• April 25, 2024, 05:32:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!  (Read 167623 times)

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
Re: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »

I confirm that it still does NOT work for WD15EARS Western Digital 1.5TB drives
Which is rather odd because it works (albeit I'm using build 5 of the beta 1.10 firmware) fine here with a WD20EARS, which you would you expect to share any issues with its smaller cousins.

Quote from: phase9
When I have my WD15EARS drive in the DNS-323, the Easy Search Utility never finds any device
I could never get Easy Search to find the device, even when it had no disk drives in it, but if it works for you with the other HD in then it suggests that the unit isn't finishing its start up processing. Was the drive already formatted?? If not, have you tried doing so (by temporarily installing it in a PC)?? If it was, have you tried deleting any existing partitions??
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »

I just installed v1.10b7
I confirm that it still does NOT work for WD15EARS Western Digital 1.5TB drives.

When I plug in my WD15EARS -00MVWB0 drive, the square light infront of the DNS-323 continues to flash forever.  When I remove it and put in my Seagate 1.5TB drive, the light stops and I eventually find the drive using the Easy Search Utility.  My DNS-323 shows up with IP 192.168.0.32.  I find my Seagate 1.5TB drive connected.

When I have my WD15EARS drive in the DNS-323, the Easy Search Utility never finds any device.

I really wonder if I should buy a different 1.5TB drive.  Or just sit and wait for the official release of v1.10 firmware.  Hopefully DLINK can fix this problem in a few weeks.

Whatever issue you are having there is unrelated to AFT. Have you tried removing all partitions on the drive from your PC and re-inserting in the NAS?

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »

Hi, I am looking at replacing my 2TB Seagate drives for 2 Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB 7200RPM SATA3 6Gb/s with NCQ 64MB Cache drives, would this work ok in RAID1?

ctvxl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2011, 09:43:03 PM »

Hi, I am looking at replacing my 2TB Seagate drives for 2 Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB 7200RPM SATA3 6Gb/s with NCQ 64MB Cache drives, would this work ok in RAID1?

The Seagate 3TB drives should work just fine (though I haven't tested those particular drives in it myself so can't say 100% for sure)  However, the DNS-323 will only 'see' 2TB per drive because it does not currently support GPT partition tables.  It still uses MBR, which has a limit of just slightly over 2TB

shana

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2011, 09:25:40 PM »

Dumb question...what are GPT partitions?

_____

mexico dentist
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:37:33 AM by shana »

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:05 AM »

what are GPT partitions?
Google is your friend, but in a nutshell the older MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table limits partitions to just under 2.2TB whereas GPT (GUID Partition Table) removes that limitation (replacing it with one that is unlikely to be an issue for a very, very long time - if ever)
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2011, 01:11:14 AM »

Pointless putting in a 3TB drive to only get another 200MB of extra space, will the new DNS-320 and/or DNS-325 NAS take the 3TB drives?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:13:43 AM by claytonb »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2011, 09:14:03 AM »

Pointless putting in a 3TB drive to only get another 200MB of extra space, will the new DNS-320 and/or DNS-325 NAS take the 3TB drives?

Yes. I already have firmware that supports 3TB drives for the DNS-320/DNS-325 but I have not released it into the beta queue just yet. Working out some other issues.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:12:01 AM by D-Link Multimedia »

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »

I want to get the DNS-343 will I be able to use 3TB drives in that unit? or will I need to upgrade the divice to a later model?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:37:35 AM by claytonb »

Linhares

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2011, 03:21:28 AM »

Yes. I already have firmware that supports 3TB drives for the DNS-320/DNS-325 but I have not released it into the beta queue just yet. Working out some other issues.
Sorry to ask, but how are the beta versions tested? internally? or are also the beta we see sometimes?
Have the team consider to release the source to improve development (as consider under GPL) ?

KOTULCN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »

I currently have have one of these in my 323:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

But I want to upgrade to two 2TB drives. I am backing up the current drive as I don't want to lose any data but I am unclear what hard drive to get. I'm not 100% clear on the different RAID setups and what they do. I use my 323 at home with a few computers and to stream media to my XBOX 360 & PS3. What drive & configuration would you recommend?

