/Software/DNS_EasySearch_4.2.0.0.zip

MPoWeRM3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 06:46:38 PM »

Thank you so much. I was looking all over on the US site and couldn't find it. Downloaded version 4400 and installed old BT client. Works perfect!

doggo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 11:47:37 AM »

So, NO response from Linksys staff on this? Not even to confirm or deny there is a possible security breech?

Wow, unbelievably bad way to handle an issue. Just pretend it doesn't exist.

BTW.. can someone tell me how to know if I have the old BT client or the new one installed? I currently have the BT client installed 9not sure if its the 'problem' one or the newer one', but I have the service shut down. Will I still have the unwanted traffic problems, even if I dont run the service?

Thanks.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »

old = installed with easy search
new = installed as an app in the admin UI
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.