• April 19, 2024, 02:41:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-825 A1 FW 1.11NA with DWA-160 A2, Windows 7, dual band question  (Read 4120 times)

tk_

• Level 1 Member

All the DLink software kept causing my fresh install/updated Windows 7 to BSOD.  Could not get any wireless connection even with ripping dlink out of the registry since the uninstaller for the DWA-160 did absolutely nothing zero zip nada.
Luckily, I had set a restore point prior to installing the DWA-160, and restored back to that, then manually installed ONLY the latest driver for it.  Now I am connected to the 2.4Ghz  G  side but cannot find a way to get the dual band, so vehemently advertised for this router and NIC, to work.

The 2.4Ghz G connection shows connection speeds usually between 216 and 300Mbs.

I don't see a way to connect the DWA-160 via the 5Ghz  N.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance,
tk

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: DIR-825 A1 FW 1.11NA with DWA-160 A2, Windows 7, dual band question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 10:28:20 PM »

You can't connect 2,4 and 5 GHz at the same time with DWA-160.
It has only one radio so you have to choose which band to use.

Quote from: tk_
... Now I am connected to the 2.4Ghz  G  side but cannot find a way to get the dual band, so vehemently advertised for this router and NIC, to work. ...

There are also dualband routers which can use either 2.4 or 5 GHz and there are some with two radios which can use both frequencies at the same time.
But there is no way to connect a wireless adapter to both frequencies.
At least not in the moment.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 10:30:07 PM by lizzi555 »

tk_

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-825 A1 FW 1.11NA with DWA-160 A2, Windows 7, dual band question
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »

It has only one radio so you have to choose which band to use.

Oh, their marketing is good.  You have to think really literally when you read what they say about the adapter.  I got caught thinking the "or" meant 'at the same time'.    :-[

Thanks for the clarification!
tk