• April 26, 2024, 07:20:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Media Library / UPnP AV Server Issues  (Read 24540 times)

tsphipps

• Level 1 Member
Media Library / UPnP AV Server Issues
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »

Hi I wonder if someone can help.

I am fairly new to the DNS-320L but I am using mine primarily as a media server for my WD TV Live media player. I am sharing the root volume - 'Volume_1'.

Everything is fine once the media library is built until I add/remove/move media. As soon as I do files appear on the media player in strange locations, duplicates files AND folders appear, deleted files still show up etc but when checking in 'My Files' everything is in order. Even refreshing the media library doesn't seem to make any difference. The only work around I can find to make everything right again is to delete and then recreate the media library.

Has anyone got any ideas what I am doing wrong? Constantly deleting and recreating the media library is becoming a bit tedious... :(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:25:08 PM by tsphipps »

Mausschubser

• Level 2 Member
Re: Media Library / UPnP AV Server Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »

Hi!

I assume that the reason is that you made the root folder as the Media Library. Better make a sub-folder "media" and use this. (Go to Account Management, set up a Network-Share Volume_1\media, then add this to the Multimedia Service).
The DNS-320L has a recycle bin folder, which contains deleted files and the folder strcuture. Because this is under root, I can think of that the media server also scans this. You can see this folder, when you enter the IP address of your DNS in the Windows Explorer address bar: e.g. \\192.168.1.123 or \\DNS-320L. This shows a folder "Recycle Bin - Volume_1". Browse through it...

Finally this is just a guess, but it is not a big thing to create the sub-folder and move all files into that and give it a try.

good luck...

tsphipps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »

Hi Mausschubser,

Thanks very much. I did wonder if this could be the cause which is why I included that detail in my question, but I had no idea why it would, thanks for giving details and confirming.

I am going to make the change now and will come back in a few days and confirm if the issue is resolved as it may help someone else in the future.

Thanks again.

tsphipps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »

Just to confirm this does seem to have solved the issue. Many thanks again Mausschubser!

One last question; is it really necessary to manually refresh the media library every time new media files are added to have them appear on Media Players? Cheers

Belisari

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:27:11 PM »

hi both Mausschubser and sphipps

I read your topic due to I bouthg this dns, recently and don't know how to acces from my philips tv.

Just today I could acces to the media folder, and see the movies there.
My problem is I can't reproduce them from the tv.

I know the files are not a problem due to tried same ones trougth usb and run perfect

I have a confusion how to manage that, and the manual doesn't help at all because explain how to do things and the parameters, but doesn't expose what you need to do.

So the tv is dlne compatible as well as de dns
I created the media folder and put there the movies (I have some extrange root and folders) maybe done wrong
but I don't know how to set up the dns as a media center step by step

any one of you are able to let me know what Is needed and the order of the steps? do you know any guide or page where find it?

thanks a lot

tsphipps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »

Hi Belisari,

I'm afraid I'm not sure I can help. I simply followed the steps from page 152 - 154 in the manual and it appeared on my Western Digital TV Live Media Player.

The only thing I can suggest is that you refresh the media library if you haven't already. That is found in Management > Application Management > Multimedia Services > Multimedia Shares Settings > Refresh as new media will not appear via UPnP AV until this is done and at the moment that is a manual process - annoyingly. Roll on the next firmware update (hopefully)!!

I hope this helps.

Ardalista

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »

@Belisari  - What version of firmware have you got installed at the moment?

stephil

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 02:40:15 AM »

@Belisari : I had exact same issue with Philips TV.
I also upgraded all to latest firmwares with no fun...
What it looks to help is refreshing the library and (perhaps) prevent use of exotic characters in filenames.
Refreshing the library is ridiculously long. It may takes days and you'll never be certain it will actually work.
I followed another guy's suggestion to split sharing into subfolders, I'm in these days doing so but at the end of the day it will still take in total teh same time, with the future advantage of refreshing only selected subfolders if needed.
However it also seems that subfolder sharing is limited to maximum 10, quite annoying.

