• April 25, 2024, 08:01:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Motion detection when switching between night/day  (Read 13335 times)

snav

• Level 1 Member
Motion detection when switching between night/day
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:48:02 AM »

This is so annoying, i've had the camera on for a bit over two hours now and i've gotten 23 emails with images when it switches from day to night vision.

It must defy its purpose when i don't even bother to check all attached images when being spammed from the camera, since i need to work instead.

(have gotten 7 new mail since starting to write this message, som now where are up to 30... hold on 32 mails)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Motion detection when switching between night/day
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:20:32 AM »

Please see the following thread: DCS-932 - Motion Detection Settings
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

snav

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:48:29 AM »

Im not sure how that would help me... since it sends emails every time it switches between night/day mode.
Sensitivity could have anything to do when it switches right??

I've set it up to send 5 images every time motion triggers and all mail contains 2 images of either day/night and 3 images of the other kind.
So this must be send when switching between modes and not the actual light triggering motion detection.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:00:05 AM »

Sorry, posted the wrong link.  :-[  The DCS-932L uses changes in adjacent video frames (i.e. pixel differentiation) to trigger motion detection events. If the camera is transitioning between day/night or night/day, then the camera will trigger a motion detection event because the last daytime image is in color while the next night mode image is in black-and-white, causing the detection algorithm to see two very different images.

Unfortunately, the current firmware does not have the capacity to filter/exclude these events.

colinnhunt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »

This is an issue that affects all 3 of my cameras. I have spent several hours both trying different settings, and on the phone with Dlink support. Got all the way to level 3 support... All 3 fellows told me they'd never heard of the problem, then the level 3 guy phoned me back to say that a new firmware version set for release at the end of Feb would include the fix. We'll see. I have also contacted competing vendors who all say their cameras don't have this problem.

rowdyplace

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:39:12 PM »

Im not sure how that would help me... since it sends emails every time it switches between night/day mode.
Sensitivity could have anything to do when it switches right??

I've set it up to send 5 images every time motion triggers and all mail contains 2 images of either day/night and 3 images of the other kind.
So this must be send when switching between modes and not the actual light triggering motion detection.

Not to hijack this thread, but how does one make/adjust this setting?  I seem to only see the default of 6 images per email.

colinnhunt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »

You can't change the number of images emailed, it's 6 on my cameras... 3 before the trigger and 3 after.

In terms of the problem, it's only a limitation on the current firmware... If they wanted to, Dlink could simply introduce a 15 second suspension of the motion detection function when the mode shifted from day to night or night to day. That way, the mode could change and the image could stabilize without triggering an email.

colinnhunt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »

Do you know of anyway to increase the frequency of the triggers? For example, when there is motion in the "boxed area" set, a snapshot is taken. But it seems if there is further motion withing the "boxed area" within a minute, no snapshot is taken. What I'm saying is there is a one minute pause period it seems. How to capture more photos?

I've never found a way to adjust that, it would be nice to be able to cut down the interval time to 15 seconds... or even have the camera keep snapping images as long as there is movement.

rowdyplace

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 07:49:53 PM »

Maybe I'm stepping over the line, but I feel this forum is for the exchange of technical solutions.

I fought this product limited function for a few days.  Then, dusted off an old free program "Yawcam".  This easily accepts the 932l cameras and the motion detection/ftp/email function has solved my issues.  It is not perfect, but gives more flexibility to motion detection issues. You are still going to get the false reports with day/night switching.

This is a well supported - FREE - piece of software that has stood the test of time.  No frills, bells, or whistles...just a capable program.

Feel free to PM me for my details.

Other than as a user, I have NO affiliation with Yawcam (Yet Another Web Cam).

Mods: kill this response If I am out of line...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:12:51 AM »

Is this an application that monitors network cameras? Can you please expand on the functionality. If it's applicable, you can reply to the following thread and I'll add this to our list of third-party applications: D-Link Network Cameras - Third Party Applications to Monitor

rowdyplace

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »

Not sure where you want my words.

Yes, Yawcam, known as Yet Another Web Cam, works well with the dLink 932L.  It also works with the USB cams. I have 4 932's  in use now as home security cams in the same home.  (Still working out small details.)

Currently, I am making use of the dlink software and Yawcam at the same time, on the same cameras.  I am seeing that the motion detection capabilities of Yawcam are better (more flexible).

Google and download yourself a copy.  It is pretty versatile & intuitive.  You have to run multiple copies of Yawcam to use multiple cams.  But, that is easy.  They have a forum with many active users and 2 real experts that are full of help.

I am not affiliated with Yawcam in any way,,,and the program is free.

RLS2

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 12:15:55 AM »

Yawcam sounds very interesting. Can you tell us exactly whats different in terms of the motion? And other aspects of the feature set? Thanks in advance.

rowdyplace

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 02:06:15 AM »

Yawcam sounds very interesting. Can you tell us exactly whats different in terms of the motion? And other aspects of the feature set? Thanks in advance.

Nope.  But, I can give you the link and you can do your own research.
http://www.yawcam.com.  It took me about an hour to learn this program.

RLS2

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 03:20:10 AM »

I saw the link on ur other post. Btw how about a synopsis ie bullet points of the differences which are obvious if you have time? Basically, compare and contrast the two? And we can give you our feedback later?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »

If anyone would like to comment on this application please feel free to post a synopsis here: D-Link Network Cameras - Third Party Applications to Monitor;)
Pages: [1] 2