• March 28, 2024, 11:48:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Win7 loose connection during copying files  (Read 4350 times)

Carloroma63

• Level 1 Member
Win7 loose connection during copying files
« on: September 10, 2016, 03:33:57 AM »

Hi,
I've a problem with my DNS-320 while copying file in it. During copy, W7 tell me "there is a problem accessing z:\...... (full path), Make sure you are connected to the network and try again". Clicking on "try again" it restart, but after few minutes the messages come back again. This problem is present with both pc in the network (both with W7)
I' see similar problem form other user, but none solution was ok for me.
I'tried to isolate the network connection, connecting the NAs and the pc via a direct cable and giving them two static IP, but no luck. Ping always answer but NAS web interface often hang.
On one of two pc I've tried to modify the autentication method, the autodisconnect timer, etc etc, but no luck also.

It seems that the problem start after a "disk full" event on the NAS volume. I checked the volume with "scan disk" from the NAS web interface, but no error was discovered.
I see another problem also. From W7 I'm not able to delete some empty directory, it ask for "root" authorization.
My NAS firmware is updated to the last version.

Some of you have an idea about this?
Thank

Carlo

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Win7 loose connection during copying files
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 09:52:15 AM »

Use XP?

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=50701.msg188256#msg188256

I remember reading other posts that are similar, but my search terms must not have been correct.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 11:04:37 AM »

A little more information please.

1) size of your disks and how they are setup (RAID 0, 1, JBOD or single disks)?
2) you mention a 'disk full' event, how did you resolve that and how full are the disks at the moment?
An example from one of our 320 boxes
Space Status:
Total "Volume_1" Space = 981351 MBytes, Used Space = 739122 MBytes, Free Space = 242228 MBytes.   
3) have you tried activating the FTP server of the NAS and adding the service to your user and then using FileZilla to copy the file to the NAS?
4) is the fan running at full speed and does the surface of the box feel hot?
5) have you win7 computers updated from MS recently?

There are reasons for all those questions and your answers will give us a better insight to your problem.

Carloroma63

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »

@ IVAN
1 - Raid is 1: two WD30EZRX-00DC0B0W 3TB disk
2 - disk free space was about 30 GB, of 3TB.
3 - no, I did'nt.
4 - fan works and temperature is quiet warm. In this moment, the disk temperature is 40° and the system temperature is 48°
5 - both Win7 pc are fully updated.

However, now I've fried more disk space (I've just discovered the need of using the hidden recycle bin, now free space is mode then 300 GB) and problem seems to be resolved.

It was significant that, while the disk was near to be full,  the DNS web interface stop  to work or hang also.
Is there e minimum of free space needed from the system to run? I'm really confident with Windows disks and they usually works fine up to the last free byte!! Usually, also Windows works almost fine up to system disk is really near to be full. Do the DNS operating system the same? For its own job, DNS OS uses the Volume_1 disk space (in a hidden directory) or use a private/reserved disk space?

@RYAT3

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit on two pc: Professional Edition on a laptop and Ultimate Edition on a desktop, both update to the last security patch. The network is full cabled at 1000 Mb/s.

Thanks a lot.

Carlo
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:57:42 AM by Carloroma63 »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 12:28:17 PM »

OK, you have discovered what I thought was the problem.

The use of the recycle bin is more a function of windows than it is of the Linux based firmware in the NAS (windows expects to delete files to the recycle bin unless you tell it not to - it will even create a recycle bin if there isn't one available on non windows systems).

There is also a problem with the way windows calculates disk space on anything that is not a NTFS formatted file system.  An example of this is at http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=65447.0 and the win10 CIFS/SMB implementation is worse and that will filter down to win7 in an 'update'.

Have you tried using 'shift'+'delete' on highlighted files you want to delete on both the NAS and your computers?  We find that when we do that (we have a copy of win7 pro running in a VM) the recycle bin is not used at all in win7 or the NAS.

Carloroma63

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:21:38 AM »

You are right about the RecycleBin. If I delete files from Win7 with Shift+Canc, they were deleted and disk space were left free, otherwise I need to purge manually the NAS RecycleBin.
However, Windows has a different policy: it purge automatically its RB when needed. Why DNS do not do the same?

And what about my other question? is there a minimal free disk space needed by DNS OS to work?

Thanks

Carlo

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 05:39:31 AM »

I will try and answer your questions.

Why doesn't the NAS automatically empty the recycle bin?  This is down to what the NAS is - it's primary function is a STORAGE device where files are kept safe from being deleted.  You do NOT want it to delete anything without your input, at least I and our clients don't.  A computer, on the other hand, tends to be a temporary device where files get changed and deleted quite often. 

Now regarding disk space.

First, the DNS-320 like almost all small NAS boxes uses a software RAID setup (there is no dedicated physical controller chip and memory for each disk as in hardware RAID units). 

That software RAID setup is allowed for in how the disks are formatted and you do lose some space.  A typical 1.5TB disk ends up with approximately 1474368 MBytes of usable disk space (we see this amount of space on all our units with 1.5TB disks setup as RAID 1).  Some of that usable space may also be taken up by some of the addon services.

In theory it is possible to fill all that usable disk space.  In practice we have been able to fill to 99% without any problems.  The missing 1% is down to the way files are stored on the disk media and the actual size of the files themselves and any file fragmentation.  While the Ext2/3/4 file system tends to resist fragmentation in practice it does happen but depends on the mix of file sizes.

With that basic information in mind and knowing the windows does things with files that is different to linux (windows can't even get the correct amount of disk space) there is going to be a point when windows thinks the disk is full when in fact it isn't.  What that point is I do not know because a) we don't use windows and b) neither do any of our clients so we have not seen it as a problem.

I know this is rather long winded with the simple answer being, in a Linux environment NO but in a Windows environment YES, but I thought it necessary to give the reason.