• April 23, 2024, 06:41:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: UPS support via USB  (Read 6425 times)

mig

• Level 3 Member
UPS support via USB
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »

First, I'd like to say thanks for opening up this forum to users. 
It's great to see D-link development/support is interested in what the owners are experiencing.

With the firmware updates at two month intervals, then no update for more than seven months,
users began to wonder if development for the DNS-323 had reached end-of-life.

It's great to see you are actively testing new firmware.

Now, here is my issue...

In the role of a network storage device, I think the lack of UPS support is one of the biggest short
comings of the DNS-323, especially since the DNS-323 uses a non-journaling file system (ext2).

Is D-link considering adding UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) support via USB?

mig

• Level 3 Member
Re: UPS support via USB
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 09:36:46 PM »

Well, it's been over a week and no response to my query, perhaps
this forum is not the place to discuss product enhancements?

Is power outage protection a feature not considered appropriate for
a low end consumer NAS, such as the DNS-323, or is there some
technical road block which prevents this feature from being implemented?

DRT-1000

• n00b
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 08:11:56 AM »

Duno how technical, but prolly a roadblock of sorts....

Also, this thread has 34 views, it means people are reading it, just not replying.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:57:42 PM by We Are Many »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »

Well - I'm sure some of the views are from folks like myself - who would also like to see it happen - or - if not by USB, how about via the network.

Here's where I'm coming from - my DNS-323 sits on a rack shelf, and is fed, like everything else in the rack from a Powerware UPS - the UPS is connected via RS232 to a Windows server running LANSafe, Powerware's monitoring software.  This Windows server can act as a controller and shut down other servers (also running LANSafe) using the network for communication, before shutting itself down and turning the UPS off.

I have a suspicion that part of the problem is that there is no standardized UPS communication protocol - different manufacturers use different methods - and so far the only monitoring software I've seen that communicates with other manufacturers' UPS has been one from TrippLite.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

fmenard123

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 06:21:54 PM »

I am also awaing this functionality.  The only thing which has me thinking that we may not be too much in trouble, is the possibility that an electrical loss happens at the same time than I am writing to the box is rather small.  With hard drive spindown after 5 minutes, when power is going to die, the drives are likely to be idle.

However, I do think tha the ability to speak to a UPS via the USB port is helluva more important than using the USB port as a print server.

I'd really love D-Link to provide an answer as to why they cannot implement this functionality.

francois a t t t menards dot t t ca

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »

My old NAS is sold on eBay was a buffalo. It support USB Printer and second Drive (i have 2 USB port on it), another Buffalo product support UPS, but no PrintServer. I think it's the same thing for the DNS-323 ... only supporter PrintServer...
but you got a good point... I configure fiew BuffaloNas with UPS support to shutdown when only 5 min of power left. That prevent any trouble with the NAS.
In the future Firmware, having this option will be very interesting.

Junkyboy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »

I signed up for this board to look for solutions for remotely shutting down the 323 as well, since we've had several power outages lately and I was lucky enough to be home for them. I have mine connected to a linux server running apcupsd. I took a chance and tried invoking the web based shutdown action via script and it worked. So I simply added a doshutdown script for apcupsd like so:
Code: [Select]
DNS_323IP=192.168.1.193
/usr/bin/GET http://$DNS_323IP/goform/sysShutDown 2>&1

and it shutdown.

Interesting to note, the script doesn't have to authenticate. :(