• April 19, 2024, 03:55:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dropping Wireless Connections  (Read 16719 times)

Patrick533

• Level 3 Member
Re: Dropping Wireless Connections
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »

Hello!

I am new to D-Link and throughly read through the posts on this router, and still purchased one.

I purchased a Linksys router, and could NOT take it back fast enough, a couple months back.

Heres the caveat, I am an ex electronics engineer (RF, they sent most of the jobs I did to India). I have a background in in IT also (hey, it pays the bills!). ;D

The router has been up and running for 2 days, it is getting PLENTY of use, no problem with the wired portion. I did update the firmware and configured it before I put it on line.

The question: I ran a log on the wireless last night, and over a 12 hour period, the wireless signal would drop to nothing as if the radio shut off and then would come back up. You could literally set your watch to it. I was on my way out the door for work, so I did not see if there was a setting that would cause the radio to "refresh" every so often. I have ran the same log on an Actiontec and a Linksys and the signal were solid for 12 hours on both the Actiontec and the Linksys. I surfed on the wireless part of the router last night for some time, there was NO problem getting the 30/2 that I pay for from my Internet carrier. Just the radio resetting is something I have never seen before in a wireless network. The Wireless is configured for G-Mode only! Also, auto channel of OFF!

I have 2 gamers at home and 2 video watchers (plus myself), if this router is a POS, I will know very soon. The temp in southern cal is in the 100 degree range, so if it has temp problems, we will know that too. Hopefully my experience with D-Link is better the my experience with the new Linksys routers.

After the Linksys I got a new Actiontec/Verizon router, it worked well but I need to upgrade my backbone to gigabit! The rest of my upgrade was purchased last night from newegg and it is all D-Link!

Please advise on the radio dropping like clock work.

Thank you in advance!

Pat

Does anyone know if the older firmware had this problem, say 1.2X?

mickeyfinn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »

Just to help, I run v1.21 and have a MacBook Pro laptop running during business hours over wireless N.  It runs rock solid for me.  I've been monitoring the forums here for months now, waiting to see if the new firmware versions are safe to upgrade to.  So far, I'm happy with what I have.  If you are having that severe an issue, downgrading may be a good option; though just because it works in my case is no guarantee, obviously.  Hope you get your issue resolved soon.  :)

Patrick533

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »

Just to help, I run v1.21 and have a MacBook Pro laptop running during business hours over wireless N.  It runs rock solid for me.  I've been monitoring the forums here for months now, waiting to see if the new firmware versions are safe to upgrade to.  So far, I'm happy with what I have.  If you are having that severe an issue, downgrading may be a good option; though just because it works in my case is no guarantee, obviously.  Hope you get your issue resolved soon.  :)

Thank you for the reply, are you using a wireless security mode like WEP or WPA?

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 04:02:10 PM »

Thank you for the reply, are you using a wireless security mode like WEP or WPA?

Hi Patrick533,

I can't speak for Mickeyfinn, but I am rock solid at 1.21 with SecureSpot disabled. I am using WPA2 Only! Encryption.

When they posted that you can't go back to Firmware 1.21 after upgrading to 1.3# versions, I never upgraded.

Of course, when you lose Electrical power, I need to do a Factory Reset, then restore the Configuration file.
Saves a lot of time.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Patrick533

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »

Hi Patrick533,

I can't speak for Mickeyfinn, but I am rock solid at 1.21 with SecureSpot disabled. I am using WPA2 Only! Encryption.

When they posted that you can't go back to Firmware 1.21 after upgrading to 1.3# versions, I never upgraded.

Of course, when you lose Electrical power, I need to do a Factory Reset, then restore the Configuration file.
Saves a lot of time.

Hi TheCreator!

I tried this version of 1.21 last night: dir655_firmware_121_no_securespot.bin, is that the one you are running, or just the straight 1.21?

Thank you!

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 04:52:23 PM »

Hi TheCreator!

I tried this version of 1.21 last night: dir655_firmware_121_no_securespot.bin, is that the one you are running, or just the straight 1.21?

