• March 28, 2024, 01:42:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Slow uTorrent downloads with DI-825  (Read 7935 times)

Dave99

• Level 1 Member
Slow uTorrent downloads with DI-825
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:25:12 AM »

Hi - has anybody else encountered really slow uTorrent or Bit Torrent downloads with the DI-825?  My old DI-524 downloaded much faster.  DI-825 typically produces single digit or low double digit kB/s d/l rates with 3 or 4 simultaneous d/ls - even for very popular well-seeded current episodes of 24, Lost, and Heroes.  Infrequently one or two d/ls will hit high double digits or low hundreds but that is less than 10% of the time.  Internet connection is good and I can download up to 750 kB/s from high bandwidth dedicated servers.  uTorrent Port Forwarding Test gives me green lights and says ports are being properly forwarded.  I'm allowing legacy connections and have enabled / disabled protocol encryption without much difference.

Both of my Windows XP Pro SP3 computers suffer from poor rates.  One is hardwired and the other is wireless G with excellent > 90% reception.  Just re-installed windows on the wireless computer without improvement.  Just updated DI-825 firmware to v1.10 without much improvement to overall BT d/ls.  Running settings mostly factory default - just enough to set-up wireless.  QOS manager remains on.  I did play with a variety of settings but nothing seems to consistently improve BT d/l rates.  When I shut uTorrent off, I can stream large 8 GB media wirelessly but it takes a minute.  It stutters for the first minute or so and then becomes fluid.

BT d/ls improve significantly when I unplug my D-Link DNS-323 2-bay drive enclosure from the ethernet port.  My impression is that d/l rates aren't as good as DI-524 but they're a lot better than now.  This much is consistent.  I'm running F/W v1.06 on the DNS-323 with a Seagate drive so I didn't bother updating to 1.07 (only improves compatibility with Hitachi drives).  I tried it with jumbo frames both disabled and enabled but saw no change to BT d/l rates.

Any recommendations to improve set-up?  I spent a couple of weeks enabling / disabling / changing a variety of settings like QOS, Auto WAN speed detection, port forwarding, etc.  I'm not doing something right.  I'm asking at this point whether DI-825 is a known poor BT d/l performer and if it has known compatibility problems with DNS-323?  I hope it's just a set-up issue and somebody can recommend an appropriate combination of settings to improve BT d/l performance.

Thanks!

Dave.

Dave99

• Level 1 Member
Re: Slow uTorrent downloads with DI-825
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:47:43 PM »

53 people read this post and nobody has this problem?!

It's also helpful to know if I'm the only one with this issue.

Anybody?

sgip2000

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:28:56 AM »

This is from F/W 1.10 release notes:

What changes have been done to the latest firmware for my DIR-825?

Release Notes:

Firmware: 1.10 (Beta)
Date: 04/14/09

1. Add DHCP Patch.
2. Re-design GUI: Add "Advanced DNS Service" and changes the description.
3. Modify the term from "Network USB" to "Shareport" in the option of "My USB Type is:"
4. Fix IGMP issue when Enable Multicast Streams.
5. Removed 3G from the GUI.
6. Fix Guest Zone,SharePort(USB spec v1.05) Enable Routing Between Zones error.
7. Fix WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK Security set special character error.
8. Firmware cannot be downgraded to previous versions.
9. Add Graphical authentication.
10. Removed 802.11b support
11. Update XML Agent 1.08
12. Fix Router time is not reset when factory reset.
13. Fix DNS Relay issue.
14. Upnp-X fixed
15. HTTPS Certificate
16. Fix schedule end time error.
17. Update new SharePort
18. BT improvement.

It looks like D-Link may know there's a problem.

Dave99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »

Agreed.  But what about the people?  Am I the only guy with this problem?  Seems like it's just me so I'll keep digging on my own and call tech support.

If anybody else has this problem then it would be a good idea to chime in so Tech Support understands the occurrence is more widespread than just one guy.

seggers

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:30:49 PM »

Dave,

Be grateful you can even get BTs to go. My version of Vuze won't play with this at all, and I'm at my wits end to know how to put a hole in the fw in order to get it to go.

Dave (Seggers)

Gadget

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:42:58 AM »

Dave,

Just an idea, have you tried asking your question on a torrent forum?  Since the majority of torrents are used to exchange copyrighted software/music etc some might not want to get involved in that discussion here.  Someone on the Utorrent forum might have just the 'how to' you're looking for.

Then come back here and tell us the answer ;)

Dave99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »

Suggestion noted.  I just find it odd that DLink would have a problem with uTorrent when they actively market the DLink DNS-323 NAS enclosure WITH A BUILT IN BIT TORRENT CLIENT.

Anyway I'll see what else I can dig up for the pruds.  ;)