Belisari

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 01:24:26 AM »

Hi and thank all,

I been busy and couldn't atend the forum and nas either.
I'll try to dedicate some timee withing the weekend

I have no idea right now the firmware. But when installed last weeksaw was the last one Available on d-link page support.

Yes I agree the refresh proces takes to long, is manuall and when couldn't get access affter that resoult frustrating.

Hope we could fix it

Let me try by doing from cero
Step by step paying attention your recomendations

By the way, it is suposed the nas should be visible and accesible directly.
Don't need to have the pc on. To be able to reproduce the photos or films as far as tv is dlna 1.5 compatible. Doesn't it?

Thanks

Belisari

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:01:09 AM »

@Belisari  - What version of firmware have you got installed at the moment?

Actual versión del firmware de NAS   
Fecha del firmware   
03/29/2013

Belisari

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 02:04:41 AM »

The only thing I can suggest is that you refresh the media library if you haven't already. That is found in Management > Application Management > Multimedia Services > Multimedia Shares Settings > Refresh as new media will not appear via UPnP AV until this is done and at the moment that is a manual process - annoyingly. Roll on the next firmware update (hopefully)!!

I done, and toke to long.
after that I refreshed the default dns settings and it was even worse. the folder couldent be visible.
So, as you suggested, I am triying now configure again following the manual

Belisari

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 03:49:03 AM »

There was not exit on my try.

I can acces to the dns from tv

when came in can see three folders as: Music, Video, Photo

this is not the structure I created and after navigating on video, there is two new folders an going down, can find my folder and movies, but when try to reply any one, the message is, the file is unknow format or missing.

if go to the photo folder and try to see my photos, is exactly the same.
So, I can't recognice the structure I created on my dns files, and still not see any picture or movie.

But still not understand why or what I am doing wrong.

My tv is a philips 37pfl7606h/12 model and it is dlna compatible

so, any idea please!!! still lost!
thanks

stephil

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:38:18 AM »

Hi Belisari, I'm having quite similar issues with library structure.
And I too own 2 Philips TVs.
I have however installed Xmbc client on one PC to see if dlna library on the NAS is ok (then Philips fault) or not.
Well, actually the NAS is doing bad: yesterday I was completely pi**ed off by keeping refreshing and refreshing so I deleted all share list of folders, then disabled the uPnP service, so practically no share at all.
Indeed both XMBC and Philips TVs stopped to see the NAS as dlna device.
Then I re-enabled the service but with NO shared folders.
Xmbc then showed some pictures to be available on DLNA device (NAS) located in folders like "upnp://.....".
But those pictures are not actually there and can't be displayed obviously.
Clearly something resident from previous attempts in the NAS library that can't be reset.
Adding a shared folder and refresh the library again can't help either, those non-existing pictures are still there...
I could not find a way to reset the full library unless I go reformatting the NAS, which I'm not going to do!!
I also liked the idea of reflecting the structure :
-Video
-Audio
-Pictures
given by default by the NAS, so I populated 3 subfolders exactly in the same way, however this stupid thing is showing in the Picture option also jpg of CD covers that are in the Music subfolder...
You can imaging how many folders I have there....
I'm really planning the option to install a DLNA server on a PC to see if it behaves differently than this...

Belisari

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 02:11:26 AM »

I could not find a way to reset the full library unless I go reformatting the NAS, which I'm not going to do!!

thanks for sharing your experience.

since I have not to much data on the dns yet, I am able to reformating the nas once again. I could do it if you think makes sense, to try.

because I tried by refreshing, restarting default settings and have no idea what more to do. Maybe is a firmware issue.

Just one thing, I have two HD with raid 1. Hope this doesn't cause any additional trouble. I am to new on this matters.

so, just confirm me i'll arrive late in the evening at home so will do nothing in next 8 h. but after that will try.

wich is sugested folders structure?
just awaitint heare from you again.
thanks

stephil

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »

Oh, looking at the troubles I'm facing I'd rather ask help to someone else....
Raid should not be an issue, but if you look for my posts I'm also having the "No volumes found" problem that is another annoying matter.
Either my unit is faulty or firmware here is really poor...

If I were you I'd experiment a folder structure with few files until It satisfies me and then put data on it, assuming it works.....
Pages: [1] 2