Thank you!

Hi Patrick,

I am using the Firmware Version 1.21 with SecureSpot, but SecureSpot is not checked and works just fine.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

ke4rzi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »

I am on my second 655 which I purchased from Meritline.com.   I RMA'd the first one once I saw it dropping wireless and wired connections.  This happens completely on a random basis...  My computer has the little windows alert pop up saying that a network cable is unplugged and then within a minute it reconnects.  The same thing happens on the wireless side as well.  So 2 of these 655's have the exact same problem.  When it happened to the first one I contacted Dlink support and told them that I had already updated the firmware to see if that would help and they asked me why I would want to update firmware?   What kind of complete noob tech support asks you why would you want to update firmware?  I then contacted meritline and they RMA'd it for me hoping that a second one would work correctly.  WRONG.  Same crap different router.  I have an all gigabit network and wireless N on my new HP laptop.  I thought the 655 was a top router but, it has been no where as reliable or offered as much range as my old Linksys wrt54gs. 

I am completely let down and can't believe that such a popular model of Dlink router has these well known problems and no tech support to offer a solution.  I'm just about to ask for another RMA.  This is ridiculous.

mickeyfinn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 04:50:54 AM »

To answer the questions above I use the non-securespot 1.21NA firmware and have a completely stable wired and wireless service.  I also use WPA2 only on my main setup, and have my guest account set to WPA1/2 (TKIP and AES).  Also it is set to mixed mode (wireless G and N).

Nodens

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »

Now it's not possible to downgrade to 1.21, right?

Patrick533

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »

Now it's not possible to downgrade to 1.21, right?

Sure is, do a search, it is fully explained! I have done it several times over the last few days. Follow the instructions to the letter! The older flash memory used to have write life cycles, so I suggest not doing it a bunch.

Nodens

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 12:37:16 PM »

OK found it!!!

Nodens

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »

I downgraded to 1.21 and finally everything works fine again!!!

swabby

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 06:38:11 AM »

Hey NODENS, would you mind providing the link you found to downgrade?  Thanks!

swabby

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 07:13:43 AM »

Ok, found it at DSLreports.com.

Downgraded from 1.34NA to 1.31RU as the interim step.  Things are already working better. Wondering if I should continue on to 1.21.  Since I have owned this router I have never had a "good" signal.  Usually "one bar" or around 20%.  I have tried an upstairs and a downstairs location with only a slight improvement downstairs.  Guess I will have ask my neighbor what he is using because I receive "all bars" from his protected router!!

Patrick533

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »

Ok, found it at DSLreports.com.

Downgraded from 1.34NA to 1.31RU as the interim step.  Things are already working better. Wondering if I should continue on to 1.21.  Since I have owned this router I have never had a "good" signal.  Usually "one bar" or around 20%.  I have tried an upstairs and a downstairs location with only a slight improvement downstairs.  Guess I will have ask my neighbor what he is using because I receive "all bars" from his protected router!!

1.21 and full size antennas! It has me rocking a quarter acre, 2 story house in the LA area (the airwaves are polluted here just like the air!).

The full size antennas really made a HUGE difference with this router for range, E-Bay has some huge ones that claim a lot of gain, but after 3-6DB gain with an antenna, you run in to diminishing returns (unless you are using a dish!!!), especially if you have a 2 story house. I took the hi gain antennas (the ones that are 6.5in/16.5cm tall) off of of 2 Linksys routers that I had purchased antenna upgrades for a few years back. Even the 2 Linksys WAP's I have with the bigger antennas don't have the same signal strength as this DIR-655 at 30'. I am measuring -57Dbm at 30' through 1 wall. -79Dbm at over 100' outside the Stucco through the entire house across the yard! As far as how many BARS, that usually varies from each software/hardware manufacturer and depending on who you talk to, the Dbm measurement does NOT lie! These things only put out 32 Milliwatts, why attenuate that with a tiny antenna!
Pages: 1 [2]