Newbie06

« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »

I just installed v1.10b7
I confirm that it still does NOT work for WD15EARS Western Digital 1.5TB drives.

When I plug in my WD15EARS -00MVWB0 drive, the square light infront of the DNS-323 continues to flash forever.  When I remove it and put in my Seagate 1.5TB drive, the light stops and I eventually find the drive using the Easy Search Utility.  My DNS-323 shows up with IP 192.168.0.32.  I find my Seagate 1.5TB drive connected.

When I have my WD15EARS drive in the DNS-323, the Easy Search Utility never finds any device.

I really wonder if I should buy a different 1.5TB drive.  Or just sit and wait for the official release of v1.10 firmware.  Hopefully DLINK can fix this problem in a few weeks.

I just installed the V7 of 1.10 beta firmware and it is working for me with two different WD 2TB drives.  One drives is the WD20EADS and the other is the WD20EARS.  I did format them as standard, so two separate volumes, as opposed to RAID.

Working fine so far...copying data back over now from my other backup drive.  I already setup the printer function and it works fine.  I'll be testing the iTunes functionality in a short while once my music finishes copying over to the DNS-323.

marki555

• Level 1 Member
RAID support Re: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »

In fact, WD does support the WD20EARX in consumer RAID applications. Don't know how it was in the past, but the drive specs - http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701229.pdf - say this:
Desktop / Consumer RAID Environments - WD Caviar Green Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications (RAID-0 / RAID-1).
- Business Critical RAID Environments – WD Caviar Green Hard Drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders and in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications. For all Business Critical RAID applications, please consider WD’s Enterprise Hard Drives that are specifically designed with RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER), are tested extensively in 24x7 RAID applications, and include features like
enhanced RAFF technology and thermal extended burn-in testing.

AMPatrick

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2011, 09:46:39 PM »

1. Loaded my DNS-323 NAS firmware using FW version 1.10b7 (beta).
2. Installed two WD20EARS (Advanced Format drives - ie: 4k sectors).
3. Formatted both - took awhile but it did finish and then asked for a restart.
4. Configured for RAID 1 - took awhile (about half-an-hour) but it did finish.
5. Added users and folders and setup the access permissions - worked fine.
6. Used the built-in "Scheduled Download" to move my videos / movies from other servers to my DNS-323.
7. Worked like a charm and ran like the hammers of hell - glad I've got gig-e interconnects.
8. The updated AV server (DLNA 1.5 compatible) works like charm - no problem streaming videos to my DLNA compliant media receivers from my DNS-323.
9. Initial testing shows that I can get transfer speeds of 12 - 16 Mbytes/sec using gig-e interconnects and writing to my DNS-323 by pushing files from my windows box.

Looks like D-link has got this box working sensibly with Advanced Format Drives.  Now WD rates the WD20EARS at 110 Mbytes/sec sustained transfer rate.  The SATA interface for this drive is rated at 3 Gbits/sec and that rate should easily sustain full speed transfer to the drive.  I've got gig-e connections routed through the LAN side of a D-link DGL-4500 high-end router.  Gig-e connections should handle about 100 to 110 Mbytes/sec sustained (assuming little else is happening on the wire).  The windows box I was using to push the test files was showing about 15% CPU utilization and was not doing anything else - so it was not a bottleneck.  So it would appear that the DNS-323 hardware / firmware was the bottleneck in this test (probably it's processor speed, but also maybe the way it handles the 4K sectors with RAID turned on).  So it looks like the DNS-323 tops out at about 12-16 MBytes/sec transfer rate with WD AFT drives.

All in all, I am very satisfied.  I hope D-link releases an official (non-beta) release of the firmware soon.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:01:32 PM by AMPatrick »

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »

@AMPatrick - thanks for sharing your experience ... VERY useful!!  :)

I've gotten the impression on this forum that people are downgrading back to v1.09 after formatting AFT drives with v1.10b7.  Just wondering why you decided NOT to do this?

I'm considering installing a pair of ST2000DL003 drives (RAID 1) into my newly purchased DNS-323, so looking for info/advice.

TIA!
DH
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11