• March 18, 2024, 11:29:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Which SWITCH from DLINK supports cat 6 cables???  (Read 21248 times)

digobh

• Level 1 Member
Which SWITCH from DLINK supports cat 6 cables???
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »

Hi Folks

I've been trying to search at the internet about how to build my own network in my office.

Basically my newtork will be:

1 Server Ubuntu
6 workstations using Mac OS X clients
1 Switch 24 ports GIGABIT
1 DataFile Server
6 render nodes (PCs with ubuntu) - Could bump up with time.

As my flow of file will be heavy with render running all times, and the workstations loading file from the server all times as well, I decided to go for a gigabit speed solution.

That's where all my headaches started.

I found that to start with a gibagbit network, would be best to have at least a cat 6 cables where the flow of data would be faster than using a cat 5e cable.

So far so good. When I had decided to go for D-LINK  1024D Switch (gigabit), scanning the manual pages I found on Technical Specifications:

Network
Cables:

Ethernet: 2-pair UTP Cat. 3,4,5, Unshield
Twisted Pair (UTP )Cable 

Fast Ethernet: 2-pair UTP Cat. 5,                       
Unshield Twisted Pair (UTP )Cable

Gigabit
Ethernet: 4-pair UTP Cat. 5e,     <-------------------------------- 5e????????????                       
Unshield Twisted Pair (UTP )Cable

So I came to the conclusion that this particular SWITCH doesn't support cat 6 cables. Then I started to look at the internet for Switches that would support this type of cable... 3COM or D-LINK...
Unfortunately I couldn't find any other manual that would give me this information...

I am totally lost now because I don't know anymore what type of SWITCH to buy.

I just know that I need a SWITCH 24 ports, GIgabit that I can plug my cat 6 cables and extract the most of it without loosing any feature, as I am using a cat 6 cable.

Can any one help me out? What SWITCH do buy??

Thank you very much for you attention in advance.

Rodrigo Guimaraes

TimotiSt

• Level 1 Member
Re: Which SWITCH from DLINK supports cat 6 cables???
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:05:37 AM »

You can safely buy any switch that supports 1000Base-T connections.

There is a nice explanation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAT6
or

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/30555-gigabit-ethernet-needto-know-2008?showall=&start=1

Cheers,
Tamas
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:50:30 AM by FurryNutz »
CCNA, JNCIA, JNCIS, 3DP, but still a llama...