• April 19, 2024, 10:13:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Feature request  (Read 5660 times)

MrP

• Level 1 Member
Feature request
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »

Hi,

I'm a big user of Axis products, but I decided to try out the DCS-2210 since I read some
postings that this was a great camera. After now trying it for a couple of days I do agree
that the picture is OK, but when it comes to menu and settings, let's say there is a LOT
to improve (if the product is to be liked by more proffessional users...).

I do however have one feature request to make the camera more easy to use "stand alone".
In "Event Setup" under "Media" and "Snap Shot". Can a choice be added where user can choose
how many pictures should be saved before starting over and overwriting the first pictures.
Axis have this feature and that allowes for example 4000pictures to be saved in a loop, where
this number is added to the picture name, and the oldest picture get overwritten.

This feature is perfect when having a simple installation with a NAS present, and where one would
NOT like to use a supervision software. The it's simple to FTP or simply save this loop of pictures
onto a known area on disc, and do not have to be worried that to overflow with pictures...

Is the firmware open source? If so, where can latest source be found and what development
environment is used (what is the target microcontroller?)

/Regards, MrP

evilslon

• Level 2 Member
Re: Feature request
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:05:38 AM »

Is the firmware open source? If so, where can latest source be found and what development
environment is used (what is the target microcontroller?)

It seems nobody wants/can answer you so give me a try.
1. Yes, but partially (not all components are open and present in downloaded archive so you cannot build fully functional firmware using these source code files).
2. You can download the source code + building toolchain (~1.6 Gb) from here or from Russian D-Link's FTP here (way more fast and stable download speed). The camera is based on TI's TMS320DM365 SoC which core is ARM926EJ-S rev5 ARM5 processor.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:10:29 AM by evilslon »

MrP

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for answer. I do have two additional questions:

1. What is missing in public source code? Can anything useful and working be compiled with open source?
2. How big is the chance to get requests (as I did in my posting) added to firmare (is this the right forum for requests)?

/BR MrP
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:44:04 AM by MrP »

evilslon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 09:42:17 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for answer. I do have two additional questions:

1. What is missing in public source code? Can anything useful and working be compiled with open source?
2. How big is the chance to get requests (as I did in my posting) added to firmare (is this the right forum for requests)?

/BR MrP

1. If you compile these sources you will find that there's no webinterface, just one service page which is asking you to upload the original D-Link's firmware file, also because D-Link is not updating their firmware sources version, the version of the compiled firmware will be 1.00 (remember, recent version atm is 1.20).
2. Almost zero, but who knows... At lesat developer sometimes are read these forums. And yes, i think this is the right place.

And i have a tip for you: If you need some functionality and you thinking about making feature request plz take a look into firmware wishlists for 2132L/2332L made by our glorious moderator JavaLawyer in the neighbor forums about these cameras. It both (and many other D-Link's IP Cams) share the same hardware architecture as 2210 and 2230 but are more popular and have much more users comparing to DCS-2210 (and 2230 too) and because of this all features added into 2132L/2332L almost automatically will be added into 2210 (2230). So take a look at these forum threads: Maybe someone already asked for functionality needed to you?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:45:03 PM by evilslon »