• April 18, 2024, 10:28:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Motion detect annoyance..  (Read 4315 times)

pressfirenow

• Level 1 Member
Motion detect annoyance..
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:55:28 AM »

I use my dlink 2132L in an appartment to just watch my front-door (about only entry point living on the 4th floor). So after leaving the appartment I turn on motion detection, and before entering the appartment I turn it off.

BUT.. every time I turn motion detection on (after leaving appartment) it starts by triggering a motion detected.. which triggers a pretty noise alarm in my appartment plus a mail send to me with video.

It actually seems that the algoritm/software in the camera when turning on motion detection starts by comparing the current image with last image taken before motion detection was turned off...

When I turn the motion detection off it's usually in the evening with low lights.. when I turn it on, it's in the morning and there's more light.. So it seems when turning it on in the morning the camera starts by comparing the last image it had before I turned off motion detection in the night. Of course these are different and thereby trigger a motion detection.

I did some further tests trying to prove this.. here is how to recreate it fast:

1. motion detect off..
2. turn off lights in room it's monitoring..
3. turn motion detect on..
4. turn motion detecf off..
5. turn on lights in room
6. turn motion detect on .. and now it will send a motion detection on startup..

if you just leave the lights on (or off) and turn motion detection on and off repeatedly it will not trigger any motion detection.

btw: when talking motion detect I'm not talking about PIR.. PIR seems to have way too many false positives so I skipped using that.

Also I'm always running with IR (night-mode) as the camera will also do false positives when switching from day to night mode etc..

The only thing the camera can see is a corridor with a front-door .. no windows/movement etc.

I could of course always have motion detection on, and then turn on/off the event linked to the motion detection, but then my log will be cluttered with motion detections.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:04:05 PM by pressfirenow »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Motion detect annoyance..
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »

This makes some sort of sense in your detective work.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Motion detect annoyance..
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:52:28 PM »

If you switch to photo mode this would eliminate ur problem. of course that's a poor workaround. Seems like a flaw in the software. Have u made an inquiry to the manufacturer? Why not FTP the video for 24x7 recording?

I recommended to this dude that he put his 2132L on his door (I have had no issues with heavy duty velcro), and get a 5222L for his room behind that.

My 2132L is set in auto mode, but stays in IR mode all the time....

I set up video motion with FTP... the 2132L can't handle 24x7 SD recording with FTP, as I miss everyone walking by...3 seconds pre recording isn't enough...but works fine without SD recording enabled.

I'm on the lookout for package thieves....