• April 23, 2024, 09:22:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Does disabling DNS realy resolve lock ups for your 655?  (Read 74564 times)

viinceennt

Re: Does disabling DNS realy resolve lock ups for your 655?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »

disabling dns resolves the lock up, but it still has problems of resetting and stuff like that.

I would like DNS on because its an awesome thing to have but right now its currently disabled.

With DNS disabled, it lasts about a week until a reboot is required to function normally.

I have to do a reboot because my internet slows down, and when i try to log into the router, it barely responds.

ruski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 08:38:15 AM »

Dlink, any ideas on the multiple DNS numbers?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 09:00:17 AM »

No thats weird. I've never seen anything like that before.
Is it only 1 Pc on your network thats doing that?

ruski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 09:37:27 AM »

All three PC's on the network are doing it, and are showing the same numbers.

I just double checked to verify that all the machines do have the same thing happening.

ONE Vista x64 SP1 machine  802.11n connection
ONE Vista x32 SP1 machine  802.11g connection
ONE XP x32 SP3 machine     802.11g connection

I have not tried a wired connection yet, but I will shortly.  As of this moment the list has expanded to 18 different DNS numbers up from the 14 that were posted in the last screen shot.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »

Thats so crazy.
I'd RMA that router.

ekarlw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »

I voted yes because I couldn't make it 16 hours and so far it's been 24 and counting - we'll see how the long term results end up.

Background: Was running rock solid on 1.21, updated to 1.32NA (NA="no answer?") in an attempt to resolve another issue. The router would broadcast OK but not answer/respond to any wired or wireless requests the next morning.

viinceennt

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »

I voted yes because I couldn't make it 16 hours and so far it's been 24 and counting - we'll see how the long term results end up.

Background: Was running rock solid on 1.21, updated to 1.32NA (NA="no answer?") in an attempt to resolve another issue. The router would broadcast OK but not answer/respond to any wired or wireless requests the next morning.

hahaha!! the NA = no answer

oh wow. thats funny. haha it actually flows.... no answer to "what the heck is wrong with my dir-655"

or "im having problems with my dir-655, any help?" (no answer...)

hopefully dlink can fix this issue with the dir-655 soon, i would like to use ALL of its functions properly again.

ruski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »

Thats so crazy.
I'd RMA that router.

I would, but unfortunately I am outside the US at the moment.  I am teaching English abroad and took the router with me so I could have wireless.  I will not be back in the States until after the warranty expires.

As far as I can tell having all the numbers doesn't really cause a major problem.  This only happens when DNS relay is disabled, but for me with DNS relay disabled the router is appearing to be stable.  I am going to try manually setting the DNS numbers on the router so see if that prevents it from accumulating the excess IP's.  At the same time I will try doing that with both DNS relay enabled and disabled.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 10:15:16 AM »

HMM
I wonder if the odd ip's are ISP related.

ruski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »

HMM
I wonder if the odd ip's are ISP related.

There is a chance.  Any way to figure that out?  Reseting the router does remove the excess IP until it starts accumulating again.

JaLooNz

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 06:30:20 AM »

Can Dlink already reproduce this issue? Among those polled >50% has experienced issues with DNS relay.

As this feature is not really that important, I suggest that the option should at least be disabled by default in the next firmware if it is not fixed.

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 08:06:11 AM »

Can Dlink already reproduce this issue? Among those polled >50% has experienced issues with DNS relay.

As this feature is not really that important, I suggest that the option should at least be disabled by default in the next firmware if it is not fixed.

So far, I don't think they have been able to reproduce it.

Angelis83lt

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »

I wonder if any of them have taken the Router Home with them and have tried to run it on a standard broadband connection with at least one other computer hooked up.  Doing it in a lab is all fine and good, but lab vs real world could show differences. Just wondering. 

The accumulation of DNS entries is odd. One of them points to Stillwater, mn to a telecom company. That is just odd. Perhaps the thing is just searching for ANY DNS that it can find. Those it can grab it adds maybe. At least if none is set in the router?  I have not had any issues with the DNS relay, I have had other issues with the router not doing what it should be.

ekarlw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 01:19:34 AM »

... but they could have level II support contact someone who's reported the problem and get some log / configuration dumps. The general purpose of these forums is to 1. Cut down on customer support calls by giving users a discussion resource, and 2. For technical support to monitor for issues...

mackworth

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 09:08:03 AM »

... but they could have level II support contact someone who's reported the problem and get some log / configuration dumps. The general purpose of these forums is to 1. Cut down on customer support calls by giving users a discussion resource, and 2. For technical support to monitor for issues...

I agree a 100%.  This issue has been going on for a while.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5281.0

First post about this was May 1st. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8