• April 23, 2024, 10:51:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 5.0 GHz Range Problem  (Read 4394 times)

weinstro

• Level 1 Member
5.0 GHz Range Problem
« on: April 27, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »

Any thoughts on how to resolve 5.0 GHz range issues?  ???

On 802.11n only, I get 47% signal strength at a distance of 5 feet. However, this distance isn't practical in my home. At 30 feet, the SSID cannot be detected. At 20 feet, I get 19% - not stable.

I need usable signal strength for stable audio streaming at a range of 30 feet, through one interior wall.

I'm using a DIR 925, Dell laptop with XP Home, and a DWA-160.

Thanks,

Rob

Gadget

• Level 2 Member
Re: 5.0 GHz Range Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:34:03 AM »

The 5 ghz signal is far weaker than the 2.4 ghz when it has to penetrate even a single wall.  If you have metal beams in your building instead of wood you're really toast.  You can mitigate the problem somewhat by making sure you aren't bouncing the signal off walls at an angle.  Set the router up so it's as square as possible with the wall(s) you'll be on the other side of.  Another alternative is a different (directional) antenna.

That said, there's something wrong with your reception overall.  The 2.4 ghz signal in the same room should be ultra strong, not a wimpy 47%.  I'm thinking there may be something amiss with the card/antenna/settings in your computer.   Have you tried another machine to see if it's the same?

Cheers

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: 5.0 GHz Range Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »

Any router with the 5.0 Ghz radio will have this problem.  It seems the specifications for the 5.0Ghz has placed a limit on this.