• April 23, 2024, 05:00:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!  (Read 167538 times)

strevellick

• Level 1 Member
Re: Western Digital Advanced Format Drives - Read before you buy!
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »

After restarting the box, all was well again.  That's weird.

ericj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2011, 10:01:11 PM »

We will be supporting 4k drives next firmware release. So hopefully soon enough we can put this thread to rest :).

It's good that they're finally getting up to speed considering all of the major HD manufacturers have already switched over to 4k format drives. There was no avoiding it.

fri

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2011, 03:34:03 AM »

Hi all,
my 1st post here.
Based on WD EARS issues and the fact that wd20eads is becoming not so easy to find, could you from d-link team please update the list of 2TB HDDs DNS-323 compatible? The list of compatible HD posted in this forum dates 2007 (!!).
Tks

jc777

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2011, 08:27:28 AM »

anybody had tried and confirmed that the guide by dcmwai works for RAID 1 on WD EARS AFT hdds? i have gotten a DNS-320 but there is no section for DNS-320.

is it still necessary to short jumper pins 7-8? or can just shorting the jumper pins 7-8 works without going through the guide?
@DAFILKOV01
Problems will start appearing later on, not right off the bat. By that time, you will have data you will need to move, making fixing it more difficult. I strongly suggest you format properly in the beginning, before reaching that point.

Timezlicer, dcmwai and myself wrote guides on formatting properly. Mine is here: http://www.consumedconsumer.org/2010/06/upgrading-my-dns-323-to-2-x-2-tb-ii_08.html

strevellick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »

I am currently running 2-2TB WD20EARS drives in a RAID-1 configuration.  There are working now.  Perhaps not to the best of there ability, and perhaps not for long.  There are however active.  Once we receive the 1.10 firmware update I am hoping to re-format (if necessary) the HDD's and start using it with confidence.  At least that's the plan.  :-)

jc777

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »

are you also using DNS-320?

how did you set up? using the dcmwai guide? or the NAS default web utility? did you short jumper pins 7-8?

looking at 2TB hdd and WD20EARS in particular. hope to get it within next 2 days and configure them to run RAID 1 without problems.
I am currently running 2-2TB WD20EARS drives in a RAID-1 configuration.  There are working now.  Perhaps not to the best of there ability, and perhaps not for long.  There are however active.  Once we receive the 1.10 firmware update I am hoping to re-format (if necessary) the HDD's and start using it with confidence.  At least that's the plan.  :-)

strevellick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2011, 09:01:36 AM »

Oh...I apologize, I thought you were using a DNS-323 as this is the correct forum for it.  In my case I simply used the web utility and set the RAID.  I did not short jumper the pins.

jc777

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »

it's ok, there is no 320 subforum, so i have to ask here. i am wondering if shorting jumper pins 7-8 does make the AFT hdd emulate as non-AFT and thus able to use without much customisation. anybody know?
Oh...I apologize, I thought you were using a DNS-323 as this is the correct forum for it.  In my case I simply used the web utility and set the RAID.  I did not short jumper the pins.

strevellick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »

I expect a beta firmware with support tomorrow or early next week. I wouldn't hold off on returning drives if you feel you can not wait but I plan to release the next firmware in a few weeks to a month (still needs full lab testing).

I will release it as beta for those that wish to try it as soon as it is available.

Any news?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »

Still waiting on engineering. They have to change format process flows so I would rather they didn't rush and make mistakes. :)

strevellick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2011, 10:15:21 AM »

Still waiting on engineering. They have to change format process flows so I would rather they didn't rush and make mistakes. :)

Good idea.  Thanks for the reply.

jc777

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »

I am currently using DNS-320 with 2 x 2TB WD20EARS in RAID 1 config with both hdds jumpers 7-8 shorted. Is there any impact on using the new firmware? e.g. can I just upgrade the firmware straight with the current RAID 1 hdd or do I have to backup all data and reformat them totally? Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:21:53 PM by jc777 »

smokefree

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »

I've read though this post (all 8 pages of it!!!), and I was hoping someone could clarify if I can safely go out and buy a new WD20EADS for use in RAID 1 mode in the DNS323? 

My confusion is caused by the following conflicting information:
1. D-Link says that the drive is compatible (but this hasn't been updated lately)
2. Posts stating a drive without TLER will likely get kicked off of RAID an error occurs
3. WD "recently" crippled the firmware to disable TLER

Can someone please confirm the stability and reliability of this configuration? 

Thanks

For the record, I have had a pair of WD10EADS (manufactured January 2009 - Drive S/Ns : WCAU4947xxxx) that has performed very nicely since May of 2009.

jasonsbx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2011, 12:38:49 AM »

I've read though this post (all 8 pages of it!!!), and I was hoping someone could clarify if I can safely go out and buy a new WD20EADS for use in RAID 1 mode in the DNS323? 

1. D-Link says that the drive is compatible (but this hasn't been updated lately)
2. Posts stating a drive without TLER will likely get kicked off of RAID an error occurs

Thanks

For the record, I have had a pair of WD10EADS (manufactured January 2009 - Drive S/Ns : WCAU4947xxxx) that has performed very nicely since May of 2009.

I believe  the TLER issue has been answered elsewhere basically in these devices it doesn't impact presumably cause its software raid.

scaramanga

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2011, 02:48:53 AM »

Thanks

I cannot confirm, just point you to this post I made a while back: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=16049.msg92529#msg92529
DNS-323 HW Rev. C1 FW 1.08 fun_plug 0.5
2 x Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1 in Standard mode
(LLC changed to 5 minutes. Partitions aligned to 4K boundary)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11