• April 24, 2024, 06:38:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How Bad Is It?  (Read 3831 times)

Syaoran

• Level 3 Member
How Bad Is It?
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »

I have a DGL-4500 that has been replaced twice now.  The original one I bought had plenty of issues regardless of the firmware used.  The second was completely useless because it rebooted on it's own after 10 seconds of up time repeatedly.  The A2 I have no slows to a crawl after a couple of days use and the WiFi drops way too many packets regardless of what's connected to it.  D-Link refuses to give me a refund and the only othe product they've offered me was a significantly cheaper DIR=655.  Obviously, I'm not going to settle for a significantly cheaper product so I was wondering how bad the issues were with the DIR-855.  I need my wireless to work and reliably on both N and G.  I need my wired to be upto speed and reliable for sending large files through the network.  I also game so it would definitely have to handle heavy traffic loads reliably and consistantly.  Is there a revision and firmware match for this router that will deliver what I need it to do?

MrC

Re: How Bad Is It?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:44:35 PM »

Hmmm, hard to say.  Your mileage may vary. Some see lots of troubles, such as daily freeze/reboots, or very frequent disconnects.  I haven't experienced such major problems (or the unit would have been returned).  Best to review the forums here first.

I have distance issues with the 2G radio; it won't maintain a connection with a given device from 10 feet.  Previous Belkin Pre-N had no trouble with the same client.

There are other minor issues.  For example: NTP time server doesn't work, can't send to syslog or SMTP server on LAN ports.  It can't be used as a router on a LAN (i.e. WAN port can't be used as an uplink on a LAN). Support is very poor.

I'm not likely to purchase another D-Link AP/router.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »

No problems here with DIR-855 and latest firmware.
Wireless is stable (with 11N clients only). 5GHz radio could have a little bit more speed and range but compared with other manufacturers still ok.

Quote from: MrC
For example: NTP time server doesn't work, can't send to syslog or SMTP server on LAN ports.
NTP server works from Internet as this device is intended to be a internet gateway.
Sending to a syslog server works too as long the syslog is in the same LAN as the DIR (Using the free Kiwi syslog here to monitor all my devices).

Quote from: MrC
It can't be used as a router on a LAN...
Yes, it's a SOHO internet gateway with NAT/PAT.

It does its job here reliable. If you don't need 5 GHz radio, think of the DIR-655. It will give you almost the same features besides the second radio.

Syaoran

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I've read a lot of threads around here but there doesn't seem to be much recent activity to judge if enough has been fixed.  I do need the 5GHz so that's why I'm looking at this product as a possible issued replacement for the ridiculously defective DGL-4500 (which I'm on my third).  Slow is one thing and poor range hopefully won't be that much of a big deal.  In the end, i need my network up 24/7 so wireless disconnects, router lockups, etc are something I can't tollerate.  I know this router can't be worse than the DGL-4500 line but I'm hoping it will be at least a step up in terms of reliablility since D-Link refuses to refund me. 

MrC

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »

NTP server works from Internet as this device is intended to be a internet gateway.
Sending to a syslog server works too as long the syslog is in the same LAN as the DIR (Using the free Kiwi syslog here to monitor all my devices).
Yes, it's a SOHO internet gateway with NAT/PAT.

We know the limitations.  But assigning the name "internet gateway" is hardly justification for preventing the unit from sending syslog and NTP traffic to the default gateway for traffic the unit does not consider on the LAN.  There are plenty of installations that have other routers beyond the units LAN, that still reside inside the perimeter (eg. non WAN).  The restriction is silly and pointless.

Another bug I just found.  In firmware 1.20, the device does not automatically or manually detect that new firmware is available (1.21NA).  Nothing in the 1.21NA release notes indicate this is resolved.